13 replies to this topic

#1 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 01 April 2022 - 05:40 PM

So the other day I posted about Classic TRO: 3025 Mechs and asked what you all might like to see added based on what still hasn't shown up in the game.

Let's do a follow-up, this time focused on another one of my favorite old BattleTech sourcebooks, and talk about "Classic TRO: 2750" mechs. The mechs of...The Star League!

We've already seen the Crab, Kintaro, Champion, Black Knight, Highlander, and King Crab. Most all of these have been considered strong meta performers at one point or another in their existence, and some are still considered top tier mechs from what I understand. So let's take a look at what we HAVEN'T seen yet from this classic set of mechs. Links go to Sarna.net.

LIGHT:
- Mercury
- Thorn
- Mongoose
- Hermes
- Hussar

MEDIUM:
- Sentinel
- Wyvern

HEAVY:
- Lancelot
- Exterminator
- Bombardier
- Guillotine
- Flashman

ASSAULT:
- Thug
- Crockett

Got any favorites? Unlike the TRO: 3025 mechs, there aren't really any compelling tech barriers (melee weapons, quad mech functionality, etc.) to adding any of these, so it really can boil down to what you think can bring something to the game, or just plain old what you love.

I really like a lot of these. For me it would be Light - Mongoose (that new Bishop Steiner art is *chef's kiss*), Medium - Wyvern (though if I'm honest, Sentinel is better, and again, the art update by Bishop Steiner is gorgeous), Heavy - Exterminator (I've just always loved this thing, but Heavy has some solid options, like Guillotine and Flashman), and Assault - Thug (because damn, that thing is sweet, but the Crockett is rad too).

So hit me! What do you think?

Edited by Neutron IX, 01 April 2022 - 05:41 PM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 April 2022 - 08:26 PM

The Mongoose and the Guillotine would bring something unique to the table, but neither is particularly iconic. What we really need are some of the Clan IIc designs.

But honestly, you might as well stop at 2750 for IS mechs. After this point, FASA entered into its "really bad art" years. We got such memorable "oh god my eyes" inner sphere mechs as the Arctic Fox, Blitzkreig, and Yeoman. And while there were some clan gems in there that cleaned up pretty well, we do have to thank them for eyeball scorching sights like the Ursus, Mandrill, and Matador.

#3 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 08:40 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 01 April 2022 - 08:26 PM, said:

The Mongoose and the Guillotine would bring something unique to the table, but neither is particularly iconic. What we really need are some of the Clan IIc designs.

But honestly, you might as well stop at 2750 for IS mechs. After this point, FASA entered into its "really bad art" years. We got such memorable "oh god my eyes" inner sphere mechs as the Arctic Fox, Blitzkreig, and Yeoman. And while there were some clan gems in there that cleaned up pretty well, we do have to thank them for eyeball scorching sights like the Ursus, Mandrill, and Matador.

Oh God, for real, the Yeoman is one of the all time worst!

3055 had some decent stuff, but yeah, the pickings get rougher and rougher for IS as time goes on in my opinion as well.

But what in the GD ever-loving wonk-bucket IS THIS THING?!! Posted Image

Posted Image

And OH LORD...the Arctic Fox...hahahahah! Always good for a laugh, that one!

#4 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:24 PM

Jesus Christ. Now those mechs should remain "Unseen"!

#5 Akamia Terizen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:32 PM

TBH, I would love to at least see a MWO-aesthetic take on every ’Mech in existence, from the Mackie to the Dark Age chassis. The Mackie doesn’t have to be a good or even viable ’Mech. Just a neat addition to the lineup. Though in that case, it’d probably be better served in MW5.

I would love to see the Mercury and Thug in particular, though. And the Exterminator, for that matter.

#6 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 03:22 AM

View PostNeutron IX, on 01 April 2022 - 08:40 PM, said:

3055 had some decent stuff, but yeah, the pickings get rougher and rougher for IS as time goes on in my opinion as well.

I would argue the opposite is true.

You get some extremely potent units like the Dragon Fire, Falconer, Komodo, Spector...

Compared to that, the remaining TRO:2750 Mechs are rather uninspiring, even if it pains me to say that (TRO:2750 was my first BT source book).

