Most Frequently Used Engines On Grimmechs

18 replies to this topic

#1 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 08:26 AM

https://i.ibb.co/kSc...orrected3-1.png
Posted Image

Edited by mytilus edulis, 03 October 2022 - 02:04 PM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 08:41 AM

View Postmytilus edulis, on 03 October 2022 - 08:26 AM, said:

Well, yes?

It is a well known fact that 250(255)-rated engine contains all ten heat sinks in the engine, and 275(280)-, 300-, 325-, 375- and 400-rated engines are set on the thresholds that let the player hide additional heat sinks in the engine.

And of course, engine too big usually means not enough tonnage for weapons and armor, so people often avoid their use (especially true for standard engines).

Edited by martian, 04 October 2022 - 07:58 AM.

#3 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 12:23 PM

View Postmartian, on 03 October 2022 - 08:41 AM, said:

Well, yes?

It is a well known fact that 250(255)-, 275(280)-, 300-, 325-, 375- and 400-rated engines are set on the thresholds that let the player hide additional heat sinks in the engine.

And of course, engine too big usually means not enough tonnage for weapons and armor, so people often avoid their use (especially true for standard engines).

if you don't like it, you don't have to read it

#4 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 12:53 PM

295 is underrated

#5 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 October 2022 - 06:14 PM

View PostGagis, on 03 October 2022 - 12:53 PM, said:

295 is underrated

Yes it is.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 08:34 PM

View Postmytilus edulis, on 03 October 2022 - 12:23 PM, said:

if you don't like it, you don't have to read it

I checked your picture, but I have not found any comment to it.

It seems to me that your picture mostly confirms what I said.

#7 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 11:21 PM

View Postmartian, on 03 October 2022 - 08:34 PM, said:

And?

#8 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 02:03 AM

View Postmytilus edulis, on 03 October 2022 - 11:21 PM, said:

And?

Is point of this thread to have some kind of conversation about topic or just stating those numbers?

also:
"
Tier Lists erased, GrimMERCH available!
Submitted 28 August 2022 by Tarogato

The Tier Lists haven't been meaningfully updated since Cauldron started implementing changes. The meta has shifted significantly since then and it makes no sense to keep old misleading tier ratings on the site for now.

New ratings are a work in progress, we hope to have the new ratings start populating with the next week or two as we discuss them. Check out the Focus Week channel on our Discord server if you'd like to make suggestions!
"

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:03 AM

View Postmytilus edulis, on 03 October 2022 - 11:21 PM, said:

And?

And if you post a picture on the discussion forum, you should expect that other people will discuss the content of the picture.

#10 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 07:30 PM

View PostCurccu, on 04 October 2022 - 02:03 AM, said:

Is point of this thread to have some kind of conversation about topic or just stating those numbers?

also:
"
Tier Lists erased, GrimMERCH available!
Submitted 28 August 2022 by Tarogato

The Tier Lists haven't been meaningfully updated since Cauldron started implementing changes. The meta has shifted significantly since then and it makes no sense to keep old misleading tier ratings on the site for now.

New ratings are a work in progress, we hope to have the new ratings start populating with the next week or two as we discuss them. Check out the Focus Week channel on our Discord server if you'd like to make suggestions!
"

Was just trying to help people who were choosing engines for the sale. These numbers are for all the builds in the database, not the tier lists

View Postmartian, on 04 October 2022 - 08:03 AM, said:

And if you post a picture on the discussion forum, you should expect that other people will discuss the content of the picture.

first you say you have no comment, then you say this, I am confused

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 04 October 2022 - 07:43 PM

View Postmytilus edulis, on 04 October 2022 - 07:30 PM, said:

Was just trying to help people who were choosing engines for the sale. These numbers are for all the builds in the database, not the tier lists

Adding that to your post would have headed off all the negative stuff so far. Posted Image

#12 Kesper North

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:11 PM

View Postmartian, on 03 October 2022 - 08:34 PM, said:

you sound fun to hang out with and as though you have many friends

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 04 October 2022 - 07:43 PM, said:

Adding that to your post would have headed off all the negative stuff so far. Posted Image

as someone who just came back to the game after not having played since like 2015 or so, it's very useful to me in choosing how to spend my c-bills!

imo, data has inherent value. why would one look a gift graph in the face (other than to judge its accuracy) is a bit mystifying to me

#13 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:34 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 04 October 2022 - 07:43 PM, said:

if people are being negative, I don't see how a chart about engine quantities could possibly be responsible for their disposition

#14 Vite Ramen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:45 PM

Wow, thanks for the charts, mytilus. Very useful for deciding which engines to stock up on during sales. Thanks for your hard work. This is going to save me a bunch of cbills.

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 08:03 AM

View Postmytilus edulis, on 04 October 2022 - 07:30 PM, said:

first you say you have no comment, then you say this, I am confused

It was you who posted just one picture with no accompanying text.

And I still think those engine ratings listed above are important for their option of placing heat sinks in the engine.

View PostKesper North, on 04 October 2022 - 08:11 PM, said:

you sound fun to hang out with and as though you have many friends

And I still think those engine ratings listed above are important for their option of placing heat sinks in the engine.

#16 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 05 October 2022 - 08:23 AM

View Postmytilus edulis, on 04 October 2022 - 08:34 PM, said:

if people are being negative, I don't see how a chart about engine quantities could possibly be responsible for their disposition

Truer words were never spoken. Posted Image

View PostLlyranor, on 04 October 2022 - 08:45 PM, said:

Wow, thanks for the charts, mytilus. Very useful for deciding which engines to stock up on during sales. Thanks for your hard work. This is going to save me a bunch of cbills.

Just make sure the variants of mechs you're using need the engines on the list. The 295 is on there because its the max engine cap for a number of great builds, but if you're not using those mechs, a 300 is a much better buy in general. Ditto for the 275 vs the 280.

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 05 October 2022 - 08:25 AM.

#17 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 08:30 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 05 October 2022 - 08:23 AM, said:

Just make sure the variants of mechs you're using need the engines on the list. The 295 is on there because its the max engine cap for a number of great builds, but if you're not using those mechs, a 300 is a much better buy in general. Ditto for the 275 vs the 280.

You are right.

Also, a new player - or a cash-strapped player -.can standardize his builds around one or two common engine sizes and then swap them from 'Mech to 'Mech. I remember doing that when my pile of C-Bills was pretty small. Posted Image

#18 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 09:06 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 05 October 2022 - 08:23 AM, said:

Just make sure the variants of mechs you're using need the engines on the list. The 295 is on there because its the max engine cap for a number of great builds, but if you're not using those mechs, a 300 is a much better buy in general.

I disagree. 300 weighs more than 295 for only slightly more speed. It is always worth it for hot mechs that need the extra heat sinks slot, but I have many heavy mechs running cool autocannons and barely any heat sinks, where I downgrade engine from 300 to 295 in order to carry more ammo.

Many mechs on grimmechs database use 300 rating engines without even filling the internal heat sinks.

#19 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 09:44 AM

View PostGagis, on 03 October 2022 - 12:53 PM, said:

295 is underrated

Yeah, I think people sleep on it. The 300 makes sense on builds where you're crit-capped but not tonnage-capped, so having the extra sink in the engine makes sense (e.g., a lot of assault mechs). But if you've got the space in the main machine you can put the sink there, and trade maybe a couple of KPH for a very significant increase in your free tonnage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users