Two Players Independently Developed Significant Fps Optimizations That Require Very Little Work

43 replies to this topic

#41 Major Audie Murphy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 07:14 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 18 January 2024 - 05:35 PM, said:

Thats the old config. It still works but geerams config is far more granular and customizable.

Try these. Also remember that each time you log back in you must load any test map twice to enable the config. Also any time you do a keybind change or anything that requires you to save the settings you must reload a test map twice to get them back in play.

N64 mode for best possible performance. Keeps most effects and mesh at max quality while drastically reducing texture size. Also make sure all graphics settings are at low with textures very high and dx9 as the render engine for both presets.

Sounds like that means I can't adjust brightness settings for each match. that's a no-go for me, I have to adjust gamma and brightness almost every match. I'm running a little laptop, so I don't have any settings on my end that I can adjust, if I don't ahve maximum picture quality I can't see anything hardly.

Looks like I'll have to keep using the old file, so I can adjust setting on the fly.

I'm really happy with the old file anyways, it really helped. Thank you, and any others who worked on it, for providing it.

~300% improvement in game quality.

#42 Major Audie Murphy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 07:56 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 18 January 2024 - 06:42 PM, said:

Nearly all profits from mwo sales go to servers, dev salary and other pgi projects and all major mwo development has been stopped. They made this clear in leaked corp docs. Like I said the new owners put us in maintenance mode so as long as the majority of players can log and play its good to go for them. Anything outside that mandate is going to have to be fan driven and funded.

I think they would do it if a proper pitch was made and I know there are wallets that would open to it if hard guarantees were made over any proposed fixes to be funded.

I'd drop some hard cash if they would fix the buggy physics where you get stuck to random objects.

I'm sure we've all heard the ancient story of the software programmer that went to work for a software company just long enough to fix the program he was sick of being buggy, then he promptly quit.

At this point it doesn't even matter if it is true or not, it has been told so many times it has become a legend.

#43 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,776 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 January 2024 - 08:38 PM

View PostMajor Audie Murphy, on 18 January 2024 - 07:56 PM, said:

I'm sure we've all heard the ancient story of the software programmer that went to work for a software company just long enough to fix the program he was sick of being buggy, then he promptly quit.

At this point it doesn't even matter if it is true or not, it has been told so many times it has become a legend.

Think of it this way. Pretty sure the old core devs have zero desire to delve back into the Frankenstein code they ended up making to get mwo to work. It literally would take a money bribe.

The cryengine version they used was not able to meet the design demands they wanted so entire sections of code were ripped out and replaced with workarounds and patches.

When the cryengine was first opened up for conversion it probably looked much like this.

Posted Image

Neat and orderly with well documented modules and data paths and algorithms.

When they got done it looks like this.

Posted Image

This isn't a bash on the devs. They worked miracles to shoehorn in their code and the fact its still running mostly stable even after all thats been added to it is proof these guys are S tier programmers.

So the point is that its possible that the reason some of the long standing bugs are are still long standing is that there was no reasonable way to correct them given how modified the engine is.

#44 Major Audie Murphy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:13 AM

That's amazing, I had no idea.

Old school. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users