#1 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 13 June 2022 - 12:52 PM

Hi guys.
Its a bit embarrassing to say but I effin can not beat that mission where you have to take out sortek in his victor.
Everytime,regardles wich mechs I take and regardless what I do my mechs are too beat up to be able to take on sortek and his cronys.
And the best is the moment I try to attack him myself he either headshots me or I get insta focused by all of his support units killing me within seconds.

#2 HerDinky

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 02:37 PM

I haven't experienced problems with this mission myself.

Are you searching for him through other points or are you just heading straight for him? Having a reasonably fresh mech helps. Are you dropping too much head armour on your mech? There are a few mechs (like the Victor) that the AI have an easier time hitting the head on and it is not a good idea to drop below 24 armour points on those.

I have beat the mission in my Victor build with LBX Solidshot SRM4 and 2MPL as well as the MASC equipped Dragon you get from Crimson Crusade mission line.

Try not to rush into too much action. You will get swarmed by enemies. Order you lance mates to attack mechs as they pop up and keep you distance yourself. Even the shorter range weapons can be fired from 300 meters or so without loosing damage.
Focusing on one mech at a time lights and mediums go down really quick.

As I recall there are quite a few vehicles on this mission as well. Don't ignore them. Focus on taking out vehicles if there are more then two or three. They might have very light weapons load-outs but in large groups they can still hurt you. SRM carriers are a priority target under almost all circumstances as those hurt.

#3 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 03:01 PM

While not playing a LOTKL Mission yet as i am to early in the game i noticed that i am the one that gets shot the most and takes the most damage so i second above post that it is crucial to make your lancemates work by assigning targets for them and let them take some damage to keep yourself more healthy for the main objectives.

Tanks and VTOLs they usually can quite well shot down themself but for Mechs you should decide the priority targets and then let them attack your target via the lance command "attack my target".

Allways try to lure Tanks and Mechs away frorm the bulk and finish them quick with local superiority - allways avoid the crowd aside if its a mission with infinite spawn bcs then you have to murder your main target, fulfill your mainobjective b4 you are to damaged to escape from the crowd after finishing the task.

Thats up to you to decide whats the right way...

Hope that helps a little and best success for you.

Edited by Thorqemada, 14 June 2022 - 03:02 PM.

#4 PCHunter

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 04:19 PM

You want to make sure you have tough enough mechs for this battle - max weight and max firepower. Try to put LRMs on every mech in your lance to take down flyers and tanks quickly from distance. Ballistics, PPCs and SRMs are good for shoot and twist tactics. Don't stare larger mechs down. Use your lance to do as much of the heavy lifting prior to the final battle as you can to preserve your armor. Avoid melee combat since you will get counterstruck by an AI that is faster than you.

Edited by PCHunter, 15 June 2022 - 04:20 PM.

#5 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:52 PM

Use long range, such as LRMs, or simply headshot him with PPCs..

#6 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 11:28 AM

As others have indicated, LRM's are your friend in MW5; it's not MWO.

I can't remember the tonnage allowances for that specific mission, but generally if I run a heavy lance with at least three LRM mechs and a brawler, life gets pretty good in MW5.

Three Archer 2R's and a Marauder with max armor, and make the enemy come to you while eating missiles, and so many things just get demolished at range.

Edited by An6ryMan69, 03 February 2023 - 11:31 AM.

#7 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:25 PM

LRMs made pretty much everything but the last story mission a breeze if you want to go that route. The last mission is/was a major hassle because the ai is T8 on that map.

#8 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 04 February 2023 - 08:02 PM

I am at Alexander Kurita/ Hatamoto Chi mission with my lance of 285 tons of damaged mechs. So I am not sure if I have done LOTKL mission 2, but when the odds are against you, take your lance to a knob hill and sit on the other side. Have your lance hold position. Then focus fire on whoever pops over the hill and just try to keep up. Helps if you make the OPFOR walk a bit to reach you.

My annoyance is being given only 3 days to repair for missions. Under pressure, grrr. You are not given much time before being forced to take the Rasselhague Campaign. New players could be forced to abort.

GL&GH! Use the pointy end.

Spoiler

Posted Image

Edited by Lightfoot, 04 February 2023 - 08:57 PM.

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 10:53 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 04 February 2023 - 08:02 PM, said:

I am at Alexander Kurita/ Hatamoto Chi mission with my lance of 285 tons of damaged mechs. So I am not sure if I have done LOTKL mission 2, but when the odds are against you, take your lance to a knob hill and sit on the other side. Have your lance hold position. Then focus fire on whoever pops over the hill and just try to keep up. Helps if you make the OPFOR walk a bit to reach you.

My annoyance is being given only 3 days to repair for missions. Under pressure, grrr. You are not given much time before being forced to take the Rasselhague Campaign. New players could be forced to abort.

GL&GH! Use the pointy end.

Spoiler

Posted Image

The thread is about Legend of the Kestrel Lancers DLC, not the Rise of Rasalhague DLC

#10 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 06:10 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 05 February 2023 - 10:53 AM, said:

The thread is about Legend of the Kestrel Lancers DLC, not the Rise of Rasalhague DLC

By the time I had gotten to those on my first play through I was already faceplanting things with SRMs and some of the harder/heavier missions with LRMs because I couldn't find vanilla mech setups I liked in heavy/assault.

Hunch-4SP is pretty hulked out with SB-ML and srm6/a or streaming. Running at least one of your ai with and ECM heavy/assault is helpful and one with a couple lrms for the silly ac/2 turrets and tanks.

#11 FaustHammer

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 February 2023 - 02:19 PM

I'm not going to lie. I was using PPC and Gauss when I do some of those harder missions and pray for headshots.

#12 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 08 February 2023 - 03:56 PM

The only one that had me stumped was the first one that spawned hundreds of trash mobs if you approached from the obvious way to go to the base. The second one like that at least had a warning in the briefing.

Had to do the last mission a few times because the ai is so completely ******** and can't be bothered to use their lrms on the mechs at the bottom of the hill.

#13 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 10 February 2023 - 01:44 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 05 February 2023 - 10:53 AM, said:

Ah. Been awhile since I did Kestrel Lancers. I can't remember. Finished it though. I was expecting the Kestrel Lancers to arrive after Alexander, but now I see the thread is kind of rezzed up.

Nevertheless if you are being overwhelmed you need to split them up so you face a few at a time and have your lance focus fire as they come into view.. This can be done in a surprisingly small area. Any mound or hillside that you can place between you and their force. Then use the "Go to my Nav" command to place your team out of LOS.

#14 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 03:01 PM

The whole game including Kestrel all I did was only use the team and target one mech at a time (never seen a need to the other team commands and they are not commands I'd ever find worth using), stand back and use LRMs, or get in without a LRM mech and take down as many myself as possible as fast as possible. That's it besides some destruction ones earlier on where I used a light mech.

For configuration, the quality of the components can be the difference between winning and losing no matter how one plays. Couldn't pass one mission until I did that. Also some mech variants aren't as good as others. And jump jets, I switched out for more heat sinks and max out the armor on all mechs.

To answer the original question: All Kestrel missions were easy. I swept through it fast.

Edited by SomersetStriker, 16 February 2023 - 03:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users