As the art goes, it is not like things can change and did change.

Posted Image

https://mwomercs.com...n-more-new-art/

#7 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 April 2022 - 04:09 AM

The Mongoose and the Guillotine would bring something unique to the table, but neither is particularly iconic.

Not sure what the Guillotine would bring that the Grasshopper doesn't... I mean, ok, missile in the CT instead of the head, sure, you could go SRM6 or LRM10 with it... Maybe 2xSRM4 if they put two hardpoints there... But, yeah, it's basically a Grasshopper.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the aesthetic of the Guillotine. The cockpit windows remind me of the camera probe used by the Martians in the 1953 War of the Worlds movie, which by itself is big point in its favor from my standpoint.

#8 Armchair General

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 09:56 AM

Moved to feature suggestions

#9 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 10:03 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 02 April 2022 - 03:22 AM, said:

I would argue the opposite is true.

You get some extremely potent units like the Dragon Fire, Falconer, Komodo, Spector...

Compared to that, the remaining TRO:2750 Mechs are rather uninspiring, even if it pains me to say that (TRO:2750 was my first BT source book).

As the art goes, it is not like things can change and did change.

Posted Image

https://mwomercs.com...n-more-new-art/

Oh, I certainly don't disagree on build efficacy. I just think the art hit a surprisingly wonky stretch in TROs 3058 - 3067 (I never got any of the TROs after that, to be fair). Point of fact TRO 3060 could simply be described as "Panels...panels EVERYWHERE!" in addition to the fact that it gave us some of the weird dang knobbers that Scrapiron mentioned up there.

Side note though, if any of you are in any of the BattleTech groups on Facebook, Bishop Steiner (known to the MWO world as the major Urbie fan who brought us the concept that the K-9 is based on) has been posting sketches of some of those newer mechs with updated art, and the results are great! Worth checking out. https://www.facebook...pSteinerStudios

#10 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 10:14 AM

View PostEscef, on 02 April 2022 - 04:09 AM, said:

Not sure what the Guillotine would bring that the Grasshopper doesn't... I mean, ok, missile in the CT instead of the head, sure, you could go SRM6 or LRM10 with it... Maybe 2xSRM4 if they put two hardpoints there... But, yeah, it's basically a Grasshopper.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the aesthetic of the Guillotine. The cockpit windows remind me of the camera probe used by the Martians in the 1953 War of the Worlds movie, which by itself is big point in its favor from my standpoint.

Rule of Cool. I just love the damn thing, individuality of hardpoints be damned! lol

#11 KaptinOrk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 10:16 AM

View PostNeutron IX, on 01 April 2022 - 08:40 PM, said:

Oh God, for real, the Yeoman is one of the all time worst!

But what in the GD ever-loving wonk-bucket IS THIS THING?!! Posted Image

Posted Image

And OH LORD...the Arctic Fox...hahahahah! Always good for a laugh, that one!

I will not tolerate disrespect toward the Yeoman.

#12 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 10:50 AM

View PostKaptinOrk, on 02 April 2022 - 10:16 AM, said:

What, this Yeoman? Posted Image (Credit to Bishop Steiner for the actual sketch of a Yeoman joining the battle.)

Posted Image

But, all kidding aside, he also did this one, which is actually badass. And turning the legs around alone was a huge improvement!

Posted Image

#13 EPJ

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 01:21 PM

View PostKaptinOrk, on 02 April 2022 - 10:16 AM, said:

oh hell no... It looks like someone took a Catapult and said, you don't need arms!Posted Image

#14 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 08:48 PM

The Mongoose and the Guillotine would bring something unique to the table, but neither is particularly iconic. What we really need are some of the Clan IIc designs. But honestly, you might as well stop at 2750 for IS mechs. After this point, FASA entered into its "really bad art" years. We got such memorable "oh god my eyes" inner sphere mechs as the Arctic Fox, Blitzkreig, and Yeoman. And while there were some clan gems in there that cleaned up pretty well, we do have to thank them for eyeball scorching sights like the Ursus, Mandrill, and Matador.

Jesus christ, you weren't kidding.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users