Is/clan Artemis System

31 replies to this topic

#1 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 12:34 PM

As of the time of this thread, is it still worth it? Honestly only found outdated and contradictory information to the point where...well Im not sure whats the point of artemise anymore...

What they do affect? What they do not affect? What other equipment they work better well with? I feel like I need this kind of information in orderto optimize my loadout, otherwise Im missing out on getting the best out of any mech or weapon.

Edited by simon1812, 08 November 2022 - 12:39 PM.

#2 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 12:42 AM

This seems rather a General Discussion than a Feature Suggestion and has been moved to the respective subforum accordingly.

#3 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 01:50 AM

https://mwomercs.com...atch-notes/2251

edit: NVM Artemis wasn't in that patch

Edited by Curccu, 09 November 2022 - 01:53 AM.

#4 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 02:27 AM

View Postsimon1812, on 08 November 2022 - 12:34 PM, said:

As of the time of this thread, is it still worth it? Honestly only found outdated and contradictory information to the point where...well Im not sure whats the point of artemise anymore...

What they do affect? What they do not affect? What other equipment they work better well with? I feel like I need this kind of information in orderto optimize my loadout, otherwise Im missing out on getting the best out of any mech or weapon.

It improves Spread. You'll find some old stuff saying it improves lockon time, but it doesn't anymore.

Since you pay a flat 1 ton and 1 slot per launcher, it's only really worthwhile on the largest launchers.

It is worth it on SRM 6's for both Clan and IS. SRM 4's and 2's not really as their spread is decent.

For LRMS, its worth it on IS LRM20's but not essential. You'll notice the spread difference vs lights and mediums, but you'll mostly be shooting heavies and assaults with LRMs. Generally you want more tubes if you have the choice.

For Clan its a harder choice since generally you're better off just running more launchers instead of spending the weight on Artemis. Generally it is not worthwhile.

The only good LRM build that uses it is probably the Catapult C1 since it only has 2 hardpoints anyway.

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 02:36 AM

Artemis improves missile spread by 30% against targets in LOS only. It is inactive when operating under the "low signal" condition, for example when you are under the influence of an enemy ECM.

#6 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 07:02 AM

I've always been told they are good on SRM6's, not worth it for 4s and 2s.. like Heavy Money said.

I don't know if that's still true today. I haven't done the math and don't even know where to begin..

I wonder if something like a Dervish or Cyclops boating 2s and 4s all over their body would benefit from Artemis, and I really don't know. It's hard to justify doubling the weight of Srm2s, and I feel like I would be made fun of if someone saw me do it.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 09 November 2022 - 07:05 AM.

#7 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 12:54 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 09 November 2022 - 02:36 AM, said:

Artemis improves missile spread by 30% against targets in LOS only. It is inactive when operating under the "low signal" condition, for example when you are under the influence of an enemy ECM.

The current MWO has more ECM in the game than it used to have in the past.

#8 Dyex

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 01:43 PM

Overall it's nice to have Artemis as long as you have space/tonnage, maybe less to with Clan though since they often can just pack more missile tubes.

Having a tighter cluster of missiles will give better results with LRMs.
SRMs you can have the choice not get Artmis, but then you must be closer to the target to get the same results.

If your build is has low ammo, then don't take it and get the extra ammo instead.

Overall my testing Artemis results are you'll core out a mech maybe about 6% sooner and as I said less spread on other parts.

Edited by Dyex, 09 November 2022 - 01:45 PM.

#9 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 11 November 2022 - 02:03 PM

Artemis is waste of tons rn after big rebalance pass - wont give quicker locks shame :/

Edited by r4plez, 11 November 2022 - 02:04 PM.

#10 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 November 2022 - 07:05 PM

View Postr4plez, on 11 November 2022 - 02:03 PM, said:

Artemis is waste of tons rn after big rebalance pass - wont give quicker locks shame :/

Which is a good thing. Gives me an extra second before a streak boat takes me out.

#11 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 10:16 AM

The main reason to not use artemis is space the main reason to use artemis is tonnage.
Artemis 15 means it's downgraded to a LRM 10 spread. I don't see much benefit by using artemis LRM 20 since it doesn't downgrade the missile in spread since LRM15 and 20 has equal spread.

artemis SRMs is mythology since you will hit the target at point blank range.

#12 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 11:47 AM

View Postcaravann, on 15 November 2022 - 10:16 AM, said:

The main reason to not use artemis is space the main reason to use artemis is tonnage.
Artemis 15 means it's downgraded to a LRM 10 spread. I don't see much benefit by using artemis LRM 20 since it doesn't downgrade the missile in spread since LRM15 and 20 has equal spread.

Artemis IV still helps with the missile spread, even on LRM-20.

