Social Gameplay General

95 replies to this topic

#61 Risen Trash

• PipPipPip
  • The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 12:23 AM

I had a great PUG run one night where it was me against three on River City, and I guess those last three were beat up and hit reg was "on" for once, because I one-shotted each of them in succession. As pointed out above, not so unusual with a duel gauss build, still a pretty impressive moment for the likes of me. Someone said it "looked suss" to them.

I told them that you haven't played a good game of Mechwarrior Online until you've been accused of cheating, so I guess I made it, thanks.

People say you need to keep footage to "prove you're innocent." Tell them to piss off and report you. PGI will look at the data from the match and if you weren't cheating, you weren't cheating. The end.

#62 Tromoskyon Rex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 19 July 2023 - 06:54 PM

View PostRisen Trash, on 19 July 2023 - 12:23 AM, said:

I had a great PUG run one night where it was me against three on River City, and I guess those last three were beat up and hit reg was "on" for once, because I one-shotted each of them in succession. As pointed out above, not so unusual with a duel gauss build, still a pretty impressive moment for the likes of me. Someone said it "looked suss" to them.

I told them that you haven't played a good game of Mechwarrior Online until you've been accused of cheating, so I guess I made it, thanks.

People say you need to keep footage to "prove you're innocent." Tell them to piss off and report you. PGI will look at the data from the match and if you weren't cheating, you weren't cheating. The end.

NICE! Getting more than one always feels so good. DHG can be Brutal if you're in range to get that sweet 42 damage. Even better if they have stripped armor.

#63 Risen Trash

• PipPipPip
  • The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 09:12 PM

View PostRazgriz_, on 19 July 2023 - 06:54 PM, said:

NICE! Getting more than one always feels so good. DHG can be Brutal if you're in range to get that sweet 42 damage. Even better if they have stripped armor.

Thanks! All together I didn't even have that great a game. I was positioning poorly most of the match and don't think I even broke 300 dmg. But it's really cool when that sort of thing happens at the end, with "all eyes on you," you know? Usually, I'm the type that totally chokes under that kind of pressure.

#64 Fookerton

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 10:08 PM

The burden of evidence is obviously on the accusers. You coming here with it is just a humble brag (and apparently a circle jerk judging by some of the responses here).

IMO, it's a stupid game mechanic, particularly in a game where accuracy isn't supposed to be valued as much as positioning, management of resources, and teamwork. The handful times I've gotten a headshot, I never felt particularly good about it skill-wise. Mostly I felt bad for the person on the receiving end because it seemed like a completely arbitrary decision by the game engine. Also the handful of times it's happened to me, I just felt resigned, never "what should I have done different".

The penalty for staring someone down is already there: your components get focused and you are crippled or die.

#65 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 July 2023 - 03:54 AM

View PostWurdsNurds, on 18 July 2023 - 10:53 PM, said:

You don't see those replies with obvious mocking of my Username and how I chose to spell it? That's Hate, Sir.
It's not hate, you just have a weird persecution complex.

#66 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 04:51 AM

View PostHorseman, on 20 July 2023 - 03:54 AM, said:

It's not hate, you just have a weird persecution complex.

No, I do think weird fixation on usernames by other players is not conducive to anything positive. That's in a vacuum, whether Wurds' situation has extenuating circumstances I neither know nor particularly care.

#67 Tromoskyon Rex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 20 July 2023 - 08:46 AM

View PostFookerton, on 19 July 2023 - 10:08 PM, said:

IMO, it's a stupid game mechanic, particularly in a game where accuracy isn't supposed to be valued as much as positioning, management of resources, and teamwork.

The whole point of components being a thing is because accuracy is massively important. If it wasn't supposed to be at the very least as important as those other points then it wouldn't matter where you hit anyone...

#68 Risen Trash

• PipPipPip
  • The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 09:09 AM

View PostRazgriz_, on 20 July 2023 - 08:46 AM, said:

The whole point of components being a thing is because accuracy is massively important. If it wasn't supposed to be at the very least as important as those other points then it wouldn't matter where you hit anyone...

