Weapon Pods On Torsos- Maybe A Time For Damage Rework?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 27 March 2022 - 10:39 AM

I've been thinking about some mechs that have the variable geometry weapon pods on torsos, and, why they act as "torso" geometry. I wonder if there is a better way to do this, since it causes a huge nerf to mechs that rely on this to mount some weapons. (oh and I think pods on the arms are fine, as it's an acceptable risk/reward to mount more on there)

Possible solutions:
  • make the weapon pod split damage between weapon and torso, so a certain percentage of damage goes to each when hit. when the weapon is destroyed make the pod disappear (adding an effect to mask the geometry disappearing)
  • make the weapon take all the damage when hit.
  • give variable torso armor/structure bonuses based on pod size

#2 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 02:32 PM

View PostPixel Hunter, on 27 March 2022 - 10:39 AM, said:

I've been thinking about some mechs that have the variable geometry weapon pods on torsos, and, why they act as "torso" geometry. I wonder if there is a better way to do this, since it causes a huge nerf to mechs that rely on this to mount some weapons. (oh and I think pods on the arms are fine, as it's an acceptable risk/reward to mount more on there)

Possible solutions:
  • make the weapon pod split damage between weapon and torso, so a certain percentage of damage goes to each when hit. when the weapon is destroyed make the pod disappear (adding an effect to mask the geometry disappearing)
  • make the weapon take all the damage when hit.
  • give variable torso armor/structure bonuses based on pod size

The game doesn't have enough engineering resources devoted to it to really overhaul the damage model.

Best that can be done is Cauldron adding quirks (more armor / structure). That'd be the closest to your idea in (3). Except, of course, it's static and not dynamic (quirk applies whether or not you equip a weapon that enlarges the hitbox).

#3 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 28 March 2022 - 05:53 PM

View PostYueFei, on 27 March 2022 - 02:32 PM, said:

The game doesn't have enough engineering resources devoted to it to really overhaul the damage model.

Best that can be done is Cauldron adding quirks (more armor / structure). That'd be the closest to your idea in (3). Except, of course, it's static and not dynamic (quirk applies whether or not you equip a weapon that enlarges the hitbox).

I agree there isn't enough done. at the very least yes, there should be a dynamic structure/armor quirk based on pods

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users