When You Can Not Even Trust A Samsung Ssd...evo 870 Issues.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:29 AM

I was not aware of it until i accidentally read a forum post elswhere but it seems the EVO 870 may have an issue and mine may have it aswell - drive corruption and unrecoverable errors:
Samsung 870 Evo Dies, Major Issue 2TB & 4TB To Be Aware Of, Be Careful People!! - YouTube

#2 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 06:36 AM

Wow, it seems no bad news comes alone:
Samsung's 990 Pro NVME is DESTROYING Itself? - YouTube

#3 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 08 February 2023 - 12:57 AM

My 860 evo are doing fine so far along with my 970 evo plus and they get constant writes. Hopefully this is a bad batch type of failure and not endemic as I have a lot of data stored on them that isn't easily backed up.

#4 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 08 February 2023 - 05:36 AM

Bad thing about ssds, when they toast there's little opportunity for recovery.

#5 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 08 February 2023 - 03:51 PM

Thats why I have a nas array with seagate nas hdd to drop critical data backups on though thankfully the most critical data fits on a few thumb drives. Yeah they won't last as long as a quality ssd over time with everyday use(provided you don't get a bad unit as samsung is showing) but as a static storage medium that powers down when not in use they can last for decades. I still have old seagate scsi drives from the 90's in a drawer that will spin up and work though sometimes you might have to gently shake them to loosen up the drive as they get stiff with age and use.

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 09:32 AM

I have no critical data to store but my game files from gog so i decided to use an external HD via USB.
It was also cheaper be a huge amount than an equal SSD but for sure its quite a bit slower.

So far the latest firmware update i got recently for my EVO 870 seem to have stopped the errors so far.

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 03:36 PM

Follow Up:

Samsung SSDs Dying! 980 Pro, 990, 970 EVO PLUS, PM9A1 Fails - Everything We Know So Far!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users