og doom also recently got raytracing.

#22 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 28 April 2022 - 09:48 AM

Yeah gonna be a lot of visual toys to play with now. I also have a copy of quake rtx too that runs like dogcrap on my 1080ti so this should be interesting. I will finally be able to run red dead redemption 2 at 4k native instead of upscaling it from 1440p and not choke out either. Giggity..

Of course mwo will play the same since it runs on toasters just fine. Posted Image

#23 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 29 April 2022 - 10:59 PM

Ok some gripes about this specific model gpu. The cooling solution is poorly designed for the typical motherboard because it has exhaust ports on the backplate which directly flow over the ram and into the cpu fan which eventually overheats it under heavy gaming loads. Its awesome for the gpu and keeps it around 70ish C under heavy load. The solution was inelegant but effective. I cut out a form fitting bit of cardboard box and taped it in place between the ram/cpu and gpu backplate. The exhaust can still flow out but now its not roasting the other components. Also DLSS wasn't as good as the video reviews seem to make it out to be. Even on the quality setting the image became a bit fuzzy around the edges though the performance gain was nice. NIS seems to work better and you can use that on pretty much any nvidia gpu though its not quite as much of a performance gain.

Other than that zomg is this thing a beast and easily wipes the floor with an uber overloaded minecraft install... Posted Image

If you can afford one its basically a 3080ti(literally 1 fps behind in most games) and only a handful of frames behind a 3090 but both those gpu cost waaaaaay more.

Just make sure you have adequate cooling or it will cook the rest of your pc.. Posted Image

#24 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 07:53 AM

my 2070 super is still doing its job. i was going to upgrade to a 3070, but opted to upgrade my monitor instead. of course then a month later gpu stock returned and the prices dropped to msrp. so i will probibly just wait for the 40xx series. i hope they address the absurd tdp numbers on the next revision. i worry that a 30xx will just cook my sff build and that my 750w sfx supply wont be enough. space is also an issue, i can probibly get a founders 3070 in there, but some of the beefier cards wont.

Edited by LordNothing, 30 April 2022 - 07:55 AM.

#25 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 April 2022 - 08:24 AM

A 750 watt is plenty for a 3080. As to getting one if its a normal fan cooler that dumps the heat back into the case then its not going to work in your sff case and even a founders has that weird split fan design that still dumps all the heat back into the case. It doesn't even really work in my normal mid tower case if it was sealed either as I have the sides off for better cooling. This specific gpu is going to want one of those huge cases with a zillion fans or one of those open bench mounts. Dunno why they stopped with the blower designs as they were a bit loud under load but very cool in the case. Latest from the 40xx leaks is a 900w tdp for the 4090 with a 600w tdp for the 4080. Guess nvidia is going back to the brute force designs they started with since they have pushed efficiency about as far as they can.

#26 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 12:24 PM

my case has a very weird fan configuration. i got four slim fans the two on the bottom push air up into the gpu. if the gpu is exceptionally large, those will have to come out. the gpu, if i used a larger one, would pretty much isolate this entire lower region from the upper. and it would have its own airflow path. the other two are on the side and blow out. the cpu cooler draws from the mobo side and into one of the side fans, a defacto push-pull config. there is a smaller rear fan, pulling from the rear of the case and pushing into the cpu cooler in a crosswise fashion. this pushes additional airflow out the side of the cpu cooler to the front fan. much of this area is taken up by the psu (which has its own airflow path that doesn't interact with the rest of the computer) and the excess from the modular cables (only gpu/cpu/mobo are used). shorter cables here would free up space in this region if i had a reason to justify the extra expense. a card with passthrough would exhaust here, right into that front side fan.

anyway this configuration is kind of derpy, lower region is positive pressure, where the upper is clearly negative. but benchmarks show that this config runs the coolest, and i tried every possible permutation. i figure any spillover bypasses the gpu and remains cool. big cases just make air go around the things you want to cool instead of through it. i think this case was made for water cooling, at least an aio, but i still am not comfortable with having liquids in my computer (especially considering the local humidity).

Edited by LordNothing, 30 April 2022 - 12:25 PM.

#27 Direwoof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKamloooooooops

Posted 02 May 2022 - 06:58 PM

I has 16gb and i never hit more then 14 in anything with everythingh open.

#28 KabukiOne

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 11:31 AM

I have 16 GB RAM, and it's more than enough for anything I play. I think your graphics card is a much more important issue (and they're starting to get easier to find).

Edited by KabukiOne, 05 May 2022 - 11:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users