Why 8V8 Is Superior

59 replies to this topic

#1 Corbantu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:31 PM

"Viper 3 this is cobra 6, we have a possible bogie in sector Gulf Seven. I'm going to need you to get PID"

"Roger Cobra 6, proceeding along vector Foxtrot. Viper 3 out"

"Cobra 6 this Viper 3, reconnaissance complete. Two confirmed Hostiles in Gulf 7. They're moving southward along Gulf line. Recommend ambush at Gulf 3."

"Good copy Viper 3, houndog 2 and myself proceeding to Gulf 3. Hold back until we make contact then engage at will".

"Viper 3, Roger wilco".

Much better experience than "everyone target Kilo", "Everyone target gulf", "okay now everyone target ligma....balls".

Edited by Corbantu, 22 March 2022 - 02:33 PM.

#2 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:02 PM

What you wrote above was honestly your primary experience during the 5 day test?

That was the majority of comms in your drop while you were dropping solo (cause you can do it in any mode as a group drop)?

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,796 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:05 PM

i noticed the use of coms was increased a bit. lots of games had 2 or more people talking, i even used my mic a couple times. its amazing what you can do with "flankers echo seven". turn an almost certain loss into a victory.

#4 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:07 PM

It is. But ppls gonna trash anything you try to make stick today.

#5 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:12 PM

The only thing 8v8 is superior is fun at is sucking the fun out of the game.

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,796 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:41 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 22 March 2022 - 03:07 PM, said:

It is. But ppls gonna trash anything you try to make stick today.

old grognards hate change. and pgi is incapable of any significant change. even if pgi found a way to make mwo great again, the grognards would blatantly reject it with all the venom they can muster.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 March 2022 - 03:43 PM.

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,826 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:38 PM

8v8 good, but need 2 assault mech per team max. Grunt. Posted Image
no, seriously, that’s’ my take on it. Force people to communicate, limit assault mechs per team. Done.

#8 Corbantu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:44 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 22 March 2022 - 03:02 PM, said:

What you wrote above was honestly your primary experience during the 5 day test?

That was the majority of comms in your drop while you were dropping solo (cause you can do it in any mode as a group drop)?

I almost exclusively play in 2-3 man groups, and it's rare we're able to do anything like the above in a 12vs12. More likely it's "hey, the entire team is on the bluff at G3 again. Looks like their entire team is at the bluff at Hotel 3. Wanna see if we can sneak behind them and get a few shots in?", "nah, if we don't stick with the murder ball our whole side may get overwhelmed.". "Okay, we'll just prode their line and hope there's an opening eventually.".

Like it can happen in a 12vs12, but with so many people and congestion on the battlefield you're gonna get spotted and anytime you or a party get spotted away from the murder ball, the opposing murder ball shifts to get the smaller group. 24 people matches are really detrimental to small team tactics.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,668 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:56 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 22 March 2022 - 04:38 PM, said:

8v8 good, but need 2 assault mech per team max. Grunt. Posted Image
no, seriously, that’s’ my take on it. Force people to communicate, limit assault mechs per team. Done.

Actually, the current 12vs12 and their "8v8" should have been setup with the Primary Queue MM (or Solo after all groups went to GQ) its Group Queue MM setup for the Soup Queue. Even back when the game had 8v8 with groups in the Primary Queue, groups were restricted to 1 mech/weight class, and that 8v8 and the 12vs12 before the Soup Queue, teams had matching weight classes.

imho, that is what really messed up their test run this weekend. Mind you, beer drinking buddies groups vs unit groups worth give a dang would still throw the matches off, but that was happening prior to the Soup Queue.

#10 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:12 PM

I only got a couple games in the 8v8 weekend. They seemed pretty normal but shorter. Which favors what, low ammo loads? But what 8v8 needs is two lances splayed all over the battlefield to explain the missing 4 per side.

