Pubg Mode

15 replies to this topic

Poll: PUBG MODE (12 member(s) have cast votes)

PUBG mode yes or no?

1. YES (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. no (7 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 05:35 PM

I think a PUBG-style constantly receding circle of damage over time would really make things interesting. I mean DAMAGE over very little time. It'll make people rethink the snipe meta and bring more rounded builds making the game more interesting.

#2 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 02:06 AM

If you're going to vote no at least have the courage to say why.

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 14 October 2022 - 02:52 AM

View PostFierce Ferret, on 09 October 2022 - 05:35 PM, said:

I think a PUBG-style constantly receding circle of damage over time would really make things interesting. I mean DAMAGE over very little time. It'll make people rethink the snipe meta and bring more rounded builds making the game more interesting.

I wish this were within the capability of PGI's current choice of Game Engine which MWO is using at this time, as this idea will likely have my...

SUPPORT, with a fair side-note

...on the matter. Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge, the bits of CryTek's "CryEngine 3" which they're using do not appear to support moving board limits in any way. :o

Even if this was possible, there would have to be a very slow movement rate of the border over a 15-minute time period. We can not be unfair toward Mechs which have a 32 KPH to 48 KPH cap preventing them from moving quickly. (You know... those 100-ton Assaults like the DWF and ANH which are limited to a 300 Engine for what can be installed!) Further in regards to game mechanics with such a moving outer border, the damage incurred outside the limit would have to be very slow. Anything more than 1 to 3 point(s) of damage per second would be too high against Mechs with a slower engine cap that blocks them from quick movement. It's possible here that a 40-second Out-Of-Bounds Timer for this moving border might be a far better idea instead for handling this issue. :huh:

Before my mind forgets, it happens that I should note there used to be (like 6.5 years ago) a way to counter the Sniper-type players. It even rendered the want & need for shrinking the allowed play area rather unnecessary. Its' name was the LRM and it used to have enough range to reach out and strike upon the Sniper-types who would sit back at stupidly extreme ranges. Sometimes this would have the effect of suppressing the Snipers long enough for the Brawlers to travel over and take them down, enabling teamwork between two types of players at once. Perhaps we have finally reached the point where it's time that LRMs get a minor baseline buff (increase from 900m into something up to 950m in range) to combat the longer-ranged players which it was meant to counter both in the past and present. As things are right now, the LRMs (and far too many other weapons) can not currently counter or suppress Snipers in any proper manner, and it really is hurting the overall balance and gameplay for many people. :(

View PostFierce Ferret, on 10 October 2022 - 02:06 AM, said:

You might want to alter your Poll to display names of those who clicked a choice. There are unfortunately those who will vote on a Poll and not speak up with their beliefs when they can slink away anonymously. :rolleyes:

~D. V. "giving a thumbs-up for allowing a shrinking battle area, provided it does not happen too fast" Devnull

#4 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 03:16 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 14 October 2022 - 02:52 AM, said:

I wish this were within the capability of PGI's current choice of Game Engine which MWO is using at this time, as this idea will likely have my...

SUPPORT, with a fair side-note

...on the matter. Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge, the bits of CryTek's "CryEngine 3" which they're using do not appear to support moving board limits in any way. Posted Image

Even if this was possible, there would have to be a very slow movement rate of the border over a 15-minute time period. We can not be unfair toward Mechs which have a 32 KPH to 48 KPH cap preventing them from moving quickly. (You know... those 100-ton Assaults like the DWF and ANH which are limited to a 300 Engine for what can be installed!) Further in regards to game mechanics with such a moving outer border, the damage incurred outside the limit would have to be very slow. Anything more than 1 to 3 point(s) of damage per second would be too high against Mechs with a slower engine cap that blocks them from quick movement. It's possible here that a 40-second Out-Of-Bounds Timer for this moving border might be a far better idea instead for handling this issue. Posted Image

