Remove Faction Play, For The Love Of God.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 15 July 2023 - 12:37 PM

Came back after long break, played in quickplay for couple weeks, im having fun. But due to 1500MC + 5M cbill event i tried faction play and gotta say, this game mode is as horrid as i remember. You guys should never add events based on a game mode that is akin to torture. In fact i am pissed that i actually played 5 games to complete the event. It is so bad that, there no doubt players dont touch it. Hence we get such strong incentives to try it but guys, it does the opposite thing. It makes me angry at the game for going through 2, 3 hours of BS. Those are the kind of things makes you drop a game completely. Ffs just remove this game mode altogether or never ever ever make an event around it.

#2 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 July 2023 - 03:01 PM

i honestly understand your view. i got reminded today why i only ever played a tiny amount of FP before abandoning it all those years ago. its not the mode itself to be honest it was what is honestly likely a minority of players (lets be honest most MWO players are silent and rarely use coms). the mode itself could be good with a few tweaks so i say keep it for now (not like Solaris that was DOA and worthless)

the player in question that reminded me of it was one of those toxic ******** who think everyone needs to play their prefered play style. (i was on my first mech, a stalker-3FB running 2 ER LLs, 2 MLs, with 2 LRM 15s as a sort of secondary/backup weapon not meta but i don't care about that and its a fun mech for me). i had just got taken out and i made a comment that i had forgotten that they ruined the Marric map making it almost impossible to use LRM in any meaningful way on it. the shear amount of toxic sludge the guy spewed almost made me laugh. oh it was the usual LRM suck and they shouldn't be in the game stuff for the most part with a healthy dose of the "oh your Tier 3, you suck go die and get out of here " ****. (hell i think i did rather well considering the map with something like 1 kill and plenty of damage before that mech died, i only really used 2 (game ended before my third mech could get to the fight) and ended with 2 kills, 1 solo, 4 KMDD and something like 30+ assists with well over 1K damage dealt. (i think my second mech was the ECM Warhammer with 4 LPPC and an MRM 20, again not meta but fun) yeah i could have done a bit better but it was so hard to get a good angle on anything that match without getting focused on hard or just not having a shot that i'm fine with it.

a couple people just laughed at him including me (i'm ex-military and i have dealt with a higher class of ******* than any video game can produce). while i was walking up to the fight in my second mech i made the offhand comment that he only hates them because he doesn't know how to counter them and if he is being rained on and isn't carrying an AMS than he shouldn't cry about it. he fired back with the usual "elite" mindset of "whats that and why would you ever use it" talk.

long story short its toxic people like him that ruins the game mode (i'm not giving names because i couldn't care less and am just using him as an example, not to mention CoC). at least in QP when you get someone toxic (it rarely seems to be as bad as you get in FP but it does happen.) the match is over relatively quickly and you only have to deal with them for a few minutes then on to the next match. like everything else in FP the longer matches (not a bad thing in itself) exacerbate any negative experience from said match, be it toxic people, a stomp, or just having one of those matches where everything you try just goes **** up.

as for the event i don't mind it. sort of needed to be honest. now that Comp que is gone along with group que Faction is the only real place for the overly competitive people to go. hell i got most of it done in one match. the only thing i didn't get in the 5 matches it took for the Mech bay was the Kills/KMDD, i have been playing for years so have more C-bills than i know what to do with (seriously i could buy an Overlord Class Dropship with enough left over to start a fair sized merc unit with all the mechs and equipment needed) and enough MC to buy at least 3 Assault heroes if not more. i don't mind if i have to dip my toe into the sludge pit for a bit now and again if it helps retain players (even if it is FP players). its actually kind of refreshing to have it now and again as long as it doesn't lock me out of switching back to QP after i get what i want out of the event.

(note-- sorry for long rambling post)

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 15 July 2023 - 03:02 PM.

#3 Geewiz 27

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 12:11 AM

View PostLordhammer, on 15 July 2023 - 12:37 PM, said:

Came back after long break, played in quickplay for couple weeks, im having fun. But due to 1500MC + 5M cbill event i tried faction play and gotta say, this game mode is as horrid as i remember. You guys should never add events based on a game mode that is akin to torture. In fact i am pissed that i actually played 5 games to complete the event. It is so bad that, there no doubt players dont touch it. Hence we get such strong incentives to try it but guys, it does the opposite thing. It makes me angry at the game for going through 2, 3 hours of BS. Those are the kind of things makes you drop a game completely. Ffs just remove this game mode altogether or never ever ever make an event around it.

FW is designed for groups, closer to 12 man the better, if you don't want to spend the time to join a unit or find a discord or 2 that drops fw regularly that's your choice but don't complain about the players that play it as intended. I for 1 love FW and think it's the best part of the game.

#4 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 01:33 AM

Most players, that are not satisfied with the mode simply refuse to do their homework. Around 60% of the win is preparation. Bring the proper mech with the proper load out quirks and skilltree to the right map. 8/10 this means long to extreme range, because of reinforcement nature. Yondu even made an good guide with load outs, Tipps for the maps (slightly outdated because of gen switch).

