9 replies to this topic

#1 Carimm Wolf

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNorth West Indiana

Posted 07 May 2023 - 01:45 PM

So ive been back now for a month or so and ive noticed a lack in... well everything. I do not see units dropping together often in MM or Faction, 0 replies on my recruitment post, and sooooo many of my old friends just not replying when I see them online. It is very sad to see and I wonder what happened to the communities that were so big in the past. I see lots of people playing still but no community and what coms I do have ingame are usually pretty positive, so what happened?

Can we breath new life into the touman?
Can we get a good community working together again?
Am I just lost and not seeing what is really happening?
Do you have active groups meeting up someplace that is not easy to find?

Let me know what you think and who would be willing to join a new community if one stood up? I do have experience with this in other games and would be willing to again if there is a good number of you that are interested. Thank you - Star Captain Carimm Wolf

#2 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 07 May 2023 - 02:31 PM

I was in CWI fo awhile before they all just seemed to fade away... No idea what happend

Edited by KursedVixen, 07 May 2023 - 02:31 PM.

#3 Carimm Wolf

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNorth West Indiana

Posted 07 May 2023 - 03:08 PM

I remember you KursedVixen. I was either in EK or WTau at the time tho. Sad. I want to help reform a good CW community.

#4 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:58 AM

Hey if you think you can rally folks back, more power to you. <3

#5 Freki Wulf

Rookie

• Pack Leader
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern PA

Posted 28 June 2023 - 08:30 PM

The Touman lost the trial against the foul falcons; and in Exile, have scattered to
Arc-Royal - BattleTechWiki (sarna.net) Arc-Royal
home of the Kell Hounds, wolf-kin. Dragoon and exile are now re-united...

...as the lore claims; there is an Arc-Royal Combat Training Program
(ReSeRVes) regiment:( new player training 'bootcamp' unit ) ...for those who would learn our ways of war.
ANd we are not the only exiles : arc royal has become a mercenary star - a guild hall mercenaries flock to with trust in Comstar's mrbc lost..
Perhaps you will find a grizzled old veteran like StarColonel Warner Radick or other comrades from bygone days.

Drop by, and this.. "obviously an inner sphere mercenary, just ask Natasha," will direct you further

https://discord.gg/ZcmrRa2MPd

Fortuitious, I saw this only as looking at how to post such a call to home for the scattered exiles.

Welcome home, wolf brethren.

We all been lost, we all been called

Everyone rise to a brethren code

We got your back, we all been low

Let's all rise to the brethren code

Edited by Freki Wulf, 03 July 2023 - 12:24 PM.

#6 Dustinstormer

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 09 July 2023 - 03:44 PM

Clan units seem to have died for the most part. I’m trying to get a CSJ unit up and running, it’s hard, especially for someone with no street cred. A lot of vets are completely disinterested in getting back into MWO. If you can get a Clan Wolf loyalist unit going I’d love to get some interaction between our units someday. Obviously I’ll hate every ounce of your being since you’re a Warden clan but that will just make it more fun. :)

Have a good one, and good luck.

#7 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2023 - 08:56 AM

A number of issues are the reason units no longer exist... One thing the game never had was a good way to socialize. Back then we relied on teamspeak and now it's discord. It's pretty easy to hop into the MWO Comp discord or the HPG one are try to grab some people to play a match, but other than that I don't think many people want to commit either the way they used to. FP has entirely died, and unless they did something to really revitalize it like redoing the entire dang thing, I don't know how people would get back into it. Then there is the issue that maybe a unit or two can be formed, without more people it's not going to last, and then if pugs join against formed units they get smashed and totally uniterested. According to the steam charts the game averages around 800-1000 players a day, figure its probably about double that with the stand-alone client. It's hard when the player base is also limited. You said it yourself, most of your friends list is inactive or people just don't respond.

Fortunately PGI has given us alot of events, some cool mechs with stuff we can grind out that isn't terribly expensive, and they have been doing a much better job at listening to players... but still think that time for the whole units and competition has passed unfortunately. That was the hayday and it's just a memory now.

#8 Dustinstormer

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 13 July 2023 - 08:05 PM

View PostCwStrife, on 12 July 2023 - 08:56 AM, said:

A number of issues are the reason units no longer exist... One thing the game never had was a good way to socialize. Back then we relied on teamspeak and now it's discord. It's pretty easy to hop into the MWO Comp discord or the HPG one are try to grab some people to play a match, but other than that I don't think many people want to commit either the way they used to. FP has entirely died, and unless they did something to really revitalize it like redoing the entire dang thing, I don't know how people would get back into it. Then there is the issue that maybe a unit or two can be formed, without more people it's not going to last, and then if pugs join against formed units they get smashed and totally uniterested. According to the steam charts the game averages around 800-1000 players a day, figure its probably about double that with the stand-alone client. It's hard when the player base is also limited. You said it yourself, most of your friends list is inactive or people just don't respond.

