Emerald Vale Was Clearly As Success.

49 replies to this topic

#41 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 04:59 AM

Old maps were also conducive to long range builds. They (mostly) didn't have very obvious formulaic and designated sniping spaces like the new ones, but there were plenty of natural and organic overview spots.

These maps just don't flow well. There are obvious attempts to create hard counters to nascaring. This gives them a very unnatural, broken up topology that tends to stifle movement in general not just prevet nascar. Add the sniping spaces in there and you've just created a really static game. The maps are clustered and bottlenecked which further prevents maneuvering and forces a more static trade oriented game.

They just don't seem like maps designed for MWO. They seem more like traditional FPS maps, something you'd see in custom maps games of Counter Strike in the early 2000s.

These seem like the product of someone who doesn't understand MWO and was forced to cater to very rigid guidelines on how to make maps. I don't like the map reworks and prefer the old versions better. The new ones are nothing to write home about and I wouldn't miss them if they weren't there.

We could analyze and disagree for ages, ultimately its down to preference.

#42 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 05:37 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 11 April 2022 - 04:37 AM, said:

The old maps were specifically hostile to anything except midrange and brawlers. You're mistaking having space for snipers as being "overly friendly to snipers". They weren't really present in the meta at all from the point they got nerfed in 2013 to 2021.

Please stop repeating this argument that sniping didn't exist for 8 years. It's completely false.

#43 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 April 2022 - 05:54 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 11 April 2022 - 05:37 AM, said:

Please stop repeating this argument that sniping didn't exist for 8 years. It's completely false.

No it isn't.

The only functional long range weapon we had through the lowreybalance era was ER Large Lasers.

PPCs had a shorter cooldown and lower heat. They got used in midrange. Gauss Rifles had the charge put on them and got put on the same ghost heat grouping as PPCs, specifically to stop people from sniping.

DPS on long range weapons was so low across the board that there was no reason to do anything except stack medium pulse lasers and brawl. Even a slow mech could close the distance with a sniper.

#44 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 06:20 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 11 April 2022 - 05:54 AM, said:

No it isn't.

The only functional long range weapon we had through the lowreybalance era was ER Large Lasers.

PPCs had a shorter cooldown and lower heat. They got used in midrange. Gauss Rifles had the charge put on them and got put on the same ghost heat grouping as PPCs, specifically to stop people from sniping.

DPS on long range weapons was so low across the board that there was no reason to do anything except stack medium pulse lasers and brawl. Even a slow mech could close the distance with a sniper.

The only thing that didn't exist was gauss/Ppcs hsl's.
Snipers were still common. Every single map of HPG still ended with chasing a Ppcs Shadowcat.
Borreal Vault and Alpine Peaks existed throughout this entire time period.

The only thing the cauldron changed was lower the risk and increase reward of sniping with buffs to velocity, armor, structure, jumpjets, hsl, and heat.

#45 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 April 2022 - 06:36 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 11 April 2022 - 06:20 AM, said:

The only thing that didn't exist was gauss/Ppcs hsl's.
Snipers were still common. Every single map of HPG still ended with chasing a Ppcs Shadowcat.

No it didn't.

Borreal Vault and Alpine Peaks existed throughout this entire time period.

Alpine peaks was, and still is set to appear at a low frequency. Part of the reason people hated on it so much was because you usually ended up there with a brawler build. Boreal Vault sees midrange and brawlers just as much as it sees snipers and its also a FW map, so not really relevant to a quickplay conversation.

The only thing the cauldron changed was lower the risk and increase reward of sniping with buffs to velocity, armor, structure, jumpjets, hsl, and heat.

So the only thing the cauldron changed was everything that matters. The only thing they havent done is clawed back the jumpjet shake, or fully unnerf jumpjet power.

#46 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 08:28 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 11 April 2022 - 06:36 AM, said:

No it didn't.

Alpine peaks was, and still is set to appear at a low frequency. Part of the reason people hated on it so much was because you usually ended up there with a brawler build. Boreal Vault sees midrange and brawlers just as much as it sees snipers and its also a FW map, so not really relevant to a quickplay conversation.

So the only thing the cauldron changed was everything that matters. The only thing they havent done is clawed back the jumpjet shake, or fully unnerf jumpjet power.

Is there a way I can just block this guy so he never sees anything I post ever again?
I think that would be the best solution.

#47 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 April 2022 - 09:21 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 11 April 2022 - 08:28 AM, said:

Is there a way I can just block this guy so he never sees anything I post ever again?

lol ok buddy. I just told you why you were wrong.

#48 Armchair General

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 09:51 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 11 April 2022 - 08:28 AM, said:

You cannot block somebody else to see your posts. The only thing you can do is block to see somebody's posts. "A bit hidden in the forum settings" would be an understatement. This is how it is done:
Posted Image

Edited by Armchair General, 11 April 2022 - 01:50 PM.

#49 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 11 April 2022 - 06:27 PM

If only more people took the grown up step to remove irritations this might be a less ****** place sometimes.

#50 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 April 2022 - 07:42 PM

View PostBowelhacker, on 11 April 2022 - 06:27 PM, said:

If only more people took the grown up step to remove irritations this might be a less ****** place sometimes.

If you think being politely informed that your opinion relies on falsehoods is an irritation then you need to take a long look in the mirror.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users