So the three point check list still remains:
Don't lose in mechlab
Bring friends
Gitgud (if U score under 1500 regulary, more often than not the competition will be rough)

U can have fun, if at least got two of these are checked. Less is recipe for butthurt.
Sure nothing prevents U to bring your lurmer. U are just an active burden to your team.

#5 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 16 July 2023 - 03:25 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 16 July 2023 - 01:33 AM, said:

Most players, that are not satisfied with the mode simply refuse to do their homework. Around 60% of the win is preparation. Bring the proper mech with the proper load out quirks and skilltree to the right map. 8/10 this means long to extreme range, because of reinforcement nature. Yondu even made an good guide with load outs, Tipps for the maps (slightly outdated because of gen switch).

So the three point check list still remains:
Don't lose in mechlab
Bring friends
Gitgud (if U score under 1500 regulary, more often than not the competition will be rough)

U can have fun, if at least got two of these are checked. Less is recipe for butthurt.
Sure nothing prevents U to bring your lurmer. U are just an active burden to your team.

So many assumptions. I did 2k+ dmg on all but one of these games (last game i just gave up after 100points). I didnt not have fun even when i won. FP-only maps especially feel horrid. That is why you literally define a bad game design, when you dislike your time playing, even when you win.

#6 J a y

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 05:27 AM

Faction Play is a highly-competitive game mode where players fight
for control over the territory of the Inner Sphere. Forge a Contract
with one of four invading Clans or one of six Inner Sphere Houses to
fight under their banner and earn Faction rewards.

Faction Play has a strong emphasis on team cohesion and
specialized 'Mech loadouts, and unlike Quick Play there is no skill-
based matchmaking system in place! Faction Play matches are often
comprised of experienced and organized MechWarriors running
well-stocked and heavily customized 'Mech loadouts.

If you are new to MechWarrior Online we strongly recommend
honing your skills in Quick Play and building up a stock of at least
four customized and famillar 'Mechs before joining the fight for the
Inner Sphere.

#7 Channu

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 06:04 AM

View PostLordhammer, on 16 July 2023 - 03:25 AM, said:

So many assumptions. I did 2k+ dmg on all but one of these games (last game i just gave up after 100points). I didnt not have fun even when i won. FP-only maps especially feel horrid. That is why you literally define a bad game design, when you dislike your time playing, even when you win.

All siege maps follow the same principle. Narrow paths that lead to gates. They're even worse than QP maps in my opinion because it feels like you are part of a bad tower defense game. So you have to deathball almost every siege map to take down those generators, because flanking on those maps doesn't really work.

#8 oligodeoxyhexosulose

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 06:25 AM

I disagree. FP is a great mode that allows encourages gameplay, communications while allowing you to optimize your mechs according to the mission. The big reason why mechs can be customized in the first place.

If we were to get rid of a game mode, perhaps get rid of the one where they sometimes team you up with people you might not prefer to team up with,. don't allow you to play with more than three friends and give you maps according to some lucky draw and hope that you built the right mech for said map.

Edited by oligodeoxyhexosulose, 16 July 2023 - 06:25 AM.

#9 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 12:16 PM

View PostChannu, on 16 July 2023 - 06:04 AM, said:

All siege maps follow the same principle. Narrow paths that lead to gates. They're even worse than QP maps in my opinion because it feels like you are part of a bad tower defense game. So you have to deathball almost every siege map to take down those generators, because flanking on those maps doesn't really work.

u can, but easier/better is to learn to trade your way in. Otherwise u will crumble vs early gate defence

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 16 July 2023 - 12:46 PM.

#10 Channu

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 02:46 PM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 16 July 2023 - 12:16 PM, said:

u can, but easier/better is to learn to trade your way in. Otherwise u will crumble vs early gate defence

I'm kind of impressed how you can defend bad game design.

#11 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 10:38 PM

The gates never where an big issue for me. U can go in as team or trade your way in depending on your individual skillset. The major problem on defence are the extreme high grounds near defender spawn where U can cover to much area without any movement. And boreal where in addition the hole lane gives strong advantage to defenders and gates are to close to each other.

Personally I like the challenge to overcome these situations.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 16 July 2023 - 10:39 PM.

#12 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 16 July 2023 - 10:53 PM

OK, let's see...
You want to remove FP from a MechWarrior game because FP is the only and last part what IS MechWarrior still?
Or just because it is hard? Or just because event is hard? Or just because of Mars smaller than Earth thus you weight are less there? Or just because whatever?

NO! FP IS COOL! DEAL WITH IT OR GO PLAY QP.
Or EQ if prefer that!
You know what? I am T4 with troubles but I love to play FP. Because it is fun! It is challenging! It could help learn a lot how to ride certain mechs or builds.
It is good not because of the drop decks or suchs (some people have this disillusion). It is hard but if you have success it's more rewarding than mere QP could ever be!

C'mon, girlz&boyz! Stop throwing yer p00p upon FP if you not like it! You have QP. Do we throw sh!tloads on QP? No! Even if QP is more wounded and crippled than FP. Haters gonna hate, FP gonna be fun 4ever!

THX! And make attacker\defender random! THX!

EDIT.: Fixed a misstyped sentence part, my bad!

Edited by Duke Falcon, 17 July 2023 - 11:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users