141 replies to this topic

#41 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 January 2023 - 12:37 PM

I'll say just dump the timeline restriction and add weapons/equipment as they make sense. Add all the clan/IS equivalents like clan racs & MMLs

Bombast Laser, XXL laser with charge up. Maybe it's own color
Binary Laser, XL laser with appropriate heat, etc.
Plasma rifles, PPC with ammo
Rifles, Lacs

Equipment
XXL, compact engines
Heavy ferro
Modular armor

#42 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:18 PM

Yeah I think chem lasers and rifles from MW5 have a place here. Light mechs need lighter ballistic options besides MGs. I'm not familiar with any of the other weapons except x-pulse lasers and the Thunderbolt.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 20 January 2023 - 07:19 PM.

#43 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:42 PM

View PostConner Ward, on 19 January 2023 - 03:44 PM, said:

They just need to make Gauss work like they do in MW5, where it has a long reload time, but fires instantly.

Also with iirc a significantly shorter ideal range.

I just ignored guass until that last mech you get figuring they'd have kept the stupid charge mechanic, they way they implemented it there was pretty nice and felt more or less balanced against the cannons, and much more friendly on the ears. - main reason I use LBX in this game over any of the cannons, there is way too much peak amplitude in the cannon sound, and its absurd if you have multiples of any of them. The clan ones are better, but they tick and you spread damage like an lbx most of the time anyhow.

Edited by sycocys, 20 January 2023 - 07:45 PM.

#44 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 January 2023 - 06:43 PM

Gauss has a charge up because all of you lunatics screamed bloody murder in 2013 that gauss and PPC were "too good together".

Jumpjets suck for the same reason. Paul Inouye isn't a good designer he is a reactive one, and when you blew up his messages with bitching about dying to double PPC gauss jumpsnipers he just nerfed them to oblivion to placate you.

#45 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 10:52 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 21 January 2023 - 06:43 PM, said:

Gauss has a charge up because all of you lunatics screamed bloody murder in 2013 that gauss and PPC were "too good together".

Jumpjets suck for the same reason. Paul Inouye isn't a good designer he is a reactive one, and when you blew up his messages with bitching about dying to double PPC gauss jumpsnipers he just nerfed them to oblivion to placate you.

I'm pretty sure I just mostly asked for R&R to be reinstated and the values of some weapons to be increased some when destroyed. But guass probably should have/still be adjusted and the charge dropped back off, would make way more sense for modules and energy heavy weapons to just have base heat or reduced heat cap.

Both are better ways to deal with balancing the variety of systems than what they did. R&R was good, people played different mechs and the weights cycled way better while people went from their high cost - high alpha type builds to efficient cheap builds to fill their bank back up.

#46 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 22 January 2023 - 01:53 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 16 January 2023 - 08:44 AM, said:

yes, that would be the cauldron.

Splendid. Then we get even more snipe or shoot-across-the-whole-map crap which promotes setting up trenches in space Verdun with original whack-a-mole feeling. Jipiiii

#47 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 02:19 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 22 January 2023 - 01:53 AM, said:

Splendid. Then we get even more snipe or shoot-across-the-whole-map crap which promotes setting up trenches in space Verdun with original whack-a-mole feeling. Jipiiii

camp sucks but you don't have to feed it.

#48 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 02:23 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 January 2023 - 02:19 AM, said:

camp sucks but you don't have to feed it.

True but I have been in a couple of matches where both sides didn't move because both teams had plenty of snipers. And these matches were as interesting as watching paint dry - especially when you are in a mech with close range weaponry. When you play a match full of T1 players and the first thing you read is: move to XY and stay there...then you know that this will be most likely a super hyper interesting match...well, at least for space whack-a-mole fans.

Point is: the Cauldron took the advantages of long-range weapons too far and most maps support that style as well...seeing Dire ERLL turrets etc makes me cringe.

Edited by Weeny Machine, 22 January 2023 - 02:29 AM.

#49 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 January 2023 - 07:26 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 16 January 2023 - 07:10 AM, said:

rifle as implemented in mw5 was awesome.

Yeah super heavy and slow but did massive damage.

#50 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 10:06 AM

View PostPocketYoda, on 22 January 2023 - 07:26 AM, said:

Yeah super heavy and slow but did massive damage.

Lighter, but much longer reloads than their damage counterparts, at least in the vanilla version. Made it so the lights/mediums could actually equip some ballistics with a bit of punch the longer reloads work pretty well with them having good mobility to disengage and reset.

Would work well here, might get abused by heavier mechs but the long reloads keep them from being as effective if they don't also have a pile of vomit to run as well.

#51 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 12:25 PM

it also has an inverted (read normal) range to caliber relationship. big gun go far.

#52 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 12:43 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 22 January 2023 - 02:23 AM, said:

True but I have been in a couple of matches where both sides didn't move because both teams had plenty of snipers. And these matches were as interesting as watching paint dry - especially when you are in a mech with close range weaponry. When you play a match full of T1 players and the first thing you read is: move to XY and stay there...then you know that this will be most likely a super hyper interesting match...well, at least for space whack-a-mole fans.

