Fix Faction Play With Event Queue.

7 replies to this topic

#1 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 06:53 PM

I made a big long post and decided not to post it. I'll try again, and I'll try to keep it short.

Here's how you fix Faction Play-
Understand that Event Queue is not a Game Mode. It's not flashy sounding, it's not marketable.
What Event Queue is, is a phenomenal game system or tool.

Also understand that Players are not Loyalists. We're all Mercs.
The Devs should represent the loyalist factions, they should be giving us contracts and rewarding us for completing them.

Okay, so here's what you do.

Use the Event Queue to create faction flavored events.
You focus on one conflict between two factions per week, month, whatever.
Start with smaller battles and increase to bigger conflicts.

Periodically, the events should culminate in capturing a planet somewhere. This will coincide with a new map release from Francois.

As I said, we are all Mercs. So when the event running is Steiner vs Kurita or Clan Wolf vs Rasslehague or whatever the event may be, players get Loyalist and Merc exp in Faction Play Rewards.
Speaking of Rewards, this company gives a way a TON of free stuff. No less than 30% of all monthly rewards (I believe it should be 70%) should be Faction Play Exclusive.

As the event queue allows, you can do any variation on team or solo drop rules. You can run missions that have drop decks or not. etc.

I'd suggest that as each conflict escalates, the requirements for drop decks and 4man or 12man teams start coming into play.

Modes that work for Single Drops-
Assault, Skirmish, Domination.

Modes that work for Drop Decks-
Conquest, Siege.

Conquest really shines in Faction Play, with Drop Decks. That should be the majority of games, in my opinion.

I want to reiterate the importance of using the Event Queue tool to prevent Team vs Pug drops. Either go with teams or go with solo drops, but this pug farming was never healthy for the mode. It has to stop.

Borreal Vault is the first map that needs to be looked at by Francois.

That's basically it. I think I summed it up.
I think it's a pretty simple plan, but it could breathe new life into Faction Play and MWO as a whole.

You can use the event queue to tailor games for the population to play it, with bigger games during peak hours. You can bring back scouting missions to appease the group of players who wants that. You can keep siege periodically for the diehard faction players. You can make Everyone happy.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 12 July 2022 - 07:02 PM.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 07:16 PM

Event Queue was good for a day, but if it ran for months I think it would be as empty as Solaris became.

#3 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 07:28 PM

View PostNightbird, on 12 July 2022 - 07:16 PM, said:

Event Queue was good for a day, but if it ran for months I think it would be as empty as Solaris became.

Not if they change it up.
The best thing about Event Queue rules is that you know what they are before you drop.
You'd know before you enter if your dropping River City Conquest or Vitric Forge Siege for the next 4 hours.

Imagine dropping 8v8 faction play, heavies only, or mediums only, or assaults only.
Imagine dropping Siege mode with three random groups of 4 on each side, and quickly.
Imagine if FP was really popping, and the games were really good.

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 12 July 2022 - 07:40 PM

Not a bad idea. Its got potential, and with the right scenarios, even the tiny dev team could pull off a 5 day event.

#5 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 08:40 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 12 July 2022 - 07:40 PM, said:

Not a bad idea. Its got potential, and with the right scenarios, even the tiny dev team could pull off a 5 day event.

Thank you.
I think the critical element is to narrow down the gazillion factions , and focus on one conflict at a time.. create a story to get invested in.
Clan Wolf vs Steiner, for example...
Play out that campaign, culminating in a major planetary conflict supported with a new map exclusively released for that event.
Once that campaign is over, the new map goes into rotation, and we start a new campaign and do it all over again.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 13 July 2022 - 10:41 AM.

#6 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 11:11 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 13 July 2022 - 08:40 AM, said:

Thank you.
I think the critical element is to narrow down the gazillion factions , and focus on one conflict at a time.. create a story to get invested in.
Clan Wolf vs Steiner, for example...
Play out that campaign, culminating in a major planetary conflict supported with a new map exclusively released for that event.
Once that campaign is over, the new map goes into rotation, and we start a new campaign and do it all over again.

With your Clan Wolf vs. House Steiner example, you've just conjured the dead souls of SWOL pilots from the past. Whatever happens now is on you, FeeWaiver.

#7 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 01:36 PM

imo, it'd be worth a try. factionplay is the one thing about mwo that makes it actually worth playing.
breathing some life into that would be great.

big bonus: nobody is 'forced' to play it, either. rotatoe-Q will still do fine besides the event(s).

one thing though: maybe we should have more than 2 factions playing against each other.
example: davion vs clan-wolf... I mean, come on - I imagine my mechs with both emblems/crests
and just... yuck. nah, I don't wanna.Posted Image
srsly: jadefalcons would be bad enough, but I could stomach that for a few matches, still.. Posted Image

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 04:07 PM

i liked the idea of letting the contents of the queue dictate the conflict rather than vise versa. if one side is stacked enough where you can take those groups and form a game, and the other side has 3 pugs in queue, you really should launch a civil war match on that side. to do otherwise is piss poor queue utilization. then players can just fly the flag they want and get games.

im also a proponent of pug nights, and you could now use event queue for that so people who play fp are not affected. formerly it would have required setting a couple days a week aside for pug play, which the denizens of fp really didnt want even though its dead most of the week anyway. if event queue can handle siege mode and reward lp that would be a good way to train pugs for fp, or at least let them play without getting farmed. and i would certainly use event queue if we ever have another battle of tukayyid.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 July 2022 - 04:09 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users