- - - - -

Is There A Moment Of 'grace' When An Enemy Dies In Front Of You That You Can't Shoot Through Them?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Chupa_Cabra

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 01:28 PM

I'm rounding a rock in caustic, an enemy red is rounding the opposite way right into my guns, but a blue friendly is right behind him.
Enemy red is cored front and back the next shot kills him.
Enemy red is sandwiched between two blue friendlies.
I alpha the front, blue friendly alphas the back.
Enemy red dies.
Only one of us gets the kill.
Does one of our alphas travel thru the enemy into the friendly, or does the weapon fire have no affect because there's a tiny "grace" period where no more damage travels through enemy red?

Edited by Chupa_Cabra, 12 May 2023 - 01:36 PM.

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 May 2023 - 05:57 AM

I don't think there's a completely certain answer here, but in my experience, dead mechs can register as solid for hit detection, but I've also seen where a friendly accidently TK's a teammate because they're on opposite sides. The million dollar questions I think are how the hitbox of the dead mech moves as the hulk collapses and the exact timeline of weapons fire and distance. And I've heard that falling objects are "non-deterministic" in CryEngine--this is certainly true for trees (that's when PGI mentioned it)--but I don't know how true it is for mechs. Non-deterministic means the mech ragdoll would move in a way that is rendered on each client computer based on physics and is not server authoritative. But I am not sure how that is handled at all.

There's no "grace" period mechanic or anything like that. It's entirely possible to TK a teammate in a scenario like this. But if it is the last mech and the match immediately ends (Skirmish), all damage is stopped. It's also possible that some of your damage is registered against the live target before the actual kill damage happens so not all of your alpha might go through. And in the case of PSR and lag, it might also be possible, if you have a higher ping than your ally, that your damage is retroactively applied to the enemy mech milliseconds before their shot dealt the killing blow, and it would just all be applied to the enemy mech, but I'm speculating quite a bit on technical questions I really can't answer. Good question!

#3 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,619 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 May 2023 - 06:14 PM

Fun fact, you can still blow yourself up with airstrikes, overheating, ammunition explosions, or out of bounds while looking at the match screen, but the damage or death will not count.

Edited by Void Angel, 13 May 2023 - 06:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users