Fasa

40 replies to this topic

#21 Marcel Leander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 06:36 AM

I don't know why anyone would expect MWO to follow Battletech rules. It's a Mechwarrior game, and follows Mechwarrior video game rules that have been around since 1989 and was considered a spin-off - a new game in the same universe. The Mechwarrior video games were never Battletech. They just coexist.

#22 Fu Sun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 44 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMadison, Wis.

Posted 10 July 2023 - 06:41 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 06 July 2023 - 08:25 AM, said:

We've been over this a thousand times. Table top rules don't work well here. They served as a starting point, that's all.

"You" may have. Don't imagine everyone here is on your side. I haven't, and I'm sure there's others who agree. It's no reason to give up on the rules of table top, they would work, if anyone had any ambition to use them.

Melee weapons would be so simple to code, as well as so many other things, you're just offering excuses and being apologetic for it, at this point.

#23 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 July 2023 - 07:36 AM

Tabletop rules were designed with dice rolls, movement hexes and turns in mind. The MWO game in FPS mode has continuous motion and player controlled aim. I don't know why anyone would ever think FASA rules could be implemented anywhere close to 1:1, it'd be like applying Chess rules to Rugby.

#24 YouKnowNothing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 103 posts
  • LocationWhy are we here? Just to suffer?

Posted 10 July 2023 - 10:30 AM

View PostRockmachinE, on 10 July 2023 - 08:24 AM, said:

[redacted]

At this point, yes, I do believe this is a baiting troll.
Unless it's a brand new player, who hasn't figured out yet that we've been over this 1K times, and the consensus always was TT rules don't work well in MWO (despite what a very loud and very vocal minority may believe).

'Member Stock MWO Tournament? Pepperige Farm sort of 'members.

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 11 July 2023 - 02:26 AM.
quote clean-up

#25 Marcel Leander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 10:38 AM

View PostFu Sun, on 10 July 2023 - 06:41 AM, said:

"You" may have. Don't imagine everyone here is on your side. I haven't, and I'm sure there's others who agree. It's no reason to give up on the rules of table top, they would work, if anyone had any ambition to use them.

Melee weapons would be so simple to code, as well as so many other things, you're just offering excuses and being apologetic for it, at this point.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, the guy who founded FASA and his company teamed up with PGI to license Mechwarrior from Microsoft, and nobody would touch it with a 50 foot pole. That's why PGI ended up releasing it as just an online only shooter - it was the only way to get funding. It's part of the now 34 year old Mechwarrior video game series and based on those rules, NOT on Battletech. For 34 years now we've had this entire other game series with numerous entries that just just happens to have some overlaps with a tabletop game. It's getting to be a little bit late to start complaining about it now.

#26 Fu Sun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wis.

Posted 10 July 2023 - 11:07 AM

View PostMarcel Leander, on 10 July 2023 - 10:38 AM, said:

Just to make sure we're on the same page, the guy who founded FASA and his company teamed up with PGI to license Mechwarrior from Microsoft, and nobody would touch it with a 50 foot pole. That's why PGI ended up releasing it as just an online only shooter - it was the only way to get funding. It's part of the now 34 year old Mechwarrior video game series and based on those rules, NOT on Battletech. For 34 years now we've had this entire other game series with numerous entries that just just happens to have some overlaps with a tabletop game. It's getting to be a little bit late to start complaining about it now.

Explain how it's impossible to add what I just said, and you'd be right. If you want to join your friend in accepting what is, rather than what can be, then you know where you can go.

#27 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 12:24 PM

View PostFu Sun, on 10 July 2023 - 11:07 AM, said:

Explain how it's impossible to add what I just said, and you'd be right. If you want to join your friend in accepting what is, rather than what can be, then you know where you can go.

How about you explain the simplicity in, for example, adding melee weapons to a codebase built on an engine that almost nobody knows how to work with anymore? Furthermore, what impact do you think a real time game with player managed aim would have on a turn based ruleset where you roll dice to hit a random location? Reasonably good troll post though, 6/10.

#28 Fu Sun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wis.

Posted 10 July 2023 - 12:58 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 10 July 2023 - 12:24 PM, said:

How about you explain the simplicity in, for example, adding melee weapons to a codebase built on an engine that almost nobody knows how to work with anymore? Furthermore, what impact do you think a real time game with player managed aim would have on a turn based ruleset where you roll dice to hit a random location? Reasonably good troll post though, 6/10.

