Game Registers Frontal Damage As Rear Damage

6 replies to this topic

#1 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 11:52 AM

For over a year i observed a weird behavior of damage in MWO: sometimes when you are getting hit in a frontal armor, your rear armor gets damaged instead. I originally thought that its a weird splash damage mechanic or stray rockets somehow hitting back of my mech, but now it started happening even with PPCs and Gauss Rifles. I don't know what to think, because this is definitely not right when you have 130 CT armor but die after a fafnir shoots you in CT with one Heavy Gauss Rifle becaues it hit rear armor somehow.

Have anybody else experience this issue? Did anyone notice similar hit registration problems? I really want to get some explaination for this one...

#2 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 04:18 AM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 10 July 2023 - 11:52 AM, said:

For over a year i observed a weird behavior of damage in MWO: sometimes when you are getting hit in a frontal armor, your rear armor gets damaged instead. I originally thought that its a weird splash damage mechanic or stray rockets somehow hitting back of my mech, but now it started happening even with PPCs and Gauss Rifles. I don't know what to think, because this is definitely not right when you have 130 CT armor but die after a fafnir shoots you in CT with one Heavy Gauss Rifle becaues it hit rear armor somehow.

Have anybody else experience this issue? Did anyone notice similar hit registration problems? I really want to get some explaination for this one...

It's a fairly well known issue by now, and a lot of people have experienced it myself included. It tends to happen a lot with high velocity PPFLD.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 July 2023 - 07:12 PM

Most of the time it is likely due to where the borders for each hitbox lines up. A few posters who recorded their matches and posted videos had instances where they were hit and registered as a rear hit is due to where a rear torso meets the front torso components, the angle of the shot vs the target. One had the target at a lower elevation than the shooter, and the target was slightly twisted and while facing below the event horizon.. . I believe in that video the player had been piloting a linebacker. See the pic below, in the angled from the front side view with the blue section marked in the rear outside. In testing, the rear wraps slightly around the inner section.

https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

The hitbox location thread primarily shows only the front and rear view with no overall view from different angles from the sides and the top/bottom. From one of the BT games I played, MPBT Solaris, the Catapult rear wrapped around slightly onto the top of the mech, was targetable when jumping. There are still animated gifs of a jumper taking a shot at it.

With that said, it is likely a few rear damage cannot be attributed to the above.

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 14 July 2023 - 07:13 PM.

#4 SJ MetalDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pirate
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 08:26 AM

broken net code and hit reg

but ive had it a lot in stone rhino but i think thats more a hit box issue

#5 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 August 2023 - 04:13 PM

Hit detection is wonky at times due to the lowish server tick rate. Very high velocity weapons can glitch it out because the server thinks you are still in the same position even after you move till it catches up. This is how weapons can seemingly hit you behind cover as you evade. In game you might have evaded in time and got behind cover but the server still thinks you are in the open and get popped. Same with rear damage on a frontal shot especially if you were twisting at the time.

#6 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 08:35 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 13 August 2023 - 04:13 PM, said:

This is how weapons can seemingly hit you behind cover as you evade. In game you might have evaded in time and got behind cover but the server still thinks you are in the open and get popped.

Does the shooter see the pipper register a hit?

#7 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 August 2023 - 09:32 PM

I would imagine the pip should turn red on a hit as long as it registered on the mech it hit. Though there are times I've dumped a full laser alpha into a mech with no red pip or paperdoll flash. So wonky hit reg plus a steady creep of faster mechs and higher velocity weapons and you get stuff like this. Oh plus the odd botter using hax. These last few months I've had a huge uptick in my right leg getting zapped or a clean ct hit when it used to be hits all over the mech. So either something in the hit reg code has changed or a new hax got popular.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users