Something I Miss

11 replies to this topic

#1 PsionicMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 09:20 AM

One thing I missed from my earlier days of playing was the dynamic time. I miss fighting it out in River City from midday all the way into the night, making Night-vision more of a tool. I know it was removed to help performance, but i always found it as a nice touch to the environment.

Anything anyone else misses?

https://imgur.com/gallery/OvXrqoT

Edited by PsionicMantis, 15 February 2023 - 09:27 AM.

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 February 2023 - 09:48 AM

I honestly don't miss it. It sounds cool but doesn't really add anything to the gameplay and hurts it more than not. I'd be down for a random time of day mechanic on any map though. Probably not technically possible, but I'd support the idea, along with different weather effects. Don't want to see more than ~15% of matches at night or in extreme weather though.

#3 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 15 February 2023 - 01:15 PM

35 ton lights being small and not out classes by a mech 15 tons lighter.

#4 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 03:29 PM

Bowling.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,819 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 02:03 PM

i think with dynamic weather what they should have done is randomize it for the match but keep it constant. that would save you from having to re-draw the g buffer periodically, for those who haven't upgraded since before the game launched.

#6 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,776 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 February 2023 - 04:26 PM

View PostThreeStooges, on 15 February 2023 - 01:15 PM, said:

35 ton lights being small and not out classes by a mech 15 tons lighter.

They murdered the jenner with the resize. Yeah I get that it was ~too~ small but now its ~too~ large.

#7 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 05:11 PM

Some kind of time of day and weather variability would be nice. Even if static within a match, it could be used.to change up visibility and even heat. The battletech pods had preselected time of day and switchable headlights back in the 1990s... mind you, they also had free-for-all as an option.

#8 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:12 PM

It's so weird how PGI invests resources developing something that doesn't work, and then throws it away completely instead of doing the simple fixes.

Time of day is a good example. So dynamically changing it during a match felt super weird and didn't work, but why not just make each match occur at a random time of day that is fixed for that match? Why throw the whole investment out?

Solaris too, like nah let's just bin it instead of using the parts that work for events and stuff. There is literally a "solaris" event right now and while it does use a solaris map it doesn't use any of the other stuff like Duncans voicelines or showing the contestants etc.

Faction Play has issues? Fix them? Nah, just strip away more and more features and bin all that work...

#9 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,776 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 February 2023 - 07:13 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 16 February 2023 - 06:12 PM, said:

It's so weird how PGI invests resources developing something that doesn't work, and then throws it away completely instead of doing the simple fixes.

Time of day is a good example. So dynamically changing it during a match felt super weird and didn't work, but why not just make each match occur at a random time of day that is fixed for that match? Why throw the whole investment out?

Solaris too, like nah let's just bin it instead of using the parts that work for events and stuff. There is literally a "solaris" event right now and while it does use a solaris map it doesn't use any of the other stuff like Duncans voicelines or showing the contestants etc.

Faction Play has issues? Fix them? Nah, just strip away more and more features and bin all that work...

Well to be fair the only reason we are getting new maps and events is because they are recycling old content. Every new map so far has either morphed an existing map like emerald vale or taken assets from other maps to build a new one like vitric forge. I was harping about doing this years ago when development started to stagnate as a way to cheaply make new content. Take what we can get at this point.

#10 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:34 PM

Static versions of different times of day would be nice and should've been the obvious compromise.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,819 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:55 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 16 February 2023 - 06:12 PM, said:

pgi has had this problem for awhile now. they accrete features and then if they dont work out they are scrapped or replaced. never refined. solaris i think would have worked better if they had a 4v4 and also had a match maker that enabled solos to play the 2v2 and 4v4 modes. or they could have reworked the divisions to make sense and reduced the number of buckets. instead it just sat there and rotted.

of course that said they repeatedly tried to refine fp and made it worse every time. something that should have been an essential starting feature instead became its last coffin nail.

#12 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 01:49 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 February 2023 - 12:55 PM, said:

pgi has had this problem for awhile now. they accrete features and then if they dont work out they are scrapped or replaced. never refined. solaris i think would have worked better if they had a 4v4 and also had a match maker that enabled solos to play the 2v2 and 4v4 modes. or they could have reworked the divisions to make sense and reduced the number of buckets. instead it just sat there and rotted.

Solaris would have worked better if it was a one week a month or every other month event - not some ridiculous attempt to rebrand the game because they couldn't be bothered to make a functional campaign warfare mode.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users