Okay. Add an axe, push a button to use it. Simple enough?

#29 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 July 2023 - 01:56 PM

View PostFu Sun, on 10 July 2023 - 12:58 PM, said:

I honestly can't tell if you know nothing about coding or are just a troll?

#30 Fu Sun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wis.

Posted 10 July 2023 - 02:21 PM

View PostAkhri Mala, on 10 July 2023 - 01:56 PM, said:

I honestly can't tell if you know nothing about coding or are just a troll?

Then why are you speaking? Also, I know the concept of a lever is difficult to understand in physics, but I had no idea it was impossible for coders. Would you be one? Maybe you could work for PGI, and explain how a lever works, since you represent having knowledge.

After that, then you can speak. Otherwise, you're just wasted bits and bytes on my screen.

#31 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 03:07 PM

View PostFu Sun, on 10 July 2023 - 12:58 PM, said:

Sure, it's that simple. The reason PGI haven't added the feature is not because it is desceptively difficult to add, but because they hate you.

#32 Fookerton

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 03:12 PM

View PostFu Sun, on 10 July 2023 - 02:21 PM, said:

Also, I know the concept of a lever is difficult to understand in physics, but I had no idea it was impossible for coders.

So yea, you know nothing about coding lol

#33 Fu Sun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 44 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wis.

Posted 10 July 2023 - 03:27 PM

View PostFookerton, on 10 July 2023 - 03:12 PM, said:

So yea, you know nothing about coding lol

Thanks for piling on. You are a valued addition to the thread. I got an idea. Don't hit post next time. It's a simple button, and requires no coding knowledge whatsoever.

By the way, for those of you pondering similar replies, there's this game called MW5. It has this thing where you push a button, and the mechs do melee attacks. So, yeah, completely impossible to code. Good call.

View PostRickySpanish, on 10 July 2023 - 03:07 PM, said:

Sure, it's that simple. The reason PGI haven't added the feature is not because it is desceptively difficult to add, but because they hate you.

See below. MW5 has it. So, whether or not a corporate entity is capable of hate, it's good to know you're all wrong.

Also, learn to spell.

#34 Fookerton

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 03:34 PM

Alright alright, I wasn't trying to be snarky.

To be on topic, the gulf between genres is so massive that it's hard to take your grievances seriously. A turn-based games in which more often than not you're controlling multiple units where every action and consequence is based off of dice rolls compared to a first-person shooter reliant on real-time management of resources and hand-eye coordination. Its just not there, the comparison is so far off that anyone with a foot in reality wouldn't begrudge the design decisions of either.

It's mind-boggling to me.

#35 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 03:38 PM

View PostFu Sun, on 10 July 2023 - 03:27 PM, said:

Thanks for piling on. You are a valued addition to the thread. I got an idea. Don't hit post next time. It's a simple button, and requires no coding knowledge whatsoever.

By the way, for those of you pondering similar replies, there's this game called MW5. It has this thing where you push a button, and the mechs do melee attacks. So, yeah, completely impossible to code. Good call.

See below. MW5 has it. So, whether or not a corporate entity is capable of hate, it's good to know you're all wrong.

Also, learn to spell.

MWO is an online PVP game made in a spaghetti mess of an engine that PGI's current programmers are not familiar with. it would not be a worthwhile allocation of resources to say the least.

#36 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 04:27 PM

Also, learn to spell.

I'll correct my spelling once you correct your understanding, or lack thereof, about game development.

#37 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 July 2023 - 04:41 PM

Posted Image

#38 Marcel Leander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 06:15 PM

Also, learn to spell.

Yeah, my vague understanding of the situation is that the people who coded a lot of MWO aren't around and the coders who are currently with the company can't really pick through the mess of their code and this game engine to make any serious changes. That's why Mechwarrior 5 has a lot of features that MWO doesn't - they wrote a whole new game from the ground up with their current coding staff.

Edited by Marcel Leander, 10 July 2023 - 06:16 PM.

#39 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 06:23 PM

The only thing I don't get is why the mods don't lock this thread.

#40 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 02:35 AM

View PostRockmachinE, on 10 July 2023 - 06:23 PM, said:

The only thing I don't get is why the mods don't lock this thread.

It's technically not violating the CoC, but the overall form of discussion tipped the interest of the Tetatae, who issued a relocation request to ComStar, since they can't leave Kaetetôã. Feel free to discuss further.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users