11 replies to this topic

#1 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 03:38 PM

You never see Vapor Eagles anymore.

They never got nerfed. They're still good. Excellent hitboxes, survivability and speed. Good hardpoints. Good variety for different loadouts. Just a decent mech all around.

Why do you guys think they went out of favor? Just not popular or whats going on here?

#2 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 22 November 2022 - 04:52 PM

I saw 2 yesterday

#3 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 22 November 2022 - 04:54 PM

I see at least one near every game sometimes multiples? What I don't see much anymore are the triple erppc ones.

#4 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 05:04 PM

I never come across any. I literally haven't seen one in dozens of games. They used to be all over the place back in the ATM poptart days.

View PostMeep Meep, on 22 November 2022 - 04:54 PM, said:

I see at least one near every game sometimes multiples? What I don't see much anymore are the triple erppc ones.

Maybe you see me Posted Image ! Been running it a lot lately.

#5 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 22 November 2022 - 05:10 PM

Could be since the tier separation means you see the same pilots far more often sometimes several matches in a row though thats more common late night than during prime.

#6 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 05:16 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 22 November 2022 - 05:10 PM, said:

Could be since the tier separation means you see the same pilots far more often sometimes several matches in a row though thats more common late night than during prime.

I usually play EU time evenings/nights.

#7 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 06:04 PM

I see them all the time

#8 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 03:26 AM

View PostI LOVE ANNIHILATORS, on 22 November 2022 - 06:04 PM, said:

I see them all the time

I played several games against and with you yesterday in a Vapor Eagle Posted Image. So that was definitely me. I remember your name since...well it stands out.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 23 November 2022 - 03:29 AM.

#9 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 23 November 2022 - 10:39 AM

I saw the occasional 2 PPC Rival and 3 ER PPC VGL 1 etc builds when I was playing a few months back. I think the problem is not that it's super bad, but that many other 'Mechs have been buffed into relevance via the Cauldron's changes. With more choice comes more variety.

VGL does have its problems though, and the biggest two which go hand in hand are that weapon balancing has made slow gunboat Mediums susceptible to being pushed, and soup queue has demolished weight balancing, making gunboats even less appealing. Here are some more issues off the top of my head:

1. The mount locations - fine for missiles, but ballistics and energy always mount low first in torsos, so you can't easily poptart because you need to expose a huge part of the 'Mech. Or you can side peak with hip level arm guns, which also sucks.

2. Anything you can run on it you can basically run better on many other chassis. E.g. 2 PPC Black Lanner owns Rival, Crusader 6T outclasses the VGL 4s laser vomit, VGL 2 UAC vomit is fragile A/F.

3. It really isn't OK for a Medium to go relatively slow anymore these days, it is too easily pushed by red lasers and snubs, and many of the Vapor Eagle's previously meta builds dropped engine size for bigger guns. This is part of the 'gunboat' problem.

4. ATMs got wrekt.

Edited by RickySpanish, 23 November 2022 - 10:57 AM.

#10 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:21 PM

People just shifted awa y after the ATM nerf. The 2xUAC10 VGL-RI get's more airtime than most VGL builds now. Nothing happened to the LBX20 + 4xSRM6A build, but it just doesn't get played.

Linebackers dissapeared as well, as did the 2 or 3 ERPPC summoner.

#11 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 06:38 AM

Good points everyone. I suppose they're simply outdated, went out of style and what they used to do best is no longer meta or done better by others. However I still feel its one of the better chassis.

I run mine with 2xERPPC, 1xLB10X (I know... it seems like a goofy build). Runs at 90Kp/h and has enough jump jets for very decent poptarting. Its consistently one of my higher scoring mechs. It could just be that it suits my playstyle very well, but I just can't help but think its still a very good platform.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 24 November 2022 - 06:40 AM.

#12 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 12:10 PM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 22 November 2022 - 03:38 PM, said:

You never see Vapor Eagles anymore.

They never got nerfed. They're still good. Excellent hitboxes, survivability and speed. Good hardpoints. Good variety for different loadouts. Just a decent mech all around.

Why do you guys think they went out of favor? Just not popular or whats going on here?

They are not as popular as they used to be, but you can still see them in the game.

I saw a pair of VGL-1s in the game on Saturday - one on our side and the other one on the enemy side.
Posted Image

Or this VGL-A two weeks ago ...
Posted Image

You can even see the Hero "Rival" - a pair of them, actually. Posted Image
Posted Image

All Vapor Eagle variants are still being used, you just have not noticed them. Posted Image

View PostLouis Brofist, on 24 November 2022 - 06:38 AM, said:

Good points everyone. I suppose they're simply outdated, went out of style and what they used to do best is no longer meta or done better by others.

I would agree that they went out of style.

Also, with the exception of "Rival" (and this 'Mech must be bought directly for cash or for MCs), they have next to none quirks.

Also, when the 3/3/3/3 rule was enforced, the Vapor Eagle was a way of boosting your team's firepower. You used a medium 'Mech slot to deploy in a 'Mech that packed firepower not much worse than some heavy 'Mech.

But these days you do not have to do it anymore: You just deploy in a heavy 'Mech of your choice. The matchmaker does not care about the weight anymore (at least not much).

View PostLouis Brofist, on 24 November 2022 - 06:38 AM, said:

However I still feel its one of the better chassis.

It is still a solid 'Mech and you can still well use it, if you have fun in it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users