28 replies to this topic

#21 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 April 2022 - 06:38 AM

yeah the armor of the Catapult is lacking but thats because it isn't meant to be a brawler. in Lore it was designed as a dedicated LRM platform (though given its modularity and easy of modification there were numerous odd variants). so yeah i wouldn't bother with the SRM but you do what you find is fun. splitting the Missile slots that way also splits your ammo capacity for either. also focusing on one or the other gives you more space for a bigger engine (not sure i would use an XL as its easy to tell the torsos of the Cat). always remember that those big missile boxes are massive targets as well. you honestly don't see many missile Cats around but i love them.

see Tex

as for me i run the C4 since it has a pair of energy hardpoints (CPLT-C4 -- (2 LRM-20A (9t ammo), 2 MLs running an LE-255, Endo, LFF, and 1 DHS)) my other one is the C1 (CPLT-C1 -- (2 LRM-20 (9t ammo), 2 MLs, 1 AMS (1/2t ammo), running an LE-270, Endo, LFF, and a MK1 TC))

i sort of stopped carrying a TAG when they nerfed the **** out of everything that helps LRM.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 27 April 2022 - 06:41 AM.

#22 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 08:54 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 14 April 2022 - 12:15 PM, said:

My K2 is either the oldest mech I've continuously owned, or second oldest, and not sold and bought back.

I sold my CPLT-K2 after I bought "Jester".

#23 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 April 2022 - 10:42 AM

View Postmartian, on 27 April 2022 - 08:54 AM, said:

I love the Jester too. It's one of my most-played mechs. I'm not sure why but the Catapult chassis has always been one of my favorites to play. Just 65 tons is the right mix of speed and armament for my taste, I guess. Plus, the chassis has been in previous games that I've played.

#24 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 27 April 2022 - 11:26 AM

View Postmartian, on 27 April 2022 - 08:54 AM, said:

The K2 is still a superior energy weapon platform over the Jester, despite having 2 less hardpoints. And its wicked with AC/10 and AC/20 builds.

#25 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 11:42 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 27 April 2022 - 06:38 AM, said:

...so yeah i wouldn't bother with the SRM but you do what you find is fun. splitting the Missile slots that way also splits your ammo capacity for either. also focusing on one or the other gives you more space for a bigger engine (not sure i would use an XL as its easy to tell the torsos of the Cat)...

I used to run as LRM only, but I found a lot of opponents would rush the LRMer in the back. This would typically leave me defenseless once they got closer than 180m. The A1(C) Champion variant does not have laser mounts, which is unfortunate. The only solution I could come up with is to place SRM units.

I do try to keep my head under cover and definitely try to avoid sticking my missile racks in line of sight.

Not entirely sure if I made a mistake getting the A1 (C), but I do enjoy tinkering and trying to find workable solution to the fact all I have is missile mounts. Might take some more tuning, but I'm sure I can hit a sweet spot where I have enough SRM to protect myself and enough LRM to dish out a lot of hurt.

#26 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 27 April 2022 - 12:53 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 27 April 2022 - 11:26 AM, said:

The K2 is still a superior energy weapon platform over the Jester, despite having 2 less hardpoints.

It depends on what builds one uses it for.

Plus, I like those Jump Jets that "Jester" offers and the -K2 lacks.

On top of that, the "Jester"'s twin AMS can be useful too.

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 27 April 2022 - 11:26 AM, said:

And its wicked with AC/10 and AC/20 builds.

I prefer other 'Mechs for my AC builds.

#27 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 April 2022 - 12:03 PM

View PostZeddicuus, on 27 April 2022 - 11:42 AM, said:

I used to run as LRM only, but I found a lot of opponents would rush the LRMer in the back. This would typically leave me defenseless once they got closer than 180m. The A1(C) Champion variant does not have laser mounts, which is unfortunate. The only solution I could come up with is to place SRM units.

I do try to keep my head under cover and definitely try to avoid sticking my missile racks in line of sight.

Not entirely sure if I made a mistake getting the A1 (C), but I do enjoy tinkering and trying to find workable solution to the fact all I have is missile mounts. Might take some more tuning, but I'm sure I can hit a sweet spot where I have enough SRM to protect myself and enough LRM to dish out a lot of hurt.

oh forgot that the A1(C) didn't have any energy points. i don't tend to run any mechs that only have ammo dependent hardpoints, i tend to forget they exist. going with a pair of MRM 40s might work well. i would pick the weapon system you want to be your primary and concentrate on that and going with fewer of the back-up system. also if you have only LRM with no other weapons i recommend staying with the main group that way any light or other mech attacking you has other mechs to worry about shooting back. so many of my fellow Lurmers tend to get target fixation or otherwise forget where the rest of the team is and get left behind.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 28 April 2022 - 12:04 PM.

#28 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 08:18 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 27 April 2022 - 10:42 AM, said:

I love the Jester too. It's one of my most-played mechs. I'm not sure why but the Catapult chassis has always been one of my favorites to play. Just 65 tons is the right mix of speed and armament for my taste, I guess. Plus, the chassis has been in previous games that I've played.

We will get a new similar 65-tonner in two months - the Crusader.

#29 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:39 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 14 April 2022 - 02:17 PM, said:

The Cat that works best for LRMs in my opinion is the C1. 4 ER Medium Lasers augment the 2 LRM 20's, doing full damage at 400m and meaningful damage at 600m. Add a Beagle Probe in there to extend your sensnr range (which helps get missile lock a bit faster).

https://mwo.nav-alph...d1f4d30_CPLT-C1

Agreed, but I don't like the LRM20s. The extra ten tubes over a pair of 15s costs you six tons and four crits, both of which are at something of a premium. I run it like this: https://mwo.nav-alph...c94cc80_CPLT-C1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users