- - - - -

Skill Nodes: Ecm Vs Radar Deprivation

5 replies to this topic

#1 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 08:20 AM

I don't leave the mechlab without 100% radar deprivation, and unless someone can convince me that's a bad I idea I never will (it's gonna take a LOT of convincing!)

But sometimes I also drop mechs with ECM.

I also max out the ECM skill nodes.

Is this redundant? Or is this complimentary?

Please help me understand this combination better.

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 08:58 AM

Radar derp does help if your ECM is countered and you get locked.

That's still enough of a less useful case that I would recommend against stacking the two.

#3 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 07:05 AM

View PostGagis, on 08 December 2022 - 08:58 AM, said:

Radar derp does help if your ECM is countered and you get locked.

That's still enough of a less useful case that I would recommend against stacking the two.

Thanks!

I suspected that was the case, but I wanted someone to confirm since there is a lot going on under the hood of this game that isn't so obvious.

Edited by Stab Wound, 09 December 2022 - 07:05 AM.

#4 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 December 2022 - 01:20 PM

also keep in mind that they are lowering the amount you get from the Radar Derp nodes in the upcoming Dec patch so you won't be able to get 100% radar derp anymore unless your mech has a Der quirk.

#5 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 December 2022 - 11:44 PM

View PostStab Wound, on 08 December 2022 - 08:20 AM, said:

I don't leave the mechlab without 100% radar deprivation, and unless someone can convince me that's a bad I idea I never will (it's gonna take a LOT of convincing!)

But sometimes I also drop mechs with ECM.

I also max out the ECM skill nodes.

Is this redundant? Or is this complimentary?

Please help me understand this combination better.

I don't usually max radar dep, but I do have at least one point in all 'mechs, including ECM. The reason is that you don't -need- full deprivation unless you're doing things like scouting in a non-ECM Light - but it's always nice to have more. So going full depends on my build and how many points I have.

But I -always- spend the two points to get at least one point, even with ECM: because the chirp and flash that tells you someone was just spotting you is very valuable information. Paradoxically, while having more nodes in Radar Deprivation is less valuable with ECM, that first node is more arguably more important for scouting, since it notifies you that you were not, however briefly, invisible.

The changes to Radar Deprivation are trivial for most purposes. If normal target decay is 2 seconds, you're looking at 0.22 seconds of decay time for full Target Decay v. full Radar Deprivation skill nodes. It's intended as a quality-of-life buff to lock-on weapons, so that you don't automatically have to lock on again if the enemy 'mech runs behind a rock for 1/10th of a second.

Edited by Void Angel, 11 December 2022 - 11:45 PM.

#6 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 12:37 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 11 December 2022 - 11:44 PM, said:

I don't usually max radar dep, but I do have at least one point in all 'mechs, including ECM. The reason is that you don't -need- full deprivation unless you're doing things like scouting in a non-ECM Light - but it's always nice to have more. So going full depends on my build and how many points I have.

But I -always- spend the two points to get at least one point, even with ECM: because the chirp and flash that tells you someone was just spotting you is very valuable information. Paradoxically, while having more nodes in Radar Deprivation is less valuable with ECM, that first node is more arguably more important for scouting, since it notifies you that you were not, however briefly, invisible.

The changes to Radar Deprivation are trivial for most purposes. If normal target decay is 2 seconds, you're looking at 0.22 seconds of decay time for full Target Decay v. full Radar Deprivation skill nodes. It's intended as a quality-of-life buff to lock-on weapons, so that you don't automatically have to lock on again if the enemy 'mech runs behind a rock for 1/10th of a second.

I'm ok with the deprivation nerf. I rarely use LRMS, they just seem like such a crutch of a weapon. Please don't come at me too hard it's just an opinion of my experience with using it. I'd rather look my enemy in the face as I melt their mech! Posted Image

As one of the poor b@stards that gets rained on by them a lot in my Dire Wolves I've developed a Pavlovian response to breaking the lock asap!

Since it got easier to get to 100% deprivation (now less) it's my favorite skill node!

Edited by Stab Wound, 12 December 2022 - 12:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users