- - - - -

Damage To Lights

8 replies to this topic

#1 BLXKNTRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 04:36 AM

I have noticed that, i can land all my shots on lights, hit for hit, yet the lights will kill me first. I hit a firestarter (for ex.) 4x with mrm 50. hit all my shots. It killed me in griffin (with full armor skill tree) before i could kill it.

This is not isolated to my griffin.

It has happened many time in black knight too with 5 mpl and 3sppcs.

How can light mechs seem to tank forever yet when I play one, they die at 100dmg?

Thanks

Edited by Quest614, 16 May 2022 - 09:34 AM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 May 2022 - 05:22 AM

View PostQuest614, on 16 May 2022 - 04:36 AM, said:

How can light mechs seem to tank forever yet when I play one, they die at 100dmg?

From simple things like twisting to spread damage to quirks in the game engine like clipping over obstacles in the ground and stuttering jump jets to mess with hit registration, there are tricks to keeping a mech alive longer. Most people don't like the jump jet and obstacle tricks, but they're there, if not reliable.

Pretty sure that Firestarter was a stumbling junk pile by the time you were done with it, though. The terrain and jump jet foo wouldn't let it avoid an entire stream of MRMs, just a small portion of it.

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 May 2022 - 08:51 AM

Lots of things. For one, MRMs don't deal pinpoint, front loaded damage. Compare an MRM volley with 6 medium lasers with convergence for instance. Secondly, depending on the loadout, his MGs might have quickly critted your mech. Some of these small armament weapons are buffed enough to make them viable but sometimes they can be a little OP. Hit reg. Let's face it, it's not perfect and latency and ping times will impact it as well.

#4 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:23 PM

Missile weapons and other spread-damage guns can be difficult to use against Lights, simply because their hit boxes are so close together. Even an SRM spread can hit across all three torsos, and arm, and a leg - this means that you're having to chew through a -lot- more of its proportional armor than if you were hitting a larger 'mech. Conversely, while logically I feel that I must have lost an arm on my Atlas at some point in my career without losing the attached torso first, I do not actually remember it ever happening...

In a nutshell, you're spreading your damage all over the 'mech, while he's able to target your torsos much more effectively. That firestarter has 56 points of armor/structure on each side torso and leg, 48 on each arm, and 77 in the center torso. Some of your missiles missed a target of that size, even if the volley tracked; the rest would be scattered all over the 'mech, probably taking out his arm frist - and a few might (or might not) have been lost to confused hit registration. But even without any CT damage, he's got a total of 318 hypothetical points of total durability on his 'mech. That's a LOT more than the 200 maximum damage you've done with those four MRM volleys, so it's not terribly surprising that you didn't kill a light in motion if that's all you're shooting him with.

If, on the other hand, you'd hit him with 4 AC/20s, with a few backup lasers, he would have had a sad day watching the rest of the match as a spectator. It's just that spread-damage weapons generally have to use a lot more damage output than you would expect to kill a Light. Even Streaks are only effective against Lights because a 50-ton streakboat can just overwhelm the smaller 'mech with saturating firepower that (mostly) doesn't miss.

#5 Burny220

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 02:51 AM

First, use your ballistic/energy weapons to cut through their armor, if you use MRMs against their full armor, you wont do much. If you can nail them with a Gauss rifle, Clan ER PPC or AC20, you can follow up with missiles and machine guns to crit them like crazy. Also, I took on two light mechs with an upgraded Hunchback 4P and killed them both by legging them using standard medium lasers.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 03:49 AM

I have noticed that, i can land all my shots on lights, hit for hit, yet the lights will kill me first. I hit a firestarter (for ex.) 4x with mrm 50. hit all my shots. It killed me in griffin (with full armor skill tree) before i could kill it.

This is not isolated to my griffin.

MRMs and SRMs spread their damage all over the enemy 'Mech. When attempting to hit a light 'Mech, many missiles often miss that light 'Mech.

It has happened many time in black knight too with 5 mpl and 3sppcs.

Such Black Knight is actually quite suited for dealing with Lights.

Thanks

You must learn how to move and how to spread the incoming damage.

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 07:42 AM

I must admit, since the Crusader came out, I’ve rediscovered my love for Artemis SRM4s. Their spread is so tight they’re darn near pinpoint.

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 08:20 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 23 July 2022 - 07:42 AM, said:

I must admit, since the Crusader came out, I’ve rediscovered my love for Artemis SRM4s. Their spread is so tight they’re darn near pinpoint.

It has been a few days since I last saw the missile-equipped Crusader in the game.

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 09:26 PM

View Postmartian, on 23 July 2022 - 08:20 AM, said:

It has been a few days since I last saw the missile-equipped Crusader in the game.

Yeah, the 6T and the Crael are the ones folks are wild about, but I like playing the 5K with MRMs and the 3R with Artemis SRMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users