1:96 Scale Pixel Mechs

5 replies to this topic

#1 kristan dagley

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 01 September 2022 - 05:31 AM

I have been lurking around online at DeviantArt for awhile now after spotting "Sleeping-Demons" pixel art BattleTech creations, and then getting inspired by the likes of Alistair Winter and Luscious Dan, I finally felt I needed to do something about it. So I have since the start of August been working on my own ambitious contributions to the BattleTech/BattleMech Pixel Art renaissance...

I decided to go for a larger 1:96 scale (also known as 1⁄8″ scale), roughly on par with what Sleeping-Demons has been using from what I can tell, which is a historic scale for model ships/spacecraft that is slightly larger then the popular train model "HO scale" (1:87.1) for the benefits of the details it can provide, and options for adding decals, more complex colored camo paint schemes, and ease of using some modular parts across designs. This scale is also larger then most 3D plastic/metal mini figures and the hex map boards they use (so as to not be a direct competitor), but still small enough and easy enough to print out or color with simple programs like MS Paint, without taking tons of time or resources.

The goal of this project is to make available as many different 'Mech chassis as possible, AND an image for most if not all known official and semi-official variants for that chassis from the BattleTech/Mechwarrior universe.

Each "variant" will get its own image, color palette, grayscale template (so you can see which regions should be lighter/darker, and weapons/equipment color breakdown. Also provided are means to compare the average height of the chassis versus other 'Mech chassis. Each "chassis" will get a dedicated picture with a lineup of all variants produced for that chassis.

You can follow my work and progress at: https://www.deviantart.com/mjolnir006

Feel free to use any of these for your own projects/uses, hopefully they will be of benefit to the community. Posted Image Posted Image

Just a few samples below from my DeviantArt page:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 22 September 2022 - 06:17 PM

Pretty cool! I'm actually working on a game using those smaller pixel arts from Alistair/Luscious (to be unveiled soon'ish). Not sure I'd be able to use any of these larger scale ones, though it would be quite cool if a Tarantula were made in the size and scale of those smaller pixel arts :)

#3 kristan dagley

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the comment CapperDeluxe! My first Clan BattleMech template is now complete just to update this thread a little bit.

Posted Image

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 24 September 2022 - 06:11 PM

That Adder looks great! Though I noticed the feet are viewed at an angled perspective instead of straight on like the others, that intentional?

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 24 September 2022 - 06:11 PM.

#5 kristan dagley

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:14 PM

Yes, I am going for more of a point of perspective view now rather then a straight-on view as you move up or down the chassis, this allows more of the arms and legs to be seen, although despite more work it allows for a greater extension of any particular camo pattern given there is more "mech" visible.

The Locust and Flea were more testing my skills and figuring out what works, the Spider and Fireball were my introduction to point perspective, but both have compact or small feet which makes viewing the rear sections harder.

The Tarantula, Cicada and Raven I have more of the point perspective in earnest. You cannot always easily tell there is a back foot shown, like in the Cicada or Raven images, but it is there.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 kristan dagley

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 02:22 PM

Just dropping off a few more examples as I continue to work on adding Adder (Puma) variants to my DeviantArt Page: https://www.devianta...006/gallery/all

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users