Before my mind forgets, it happens that I should note there used to be (like 6.5 years ago) a way to counter the Sniper-type players. It even rendered the want & need for shrinking the allowed play area rather unnecessary. Its' name was the LRM and it used to have enough range to reach out and strike upon the Sniper-types who would sit back at stupidly extreme ranges. Sometimes this would have the effect of suppressing the Snipers long enough for the Brawlers to travel over and take them down, enabling teamwork between two types of players at once. Perhaps we have finally reached the point where it's time that LRMs get a minor baseline buff (increase from 900m into something up to 950m in range) to combat the longer-ranged players which it was meant to counter both in the past and present. As things are right now, the LRMs (and far too many other weapons) can not currently counter or suppress Snipers in any proper manner, and it really is hurting the overall balance and gameplay for many people. Posted Image

You might want to alter your Poll to display names of those who clicked a choice. There are unfortunately those who will vote on a Poll and not speak up with their beliefs when they can slink away anonymously. Posted Image

~D. V. "giving a thumbs-up for allowing a shrinking battle area, provided it does not happen too fast" Devnull

You're just disagreeing to disagree. Comment disregarded.

#5 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 05:39 AM

View PostFierce Ferret, on 14 October 2022 - 03:16 AM, said:

You're just disagreeing to disagree. Comment disregarded.

And that's where you went wrong... Guess which button I pressed when I put my Vote on the Poll up there? :angry:

I hit the "YES" Option on the Poll and was left very extremely disappointed that I could not see my name by it. :D

Your thought that I was disagreeing is literally false in every sense of what the word "False" means! So in my case, it happens that I'm sitting here laughing because you are apparently unable to see constructive criticism being provided to you. :lol:

~D. V. "being helpful about 'Fierce Ferret's own 'PubG Mode' Idea but got wrongfully discounted" Devnull

#6 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 01:19 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 14 October 2022 - 05:39 AM, said:

And that's where you went wrong...

Okay, fair enough. I was angry this morning but it had nothing to do with you or MWO and I just didn't read your whole post because I'm an @ss. I apologize, like, seriously.

The DoT (Damage Over Time) could be applied to individual mechs. The weather/wall would just be a visual, not an actual border.

The frame work for the placement of the DoT circles should already be in place considering the function of the P-stain and capture points, I doubt it would require much of a rework.

The DoT itself could just be a slowed version of the overheat function triggered by the capture point/P-stain function.

As for the slow mechs, the circle could only recede fast enough to ensure a 20 minute match in the event that pilots are clever enough to survive that long. So, as long as you're on the move and have a plan you would be fine in a slow mech.

The circle has to have a very obvious marker of where it is receding to and where it is at so no matter how slow you are you'll know where you need to be.

I think the individual mechanics are already in place for this mode so it shouldn't require much rework compared to something like hit register which they have managed to improve.

Also, we haven't had a new quick play mode in a long time, it's due for a change if anything (bugs aside because there will always be bugs). It could also help to get old players to return and bring in new players that are familiar with it due to Pubg/Apex Legends, etc.

Edited by Fierce Ferret, 14 October 2022 - 01:21 PM.

#7 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 01:24 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 14 October 2022 - 05:39 AM, said:

~D. V. "being helpful about 'Fierce Ferret's own 'PubG Mode' Idea but got wrongfully discounted" Devnull

Haha! Indeed you did.

I did try to make the poll public but it wouldn't let me! I even tried to make a new poll just to see where I went wrong and still couldn't figure it out. Posted Image

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 03:49 AM

View PostFierce Ferret, on 14 October 2022 - 01:24 PM, said:

I did try to make the poll public but it wouldn't let me! I even tried to make a new poll just to see where I went wrong and still couldn't figure it out. Posted Image

It's not just you on that one. I reached back and checked an old thread of mine with a Poll on it. So happens that switching Name Reveal there was also not possible. Best guess says it only allows that when the Poll is originally being set up for Votes to be given? :(

~D. V. "Name Reveal on Polls seems to be limited by initial config..." Devnull

#9 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 09:06 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 15 October 2022 - 03:49 AM, said:

~D. V. "Name Reveal on Polls seems to be limited by initial config..." Devnull

The option seems to have been removed, starting with this post. My last polls worked just fine for public and I tried to start a new pole with public but couldn't. Not sure why they would change that o.O?