Fortunately PGI has given us alot of events, some cool mechs with stuff we can grind out that isn't terribly expensive, and they have been doing a much better job at listening to players... but still think that time for the whole units and competition has passed unfortunately. That was the hayday and it's just a memory now.

It's been really hard to find motivated players that aren't already in a unit. It doesn't help that people don't seem to want to experiment (Like you said, the game is old and FP has faded away a fair amount) so they only want to join established units like FJRD, GN-X, so on and so on. It really sucks that pugs get utterly stomped in FP and lose interest. I almost lost interest too because I was a stupid Tier 5 and I got utterly wrekt. Only my established love for Battletech and more large scale battles made me come back when I had a grip on the game. Going a bit tangential, I really wish some bigger units would try a little harder to not stomp unexperienced pug teams. Some pug teams can really hand a 12 player unit drop their arses but pugs vs KDCM is just not fun.

Maybe we need to collectively re-think how we the players- rather than the devs- do faction warfare. I've only been playing since Nov. 2022 but I understand that FP has been around a while and that grizzled veterans have already established tactics and "strategies" for it, but so far it seems to be very basic dumb stuff like getting a ball of death with similar loadouts and just "brawl harder" than the enemy team. I don't think I've ever played an FP match where I got surprised by a cool tactic or an obviously well thought-out plan, it's always just been very generic things like blue laser/LRM spam or 12 man stupid brawling, with a little bit of tactical maneuvering thrown in.

When I started out in FP I was expecting large scale strategies from prebuilt teams, arranged defensive lines, real tactical thinking outside of just the brawl, and I think that's what other people want too. Instead we get a watered down nightmare where the most common (and for some reason effective) tactic is to just run headfirst into the enemy with only the mindset of winning and utterly crushing your foe rather than having fun.

TL;DR:
People don't want to join new units or don't know where to find them, pug stomps hurt the FP community if large units don't try to keep themselves in check, FP sucks due to the playerbase rather than the game mechanics. (Though I wouldn't mind some additions to FP that have more to do with the Clan Invasion rather than 'clan mech shoot inner sphere mech. Grrr we lost.'"

Sorry for the total spam, I just want to get my thoughts out there.

#9 Dustinstormer

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 13 July 2023 - 08:10 PM

View PostCarimm Wolf, on 07 May 2023 - 01:45 PM, said:

So ive been back now for a month or so and ive noticed a lack in... well everything. I do not see units dropping together often in MM or Faction, 0 replies on my recruitment post, and sooooo many of my old friends just not replying when I see them online. It is very sad to see and I wonder what happened to the communities that were so big in the past. I see lots of people playing still but no community and what coms I do have ingame are usually pretty positive, so what happened?

Can we breath new life into the touman?
Can we get a good community working together again?
Am I just lost and not seeing what is really happening?
Do you have active groups meeting up someplace that is not easy to find?

Let me know what you think and who would be willing to join a new community if one stood up? I do have experience with this in other games and would be willing to again if there is a good number of you that are interested. Thank you - Star Captain Carimm Wolf

I am working really hard to bring the roleplay aspect back into Faction Play, so I understand the pain of trying to find such a unit in today's world of MWO. From your message it doesn't look like you would enjoy anything less than a Clan Wolf oriented unit, and I get behind that totally.

I'll keep looking for hardline CW units and will reach out if I find any that suit your needs and wants. In the meantime, one of my friends told me that a unit with the tag SPQR does a decent amount of Clan Wolf stuff, but I have no idea if that's just their preferred faction or if they're "LoreWarriors." I've seen them in FP before, and you may want to reach out to them to check for yourself.

Kerensky be with you.

#10 MasterChiefDarqo

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 08:40 PM

View PostDustinstormer, on 09 July 2023 - 03:44 PM, said:

Clan units seem to have died for the most part. I’m trying to get a CSJ unit up and running, it’s hard, especially for someone with no street cred. A lot of vets are completely disinterested in getting back into MWO. If you can get a Clan Wolf loyalist unit going I’d love to get some interaction between our units someday. Obviously I’ll hate every ounce of your being since you’re a Warden clan but that will just make it more fun. Posted Image

Have a good one, and good luck.

NCO Darqo ; of the ReSeRVes training unit ( now at arc-royal ) ; reportin' in:
...we had our common servers like stranamechty; comstar Na; etc-
now for InnerSphere CW / faction play, we have Ghosts/Nox- is there a clanner counterpart, ya' vat-borne mini-kaiju; wanna-be zentraidis?
- a current version of stranamechy for discord?
See you on the scrimmaghe field, or at tukkayid # ( I don't know ; lost count )

Edited by MasterChiefDarqo, 02 August 2023 - 11:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users