So true. A breakthrough moment for me, and I think for most players that stick with the game, came when I stopped aiming at mechs and started aiming at their components.

#69 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 04:36 PM

It's not difficult to tell when someone is using things like aimbot and such. Just watch their arms, when they snap to your location no matter how you juke or bounce around and their arms follow every little movement, especially the 'bounce' when your mech walks. Obviously you can't report for that but it's something to watch for and to avoid.

Be sure to watch TTB and Scout Derek's videos where they point out people using an aimbot and what to look for while you're spectating. Absolutely be sure to report them for it and if you record your games, send an email with it into PGI. Cheating is not super prevalent in MWO but it DOES happen and it has no place here.

Seriously if your life is that sad where you have to cheat at MWO you need therapy and friends.

#70 Fookerton

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 08:27 AM

View PostRazgriz_, on 20 July 2023 - 08:46 AM, said:

The whole point of components being a thing is because accuracy is massively important.

I agree, and it's why most of the time when you're talking about how durable a certain chassis is or isn't, it's almost always going to involve how easily its hitboxes are isolated.

If it wasn't supposed to be at the very least as important as those other points then it wouldn't matter where you hit anyone...

That's a leap of logic there, especially considering how wonky the hitreg can be in this game and the longer ttk. Of course you target specific components and of course it matters where you hit, but the ability to even fire and continue firing at a target is more important than the former. imo, i guess

So yea, gunning for headshots when the opportunity presents itself, have at it. But if you do that exclusively, you're more likely to be a liability than not.

#71 Rabid Imp

• PipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 08:07 PM

View PostFookerton, on 22 July 2023 - 08:27 AM, said:

That's a leap of logic there, especially considering how wonky the hitreg can be in this game and the longer ttk. Of course you target specific components and of course it matters where you hit, but the ability to even fire and continue firing at a target is more important than the former. imo, i guess

So yea, gunning for headshots when the opportunity presents itself, have at it. But if you do that exclusively, you're more likely to be a liability than not.

Sure you can get 1k damage and zero kills for example. The question is how much of that damage was actually helpful. Damage for damage could or could not be helpful. Headshots are a prime example of that. I headshotted a spider the other day at 800m (amazing 3x HPPC shot), but only turned his structure red, and was worthless; he died last, had I just aimed center mass or for his legs it would have been much more beneficial to my team than the HS. I did damage but it wasn't meaningful damage other than to look at on the scoreboard and feel cool that I hit the cockpit of a spider at 800m.

If I spray blue lasers all over 12 mechs chances are my damage will be high, but in reality I'm not actually helping that much except in terms of possible suppression. A meaningful shot that takes out a hellbringer's right shoulder is worth much more that pray and spray on multiple mechs.

#72 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 24 July 2023 - 02:18 PM

Almost all of my headshots in the last week I started playing again were on assault mechs moving 1kph, catapults, or overheated players who had like 1 head armor who shut down.

I have been hit in the head, but yet to have been actually headshot myself.

What are people doing that they are allowing themselves to get headshot? Staring contest with a dual gauss setup?

#73 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 04:01 PM

View Post80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie, on 24 July 2023 - 02:18 PM, said:

What are people doing that they are allowing themselves to get headshot? Staring contest with a dual gauss setup?

Or they don't have override on.

For reals most of my headshots are pure luck shooting mechs that have their cockpit in center mass like catapults, dires, timbies and so on. And about same stuff for me getting headshotted in motion with pure luck...

once upon a time someone headshotted my jenner while running around him with full speed with singe AC10, but as usual I strip light mechs head armor because headshots are so super rare... it managed to detonate my SRM ammo in there and kill me Posted Image

#74 Rabid Imp

• PipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 06:04 PM

Almost all of my headshots in the last week I started playing again were on assault mechs moving 1kph, catapults, or overheated players who had like 1 head armor who shut down.

I have been hit in the head, but yet to have been actually headshot myself.

Usually it's a staring contest. My best is 5 in 1 game. Of those 5, at least 3 were standing perfectly still shooting. One was even about 500+m out and stone cold completely stopped to shoot his ERMLs at me...