Point is: the Cauldron took the advantages of long-range weapons too far and most maps support that style as well...seeing Dire ERLL turrets etc makes me cringe.

i generally do not like attrition play. but snipers never really bother me, just rally a wolfpack and some brawlers. maps are the bigger issue, because i really think they should limit the no mech land or always provide a protected approach even if its out of the way. hell just spam tunnel networks everywhere.

still think er lasers need a short range nerf. 50% damage ramping up to maximum at somewhere between 1/3 to 2/3 optimal (further out for longer ranged lasers). above that range they perform normally as expected, but become more vulnerable closer in. its not a hard minimum as you still get at least half as a minimum, but it does encourage proper distancing. right now i have no problem entering a brawl with erlls, especially when i can still melt face. i think that needs to change.

#53 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 09:45 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 22 January 2023 - 01:53 AM, said:

The coming patch has some goodies for up-close ballistics and a quirk pass that weakens a bunch of Clan energy boat stuff, for what it's worth.

#54 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 22 January 2023 - 10:26 PM

LordNothing said:

1674420192[/url]' post='6486392']

i generally do not like attrition play. but snipers never really bother me, just rally a wolfpack and some brawlers. maps are the bigger issue, because i really think they should limit the no mech land or always provide a protected approach even if its out of the way. hell just spam tunnel networks everywhere.

still think er lasers need a short range nerf. 50% damage ramping up to maximum at somewhere between 1/3 to 2/3 optimal (further out for longer ranged lasers). above that range they perform normally as expected, but become more vulnerable closer in. its not a hard minimum as you still get at least half as a minimum, but it does encourage proper distancing. right now i have no problem entering a brawl with erlls, especially when i can still melt face. i think that needs to change.

I wonder if an increased cooldown time would be more effective than a range nerf.
Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 23 January 2023 - 04:51 AM.

#55 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 11:00 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 22 January 2023 - 10:26 PM, said:

I wonder if an increased cooldown time would be more effective that a range nerf.
Good hunting,
CFC Conky

that would just bury the weapon and force everyone to use erppcs or ac2s instead.

#56 Lord Cannon Fodder

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 01:44 AM

Gauss weapons used to be fired without the stupid charging mechanics. Until the designers lost their balls and include it. Why and what is the point? There are mechs that fire more alpha damage mix than just 2 + gauss rifles. I never used gauss rifles since this stupid feature and sold them off.

Of course, my comments will be ignored. MWOnline is a great game, saved for the stupid pointless charging mechanic of gauss rifles truly ruined it.

#57 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 03:37 AM

View PostLord Cannon Fodder, on 23 January 2023 - 01:44 AM, said:

Gauss weapons used to be fired without the stupid charging mechanics. Until the designers lost their balls and include it. Why and what is the point? There are mechs that fire more alpha damage mix than just 2 + gauss rifles. I never used gauss rifles since this stupid feature and sold them off.

Of course, my comments will be ignored. MWOnline is a great game, saved for the stupid pointless charging mechanic of gauss rifles truly ruined it.

i actually agree on this front. 30 damage used to be the benchmark of acceptable alpha, but there are so many mechs that can easily dump 3 times that much without shutting you down or cooking you off.

i feel the same way about brrrt spinup. i dont think it does anything but make the weapons unusable. middle skill players waiting for locks or things to spin up just feeds the meta players.

of course i also have a problem with double tap as well. all this button-fu really screws with the proper use of weapon groupings and fire control. i expect to see these things in cartoony shooters, not a mech sim.

#58 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 23 January 2023 - 03:48 AM

I'm not for the charge on Gauss being removed. Yeah, it does mean i use them a great deal less than i otherwise would because im not very good with the charge mechanic but, unless they are given an obvious visual effect to backtrace the firing mech (think quake 2 railguns), they are just too good as sniper weapons if they are point and click. Increasing the cooldown is irrelevant to snipers, unless its to an insane amount.

There are already too many 'troll builds' using stealth armour and gauss rifles to be annoying hard to locate snipers, make Gauss easier to use and they will multiply. (I call them troll builds because the DPS on Gauss is so low they practically never make decent match score, so they seem designed to annoy others rather than succeed themselves).

#59 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 07:27 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 January 2023 - 11:00 PM, said:

that would just bury the weapon and force everyone to use erppcs or ac2s instead.

That wouldn't be that bad. Some people will discover that it is a difference between pointing (and holding) something on a target or have a projectile with velocity which does zero damage when you miss

Btw, I like your idea to reduce close up damage on ERLL

View Postfoamyesque, on 22 January 2023 - 09:45 PM, said:

The coming patch has some goodies for up-close ballistics and a quirk pass that weakens a bunch of Clan energy boat stuff, for what it's worth.

I have to check that out when the patch notes are out (or perhaps they already are). I am really curious.

Edited by Weeny Machine, 23 January 2023 - 07:30 AM.

#60 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 705 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 10:18 AM

Im up for anything that contribute to variety and options in terms of tactics. My experience with mechwarrior weapons comes from classics like MW4M amd Mektek standalone mod which added lots of weapons, like arrow missile, X pulse lasers, plasma weapons, light ultracannons, inferno missiles, etc. Some of them might feel a little redundant but that's a matter of opinions, they are all worth consideration imo

90 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 90 guests, 0 anonymous users