#11 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:37 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 March 2022 - 03:41 PM, said:

old grognards hate change. and pgi is incapable of any significant change. even if pgi found a way to make mwo great again, the grognards would blatantly reject it with all the venom they can muster.

It means they actually have to change their builds.. They are mad because there are no longer 11 mechs to defend their lrm boats...

#12 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:38 PM

While i accidentally got to know the 8vs8 queue i never bothered to play - it would not stick anyway...

Guess others coming to accidentally know would think the same...

#13 Corbantu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:39 PM

View PostMagnus Santini, on 22 March 2022 - 05:12 PM, said:

I only got a couple games in the 8v8 weekend. They seemed pretty normal but shorter. Which favors what, low ammo loads? But what 8v8 needs is two lances splayed all over the battlefield to explain the missing 4 per side.

I supposed what we really need is just a new MWO game, with more options and a fresh face.

#14 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:39 PM

View PostCorbantu, on 22 March 2022 - 05:39 PM, said:

I supposed what we really need is just a new MWO game, with more options and a fresh face.

Yeah, but who would start from scratch at this point.

There is no way i'd go through skilling mechs, paying for SP, paying for engines, saving for individual mechs again.

Now? I see a mech i want, i buy it- i want to rip everything off and put brand new gear in, i do it, no questions asked.

I'd have to wonder how many new players would be brought in as opposed to how many old players would simply say, "i'm not starting up this mountain again" after reaching the peak.

#15 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 March 2022 - 08:53 PM

I miss 8v8 already.

#16 CreativeAnarchy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:05 PM

No it is not.

I've had plenty of quiet comm 8v8 as I have had with 12v12. There have been times that I was the only one talking. I'll get some "affirmative" but when the team is not using a mic, communication isn't very easy with the in game tools. You can't haller out that someone is behind someone or be very specific like that, the non-comm tools are quite limited.

8v8 is missing some danger. At least with 12v12 you had a good possibility of a wolf pack and several snipers adding to the danger. 8v8 is missing some of that and it had become a boring stroll to the other team unless the other team managed to drop with enough lights and fast mediums to make a wolf pack or had a few snipers there and if they had several snipers, just deal with them last and mop up, they were more of a hindrance than asset.

I'd like to see 16v16 or 20v20. Put a max of 4 lights(QP is almost always saying to play a light to make wait times faster) and fill up with whatever else is left. 8v8 kind of did that anyway with how lopsided some of the drops were.

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,796 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 03:34 PM

frankly id rather comms be clear for important intel only. sometimes "affirmative" is the correct response. the op's example is a bit more verbose than id like. proper use of the command wheel and one or two guys actually using comms is more than enough for good intel sharing. its a hell of a lot better than dead air.

not against bigger modes either. part of the charm of 8v8 was that it was different.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 March 2022 - 03:37 PM.

#18 Corbantu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 06:13 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 23 March 2022 - 03:34 PM, said:

frankly id rather comms be clear for important intel only. sometimes "affirmative" is the correct response. the op's example is a bit more verbose than id like. proper use of the command wheel and one or two guys actually using comms is more than enough for good intel sharing.

Alot of what you said could be corrected with two comm channels, a command channel where only Lance commanders and company commanders could communicate and a Lance channel for Lance members. I supposed all players could recieve the command channel but only the commanders could transmit on it.

I've seen similiar features on other games, often they go unused or misused, but when they are used appropriately the results are amazing.

#19 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 March 2022 - 07:54 AM

nope 8v8 sucked nothing but stomps and no more coms than usual also. i have already explained it enough in other threads so not going to bother here.

#20 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 March 2022 - 07:58 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 24 March 2022 - 07:54 AM, said:

nope 8v8 sucked nothing but stomps and no more coms than usual also. i have already explained it enough in other threads so not going to bother here.

It only sucks if you play it like 12v12.

Summer tires suck in the winter. Change your tires or don't be surprised when you slide on an icy day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users