With my Viper its usually them overheating and shutting down. A few will actually think you cannot kill them, stop shooting, and then just stop moving (why?) since their heat is at 90%. As soon as they stand still cockpit shot...

What I have discovered is people don't accuse you of cheating when you overheat them with flamers unlike when you just shoot them at 500m...

Edited by Rabid Imp, 25 July 2023 - 06:08 PM.

#75 Risen Trash

• PipPipPip
  • The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 06:12 PM

I got someone like this at the beginning of a match last night. Huntsman, I think. I was on the move, charged up and snapped at his CT. Then my horn went off!

Put armor on your head.

Edited to add that I saw you twice: once as a teen on your "Glass Spider" tour, then a few years later when you toured with NIN. You were amazing and I miss you.

Edited by Risen Trash, 25 July 2023 - 06:15 PM.

#76 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 09:39 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 July 2023 - 11:01 PM, said:

people make fun of my name all the time. have a bad game, "what do you expect from nothing". the difference is i dont start whining about it and accusing everyone of being a hate monger. the fact that they found some bemusement from my name simply means that i picked the right one.

**** their bemusement. Nothing was ever accomplished by taking **** from people. School bullies didn't magically become your friend when you tolerated their ******* ****, you caught them off campus and hit them with a sock full of marbles until they ******* cried for their mothers and flinched every time they saw you. Same principle applies everywhere else.

Edited by the check engine light, 25 July 2023 - 09:43 PM.

#77 Tromoskyon Rex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 25 July 2023 - 10:23 PM

Like you would not believe lmao. People usually don't go for them so if you know where to shoot and someone doesn't realize that even the slightest movement makes it nearly impossible it is very easy.

Just now against a Gausszilla at 1000m

https://www.reddit.c...myz7/?context=3

4 in one game a bit ago

My scrapbook of 86 of all 107 mechs (at the time)

https://www.reddit.c...crapbook_86107/

Edited by Razgriz_, 25 July 2023 - 10:48 PM.

#78 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 10:50 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 25 July 2023 - 09:39 PM, said:

**** their bemusement. Nothing was ever accomplished by taking **** from people. School bullies didn't magically become your friend when you tolerated their ******* ****, you caught them off campus and hit them with a sock full of marbles until they ******* cried for their mothers and flinched every time they saw you. Same principle applies everywhere else.

that's the way you delt with it in ye olden days of yore. its a different matter when you never even set foot in the same town let alone the same state. when the person is text on a screen there is not really that much you can do about it. you can send your rebuttal or ignore it, and most of the time its not worth my time to even consider one or the other. whether or not it was that person's intent to bully you or not, if you whine about it, the bullies will take notice and flock to you. they get off on the power trip of dominating someone and shrivel up and die inside when they are ignored. the type of person who is a bully is a deeply narcissistic sociopath and the worst thing you can do to a narcissist is ignore them. the irony is that many of the victims also have this trait.

Edited by LordNothing, 25 July 2023 - 10:50 PM.

#79 -K H A N

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 July 2023 - 12:21 AM

View PostRazgriz_, on 25 July 2023 - 10:23 PM, said:

Like you would not believe lmao. People usually don't go for them so if you know where to shoot and someone doesn't realize that even the slightest movement makes it nearly impossible it is very easy.

Just now against a Gausszilla at 1000m

https://www.reddit.c...myz7/?context=3

4 in one game a bit ago

My scrapbook of 86 of all 107 mechs (at the time)

https://www.reddit.c...crapbook_86107/

Real nice reticle.Decay used that same one aswell.

#80 R0gal D0rn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • Leutnant-General
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 July 2023 - 01:48 AM

Some builds are more prone than other to make easy headshots. The easy mode is a 2 gauss, 2 LPL 4 cml Deathstrike... This baby has pinpoint, range and brute power enough to headshot even with imperfect aim... And armor enough to trade in a face to face with the big guys. Night vision is a good tool too to better identify cockpits... When i´, ion other mechs i tend to aim the center mass or the damaged components. Driving a Deathstrike i always try to aim cockpit. It worths...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users