First Couple Builds; How Am I Doing?

5 replies to this topic

#1 wetstapler

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 08:39 AM

I've got two mechs now to hop between in quick play, and they seem to be doing me okay now so I'd like to get more experienced opinions.

Urbanmech: https://mwo.nav-alph...30441e7e_UM-R80
Enforcer: https://mwo.nav-alph...c7f1c0ea_ENF-5P

Heavy mechs look interesting but the queue is laden with them so I want to try them later. Fast and a pain in the *** is how I like to play, anyways.

I am new to MWO, but have experience with MW5, so the level of customization is really outstanding to me.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:10 AM

Your triple LL urbie build is solid. 3 LL or ERLL makes for a light mech that isnt' good in a knife fight, but great at assisting heavy or assault mechs with their targets. Pity that its not using the ECM, though. You MIGHT consider dropping a heat sink and a jump jet to get the tonnage for it, but that's your call. You could try the testing grounds in the mech lab to see if that runs too hot, since you can make changes and test them without saving them first.

Likewise, the Enforcer build is a solid skirmisher. You don't want to face tank with it, as your DPS and armor are only average. And if you find yourself running out of ammo a lot, maybe scrape off one jump jet for another half ton, as the mech quirks will double that investment.

Post up before you invest in a Heavy mech. The community can give you all sorts of opinions. =)

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:47 PM

Welcome to MWO, wetstapler! Your builds don't look terrible, but they have some room for improvement.
With your UM-R80 setup, you are leaving most of the quirks unused, especially the ability and the quirk for ECM is a main selling point for the R80. By omitting one LL and replacing it with two ER ML, you can achieve almost the same combat profile, but you're able to mount ECM, another JJ and optimize your armour.
Suggestion: um-r80
This Variant is better off generally with 4x LPPCs, in my opinion.

The Enforcer should be mostly ok, but don't place ammo in the sidetorsi if you don't have to. My suggestion puts ammo in the head and one leg, protected with CASE and also redistributes your armour.
enf-5p

Generally, you'll want to always max out torso armour and distribute that mainly to the front, because that is the direction you want to get shot from. If you die often to backshots, no amount of back armour will save you, because you can't fight what is behind you.

#4 wetstapler

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 05:28 AM

Thanks! I did not even know mechs had quirks, I should try to look at those when I'm considering builds. The ENF was just the only IS medium mech I found with two arm hardpoints for ballistics, and the UM was free from the event.

Regarding armor, how much is "mainly" to the front? Should I have like a 10:1 front:back ratio?

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 05:33 AM

My personal rule of thumb is 1/10 of the mech's weight goes into back armour, but people often go way lower.

#6 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 08:06 AM

I have something between 3 and 6 on rear armour of most of my mechs. Usually torsos full, head empty, legs shaved. Arms low whenever theres no weapons in arms.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users