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 12:42 AM

View PostFierce Ferret, on 15 October 2022 - 09:06 AM, said:

The option seems to have been removed, starting with this post. My last polls worked just fine for public and I tried to start a new pole with public but couldn't. Not sure why they would change that o.O?

Try checking it from a "Start New Topic" dialog page. I just looked and they are still allowing it there. So it seems that they only allow Name Reveal to be defined during the beginning Topic & Poll Creation being done, and not after. Does not really help in this situation, but at least it's useful to know for the future. :mellow:

~D. V. "Confirmed that Name Reveal is only during Initial Topic & Poll Creation" Devnull

#11 TP-313 Mac

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 01:26 AM

I've been voting for "No" because I simply really don't like this kind of game style and I don't want to see it in MWO.

I know for myself that it can be really frustrating, but Snipers are part of the game like LRM-Boats, Supporters and Brawlers are. Different "classes" make a game more interesting and realistic for me. And changing the game system just to make it more difficult for a "class" is not the right way imo. This will end up in everyone playing Brawlers, which will make the game quite boring.

#12 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 02:30 AM

View PostTP-313 Mac, on 16 October 2022 - 01:26 AM, said:

I've been voting for "No" because I simply really don't like this kind of game style and I don't want to see it in MWO.

I know for myself that it can be really frustrating, but Snipers are part of the game like LRM-Boats, Supporters and Brawlers are. Different "classes" make a game more interesting and realistic for me. And changing the game system just to make it more difficult for a "class" is not the right way imo. This will end up in everyone playing Brawlers, which will make the game quite boring.

Thanks for your reply!

Keep in mind this would only be one mode of many and it would by no means kill the long range builds. There would be more of a demand for medium range builds that are easier to aim while moving. You'll want to be shooting and moving the whole time which would make you much more vulnerable to long range builds and lurms.

Ranged builds won't have as long to hide or aim but there will be a lot more mechs forced into the open. A good ranged pilot will have a hay-day, a mediocre one might consider medium range. Brawling isn't exactly easy.

I said "rethink" snipes, not abandon them. Ranged builds (not lurms) are the meta simply because range works with any map or mode, they are by no means over powered. However, there are many instances where short range is at a steep disadvantage.

I think we can agree that the game needs to evolve and get a larger player base. It's clear that the "Battle Royal" type game play is very popular and it could bring fresh new players to the game modes that you prefer also.

#13 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 02:36 AM

Also, I'm betting the Devs could have a lot of fun flexing their creativity on a new map mode, it's win-win! =P

#14 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 08:34 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 16 October 2022 - 12:42 AM, said:

~D. V. "Confirmed that Name Reveal is only during Initial Topic & Poll Creation" Devnull

I know this is a bit off topic so if anyone is interested about the polls you should check out this thread:

https://mwomercs.com...e-public-polls/

A lot of questions were answered.

#15 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 06:13 AM

View PostFierce Ferret, on 10 October 2022 - 02:06 AM, said:

Because it sounds like "he is playing better than me, and therefore he must be punished!!" Kinda general idea, I dont go for that kind of crap. It's the same complain one sees in every game that has something sniper in it.

#16 JPeiper

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 11:04 AM

No, don't want to have to fight the game engine too. Snipers are killed easily by a light with the usual 100 odd mg's and sm lasers. The game has already nerfed lrms and mid/long range assaults due to the op lights and some maps like helebore and solaris. I don't play sniper, I play mid range from choice, and as long as you watch your angles and don't stand in the open you'll only take one hit. -So try playing an assault with a light or two circle strafing you, death in 20 seconds. Came back to game today after a few months off, played one game with an lrm boat and could'nt hold a lock due to new rad dep querks, (35 dam and shot to bits) ...bin lrm boat, played a few games with a faf and go my back opened up most of the time.
No, PGI needs to bring back the diverse loadouts that make it fun, not muck about with "new" game modes...unless you all want to play halo in lights which seems to be the current meta.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users