Targeting Mechanics

4 replies to this topic

#1 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 12 September 2022 - 03:47 PM

I understand if I don't have a target selected that it's possible to have it auto select the enemy target when my cross hair is over the target after a second or two.

I also know that if I have an enemy targeted that is not in my sights I can hit the Target command to choose a different target. (I've been told it selects the target closest to your cross hair)

The part that frustrates me is this.. I'll target an enemy in front of me.. I get hit in the back and turn to face the enemy that hit me. Even if I have the cross hair directly over the enemy in front of me.. if I have enemy targets my team has selected behind me.. my Target command will cycle through those targets instead of landing on the sole enemy target in front of me.

I've yet to find a way to fix this as usually my team doesn't know about the enemy that hit me in the back until it's targeted or I call it out over the comms.

The part that's even more frustrating is sometimes the targets behind me will be over 500m away while the one enemy in front of me is within 300m and the Target command will STILL cycle through the targets behind me MULTIPLE TIMES instead of selecting the ONE enemy target in front of me.

My question is.. is there a way to add a feature to 'Select Nearest Enemy Target' or maybe fix it so we can just hit the Target command to cycle through targets that are engaged Alpha through Zulu instead of "Oh.. Charlie is in front of you but we're going to cycle between Alpha and Bravo instead of locking on Charlie which is blowing your 'mech apart. Tee hee."?

Say an example situation.. We have Alpha, Delta, Echo targeted but Bravo and Charlie aren't so when we hit the Target key it cycles through Alpha Delta and Echo effectively skipping Bravo and Charlie until they're targeted again so there are no repeated lockons?

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 12 September 2022 - 04:43 PM

That sounds a lot like how targeting works in MW5. Press T for next enemy, R for the enemy in your gunsights.

But MWO just has R. It targets the mech in your sights if there is one, or cycles through targets like you’re describing if there is none.

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 12 September 2022 - 04:52 PM.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 10:02 AM

or any other mw game ever made. i miss the days of dedicating an entire hat switch or two to targeting commands. freespace was ledgendary in this reguard. every key was used 3 times. it had some goodies like 'target enemy attacking me' and 'target target's target'. i never used that one but it was nice to know you could.

#4 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 03:00 AM

Yeah, it'd be nice to have 'target target's target'.

#5 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 11:23 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 September 2022 - 10:02 AM, said:

or any other mw game ever made. i miss the days of dedicating an entire hat switch or two to targeting commands. freespace was ledgendary in this reguard. every key was used 3 times. it had some goodies like 'target enemy attacking me' and 'target target's target'. i never used that one but it was nice to know you could.

Freespace is still unsurpassed when it comes to the targeting mechanics.

From a set of building blocks, you could easily string together consecutive targeting commands to get to what you wanted within 2 or 3 keystrokes.

Combine that with the ability to target multiple ships simultaneously (both friendly and enemy), and a robust system for giving orders to wingmen, and you could handle some pretty complex scenarios, in real time.

Wing Commander Prophecy introduced larger battles and tried to facilitate the players' ability to handle the situation with its tactical view but this was immersion breaking as it literally paused the game while you looked at a 3D view of the battlespace and took your time to decide what orders to give to whom.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users