Picked This Up On Sale - Why

4 replies to this topic

#1 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 06:10 AM

... why didn't they put half or a third of the effort they put into that game into this one? They could still have their cash cow populated.

The gameplay has weight, this game has evolved into an arcade mode version of itself over the years.

At least in vanilla - uses the sized hardpoint system that this one should have used to retain/force a semblance of balance.

"Skill points" appear to take up crit slots - can you imagine having designed a way to at least try to balance the skill tree system out so it wasn't a massive advantage over newer players or players running new mechs?

Actual map variety. This game is what 10 years deep and has something like 10 or 12 maps?
I get that cryengine probably isn't great for procedural maps, but they could have made dozens of maps with less minute details and sized for different player drops or modes. Shouldn't have spent a year or better playing 12v12 on maps that were already too small for 8v8.

Not super far into but the missions at least have some as well (different structural targets, defends, find and eliminate - so many ways it could have been implemented in pvp even with 12v12). IMO this could have saved FP and probably most of their population loss. -You can see some semblances of it in MWO, they just never spent any time fleshing the systems out and forcing the game away from deathball central.

Multi drop missions - seriously this would have completely made FP, especially if there were limited/no repairs between drops.

Repairs/refits - if only they didn't go arcade mode, this actually helped to balance out drops and at least pre-ecm did a lot to mitigate the constant rain. Could re-implement this and just bump up the rewards, especially the secondary ones.

I'm not even all that deep into the game, but the fact that its more mech sim than mech arcade makes it hard to want to drop into MWO again. The ai is dumb, but I already knew PGI wasn't good at writing ai - at least they figured out how to not make everything hit 100% ct this time.

It's also super nice to see preparing for launch and not sitting in a queue they should totally drop MWO's drop count to accommodate the low player base they've gotten it down to. The number 2 or 3 problem I have with MWO is waiting for QP drops, its just foolish to be sitting in queue for 4-5 minutes.

They actually did a fairly decent job with MW5, I'm honestly quite surprised they managed to produce a complete game to the extent they did. Do wish they had the wherewithal to have put some of that effort into MWO, but it does appear they've gotten their assets over to the new engine so maybe they'll surprise us and make a sequel.

#2 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:00 AM

(Edited for removal of quote. Didn't need that)

Instead of nitpicking you should play it and have fun Posted Image

Edited by SomersetStriker, 11 January 2023 - 08:01 AM.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:02 PM

i think he is making comparisons between mw5 and mwo. latest dev vlog it has stirred up significant discussions about the future of the mechwarrior franchise, especially future games. while the outlook may not be positive in the long run its still worth thinking about. pvp in mw5 would be awesome.

#4 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:45 AM

Well, i like the Idea of PVP-Invasions into PVE-Misisons like in Elden Ring.
The Tools are all there - let the invading Dropship make planetfall - open the Gates of the lost Fortress.

If done right it would be utterly cool and exciting!

#5 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:29 PM

Yep, imo with only maybe a few things like having some pretty useless mechs in vanilla, the sized hardpoint concept has some room for a layer of balance in pvp.

IMO this franchise works far better as a pvp game - basically single player is a pvp match, just with ai piloted mechs instead of human. It's not like they went out and designed a completely different game there, they just added modes, salvage, and campaigns to the same design they already had.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users