View Postcaravann, on 15 November 2022 - 10:16 AM, said:

artemis SRMs is mythology since you will hit the target at point blank range.

Artemis IV can mean the difference between covering a half of the enemy 'Mech with missiles and hitting the section of the enemy 'Mech that you really wish to hit.

#13 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 November 2022 - 01:07 PM

Given the glut of ecm using artemis for anything other than an srm bomber is counter productive. Yeah they tighten the spread of lrm IF you have los but most lrm slingers are relying on others for their locks so its pointless. Save the ton and slot for more missiles and have a narc/tag buddy light em up for you.

#14 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 12:09 AM

Artemis is:

Very powerful on IS/Clan SRM6

Powerful on IS SRM4 / Iffy on Clan SRM4

Not worth the weight increase on IS/Clan SRM2

Generally speaking, the fewer missile mounts your mech has the more valuable Artemis is because the additional slot cost is kept to a minimum and more launchers w/o Artemis can somewhat compensate for the worse spread.

#15 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 12:42 AM

View PostMechMaster059, on 18 November 2022 - 12:09 AM, said:

Powerful on IS SRM4 / Iffy on Clan SRM4

I think you got that backwards, because IS SRM4 has a lower spread than Clan SRM4 (3.75 vs 4.25)

#16 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 07:44 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 18 November 2022 - 12:42 AM, said:

I think you got that backwards, because IS SRM4 has a lower spread than Clan SRM4 (3.75 vs 4.25)

The Artemis weight tax is MUCH more expensive for Clan mechs as a percent increase since their SRM launchers weigh so little but Artemis is still +1 ton for them. Artemis is a 100% weight increase for Clan SRM4's but only a 50% increase for IS SRM4's.

This is one of the subtle ways in which the drastically lower weight of Clan SRM's is kept balanced relative to IS SRM's, Artemis is much less attractive for Clan mechs.

Edited by MechMaster059, 18 November 2022 - 08:55 AM.

#17 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 18 November 2022 - 09:31 AM

When Artemis helped lock on time for LRMs I would add it to 20s and sometimes 15s. Now it only helps reduce the hit area for Line of Sight LRM and SRMs. For a 1 ton and 1 space per launcher I no longer bother with it for LRMs and will only use it on SRM6s. SRM4 and 2 are already a smaller area and not worth the tonnage investment.

Quad SRM6+A are brutal.

#18 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 18 November 2022 - 10:38 PM

i don't often use SRMs so i can't say on those but i can say that they are definitely NOT worth the tonnage and slots on LRM. that would much better serve with extra ammo or back-up weapons.

now there was a time when it was must have but back when they changed LRM (the big change was having a flatter trajectory for LOS than for IDF, this was the only good change of the whole pass) they nerfed the hell out of everything that helps LRM, not only did the gut Artemis but they also nerfed TAG (something that also used to be a go to for any LRM mech) and NARC as well shrinking the area that you have to have your cross-hair in to get a lock by like 75%. all in all in was a massive nerfe to all locking weapon systems. at the same time i think AMS got buffed and maybe ECM as well though i don't think so. then again if you spend any time on the forums you will realize that there is a very vocal minority of meta try hard crybabies that are constantly calling to have LRM (and only LRM it seems, they don't seem to mind ATMS or Streaks) removed from the game entirely. ii don't think LRM have got any positive love in quite some time. (honestly though i think they are in an alright place, i would increase that lock area bit and return the Lock time enhancement and cluster area improvement to IDF to Artemis. otherwise i can deal with how they are now.)

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 18 November 2022 - 10:52 PM.

#19 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 19 November 2022 - 12:30 AM

Forget Artemis. Use the space for more ammo\armour\heatsinks\whatever usefull. Works only in LOS and damped by ECM easily. The extra ton+slot not worth it (not to mention the steeper price). If you care about SRM spread that much use Streak instead but keep in mind that need LOCK to fire but partly homing the target (the clan version do at least).
Alternatively you may use TAG or Beagle for LRMs (Beagle not affects SRMs IMO but TAG could still help get locks for streaks).
Artemis would trully worth to exists if it DO help\haste get locks not just reduce spread (what is also reduced by distance so using SRMs within 100m grant the same effect).

#20 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 04:28 AM

View PostMechMaster059, on 18 November 2022 - 07:44 AM, said:

This is one of the subtle ways in which the drastically lower weight of Clan SRM's is kept balanced relative to IS SRM's, Artemis is much less attractive for Clan mechs.

IS SRM4 is accurate enough to be played without Artemis, clan side bit iffy, not that I use cSRM4 often because no reason to use for most of the mech I own.
Also Spread is almost unplayable with cSRM6s without artemis, unless your goal is to do max damage instead of killing.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users