24 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 28 April 2022 - 02:29 PM

People are going nuts because the rich dude took over twitter, and some claim that the 7th seal has now been broken. If that was the case, none of us would be here to discuss it. Come on, social media has gone nuts, kinda like a swarm of kids in a candy store with no parents to say hey you can't eat all of that.

Doubt much will change, and not worried about it. Enjoy....Posted Image

#2 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 28 April 2022 - 04:45 PM

The Wokeare crapping their pants because their private little club is going to be overrun with those horrible normal people again who can say what they want.

Think of it like this in their minds as to whats going to happen.

Edited by Meep Meep, 28 April 2022 - 04:45 PM.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 29 April 2022 - 02:01 PM

I dont' think too much will change. If he insists on big changes that drive away customers, the investment will tank. Look for more things like anti-bot measures and perhaps fact checking or bans for posting harmful misinformation (like drinking bleach as a cure for anything, for example). outrage is one thing, misinformation is another.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 04:42 PM

last thing we need are more "fact checkers". post something counter to an official narrative, even if its true, and see how fast your fact gets checked into oblivion. anyone who cares about facts is more than capable of checking them without twitters help. that said im still not going to use twitter.

the cool thing about free speech is that it makes it easy to tell who the loonies are.

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 06:49 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 April 2022 - 04:42 PM, said:

anyone who cares about facts is more than capable of checking them without twitters help.

That line is a lot greyer than it used to be. We don't all get the same evening news anymore, we get the news that we WANT to hear in the flavor that we like. Many people do cross pundit lines to hear what everyone is saying, but the majority do not.

Recently, for example, there has been a great divide between people who "know" that face masks reduce transmissibility of certain airborne infections and people who "know" that they do no such thing. Only one of those beliefs is correct, but the vast majority of people will only go so far in their "research" to find and consume information that supports the conclusion that they wanted to hear in the first place.

Whether Twitter duMusk will step into that minefield is anyone's guess. They won't do anything to lose customers, but they might try on the assumption that it won't piss people off TOO much. Again, on Musk's assumption that inflammatory opinions that don't really harm anyone are fine, but ones that harm or risk lives are not fine. (And "in whose opinion" is the other question. Who watches the watchmen?)

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 07:38 AM

problem with fact checkers is they are often also biased. a left leaning platform is going to hire left leaning fact checkers, same on the right. it only promotes the echo chamber mindset. then you eliminate cross-isle discourse and nobody learns anything new or can come to any kind of understanding.

i also don't think its as simple as one side being correct and the other being wrong. they both got their narratives and those are going to corrupt their facts or misrepresent those facts in a way that supports their position. its also entirely possible that both sides are wrong, or are only partially correct, or simply do not know and are making stuff up.

#7 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 June 2022 - 07:47 PM

Dunno about the rest of you, but I find the schadenfreude of these woke little snowflakes as their world ends, powerless to stop it quite delectable. It's about time the mental patients were put back in their padded cells instead of being given the keys to the insane asylum. I sure as hell don't pity them since they brought this end on themselves, no matter how much they blame "muh racism" or whatever new buzzword their echo chamber told them to parrot.

#8 Cerulean Knight

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:23 AM

Well, the only "wokeness" I've seen so far is the need to wake me when he'll stop being a baby on the Twitter deal.

#9 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:54 PM

i like watching the loonies on both sides get what's coming to them. but so long as the only way to get rid of one bunch of loonies is to give power to another bunch of loonies, we wont get anywhere. the best you can do is keep them in flux so they dont turn into autocrats.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 June 2022 - 07:55 PM.

#10 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 08:57 PM

Elon users twitter more than any teenager I've seen. He actually reminds of shitposting as a teenager on 4chan a long time ago when I was a teenager. The fact that he's that old and still doing it is... interesting. If people think he's some kind of beacon of truthfulness then I guess that says a lot.

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:27 AM

He's addicted to people referring to him as being great. A common malady of the famous.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 04:21 PM

he's got the same problem trump did. twitter makes it too damn easy to blurt out whatever stupid thought is in your head at the time. that betrays a lack of self discipline. thats a terrible trait for both a business man and a politician. no matter how well your company does or how good your fiscal policies are, people are going to remember you as "that clown on twitter". trump could have had a second term if he didnt alienate all the in between voters with his crap and id hate to see spacex/tesla go tango uniform for the same reason.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 June 2022 - 07:25 PM.

#13 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:16 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 June 2022 - 04:21 PM, said:

and id hate to see spacex/tesla go tango uniform for the same reason.

Yeah, I was hoping he'd change the world for the better with those companies before he went all Howard Hughes cuckoo on us, but that seems to all be happening at the same time. Still... maybe he did change the world, only it will be an electric Ford I buy instead of an electric Tesla.

#14 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:57 AM

I'd say that Elon's companies have changed the world. Reliable electric cars when detroit couldn't pull it off after decades and decades of tossing literally billions at it. They even scrapped the EV1 which was the first reliable EV because they didn't want the competition with their gas vehicles once the law allowed it. Then there is his reusable rocket tech and the new starlink internet tech which is bringing internet to the entire world and unable to be stopped by local governments. But now that Elon no longer blindly sides with the left he is somehow now the evil scientist out to destroy the world. People sure are fickle.. Posted Image

#15 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 09:03 PM

the funny thing is that elon was always center left, did all the things the left wanted, and now they vilify him for it.

#16 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 09:29 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 June 2022 - 09:03 PM, said:

the funny thing is that elon was always center left, did all the things the left wanted, and now they vilify him for it.

I dont' think its as simple as that. People love new technologies shaking things up and being progressive. But those same folks react badly to "no one should restrict hate speech because hate speech is free speech."

Me, i just dislike the fellow because he goes off with a random comment on Twitter and stock prices skew all over the place instantly. Not only does that expose the silliness of a market based purely on expectation and perception, but its a question of whether he does it intentionally in order to profit from a short sell. No one person should have that much sway.

#17 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:03 PM

The problem with the current definition of 'hate speech' is that its never really been defined other than something being said that someone else doesn't like. So it gets applied with an ideological bent instead of a logical one. As in ~everyone~ knows that speech that calls for violence is hate speech. But the definition of 'violence' has been amended by the woke to include literally any word they don't like regardless of it its a call for violence or not. In many cases simply not having an opinion at all is considered hate speech because they didn't reply in support of the woke. Elon has it right. We need better standards than the whims of emotionally unstable people who infest these social media corps.

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 06:59 PM

the language is intentionally fuzzy so that they can make it mean whatever they want it to mean. the left spews out quite a bit of hate speech and plenty of calls for violence but get away with it.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 June 2022 - 07:01 PM.

#19 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 13 July 2022 - 08:37 AM

I love anything that makes the one side get triggered its hilarious

like when Trump got elected, I did not vote for him but jumped for joy when the main stream press was wrong lol

"Musk responded Monday morning, tweeting a meme of himself laughing in a series of four photos, with captions that read: "They said I couldn't buy Twitter, Then they wouldn't disclose bot info, Now they want to force me to buy Twitter in court, Now they have to disclose bot info in court."

https://people.com/h...erminated-deal/

#20 Cerulean Knight

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 July 2022 - 10:49 AM

Oh, this is quite hilarious.

Essentially, he goes in to buy Twitter to make it "better" (presumably to make it more profitable). Now he's backing out because of an issue he was already aware of before even going into the deal. It's interesting to note that the tweet above seems to indicate either a deflection from the contract details or he just doesn't care (or both). It's almost as if the goal wasn't buying it in the first place.... curious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users