13 replies to this topic

#1 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:30 PM

I just played a match on Vitric Station and I got the notification that I had critical damage to my left torso. There was no sound for a weapons hit. Something that could have blown through almost all my armor in one shot should have made some kind of sound. There was NONE.

Does Vitric Station have an atmosphere? It might explain why sounds are muted on the map for me.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,229 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 11:24 PM

View Post1Exitar1, on 03 December 2022 - 09:30 PM, said:

I just played a match on Vitric Station and I got the notification that I had critical damage to my left torso. There was no sound for a weapons hit. Something that could have blown through almost all my armor in one shot should have made some kind of sound. There was NONE.

Does Vitric Station have an atmosphere? It might explain why sounds are muted on the map for me.

Probably some enemy ECM/Stealth Gauss Assault sniper. Or - if that damage came from your rear - one of your stupid lance mates.

#3 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 December 2022 - 06:19 AM

Lasers don't tend to make any sounds.

#4 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 04 December 2022 - 06:55 AM

There are some strange things going on lately. I experienced the same as the Op and other things.

On the other day I was hit on long range by a Clan AC. It hit my left torso - and it blew up completely (match had just started and my mech was undamaged)

At other times I was hit and no damage sound was played

#5 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 10:43 AM

It could have been, but I don't think they could have gotten behind me that early in the match. At least not a mech big enough to carry a full size gauss. It was fairly early in the match; we were just engaging the main force. Anything is possible, I guess.

As for lasers, yes they do make noise as they hit your mech. You should pay more attention, it just might save your mech.

Something else, If I were hit from behind, then the damage partially transferred to the front or it hit me from the front and did more damage to the rear. Either way, it didn't blow through all my armor, but it was close. I can't remember if I got any crits from the hit though.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,229 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 11:04 AM

View Post1Exitar1, on 04 December 2022 - 10:43 AM, said:

It could have been, but I don't think they could have gotten behind me that early in the match. At least not a mech big enough to carry a full size gauss. It was fairly early in the match; we were just engaging the main force. Anything is possible, I guess.

I was not there, but ...

Shadow Cat can be a pretty nimble (full set of jump jets) and fast 'Mech (97 km/h standard, 122 km/h with MASC). If you take the Prime configuration and swap Clan AP for the Clan ECM suite, you will get a fast, agile and stealthy Gauss platform. No visible laser beam when sniping, no PPC flash.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:03 PM

And... several mechs Rear armor can be hit from a frontal angle. Even if you are moving forward, twisting to look around can expose those areas. What mech was you piloting? We have had a few things when players questioned rear armor damage with no one behind them, but they had recorded the match and the mech being piloted could be damage from a high angle by someone ahead of their travel path when the players twisted their mechs.

This type of information is what is missing from the Hitbox Localization thread. I love that thread but with the weird mech geometry and how PGI utilize their hitbox locations lives lots to be desired. At least a 4th, possibly a 5th view from above would be helpful, to show there the front meets the rear. Atm, a player could hit the Rear Center Torso for many ( I believe it is almost all of them) by shooting in low fin front, low between the legs. One would need a good angle on it. Imho, CT should have never been extended to the groan area, wrapping from the from the front to the rear.

https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

Two extreme examples of the differences in the area between the legs. And at least one where that does not wrap around.

Raven vs Spider. Then review the Archer/Rifleman (rear legs) and the Awesome (frontal legs) where it appears the CT does not wrap around from front to rear.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 December 2022 - 12:28 PM.

#8 -K H A N

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 02:53 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 04 December 2022 - 06:55 AM, said:

There are some strange things going on lately. I experienced the same as the Op and other things.

On the other day I was hit on long range by a Clan AC. It hit my left torso - and it blew up completely (match had just started and my mech was undamaged)

At other times I was hit and no damage sound was played

I have had that happen to me in FP a few times. Also had zero heat and no ammo so... Maybe I somehow shot myself, I am bad enough to manage that I am sure.

#9 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 09:03 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 04 December 2022 - 12:03 PM, said:

And... several mechs Rear armor can be hit from a frontal angle. Even if you are moving forward, twisting to look around can expose those areas. What mech was you piloting? We have had a few things when players questioned rear armor damage with no one behind them, but they had recorded the match and the mech being piloted could be damage from a high angle by someone ahead of their travel path when the players twisted their mechs.

That is probably how it happened, I was torso twisting to look at another mech when I got hit. That part isn't what bothered me the most as it has happened numerous times. My main concern was the lack of sound of impact.

#10 Ilostmycactus

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 09:46 PM

Vitric doesn't have an atmosphere just like HPG, so it has quieter sounds.

Sometimes sounds don't play for hits. I'm guessing it's either tied to desync/lag, where the damage happens on a different moment in the server and so it doesn't play for you but then once the server syncs your playstate catches up and you take the damage, or a sound bug where multiple sounds playing can override each other. But these are just guesses.

#11 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:30 AM

I just had a match when I saw a scarecrow like 600m away. I saw it too late and it fired and I but moved backwards downhill to avoid some fire (canyon network). Then I saw that the last 2 ticks were registered on the back despite the scarecrow was in a line in front of me and even on lower ground

#12 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 12:38 PM

I had a 1 damage 2 assist match oncePosted Image

#13 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,849 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 06 December 2022 - 02:39 PM

View PostPocketYoda, on 04 December 2022 - 06:19 AM, said:

Lasers don't tend to make any sounds.

I abuse this like crazy when ecm backstabbing though there is a sound and its more like a slight hissing sound that is easily lost in the din of battle. If they are distracted by firing or taking hits you can often keep banging away until they die.

#14 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 07:07 PM

It happened a couple of more times today; no sound with weapon hit and armor damaged. I'm pretty sure it was laser fire that did it and it came from the front every time. They should fix this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users