#1 ManusDei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 01:34 PM

What is your style?
do you care about winning?
or just playing for fun?
Is losing fun to you?

Edited by ManusDei, 30 June 2023 - 02:11 PM.

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,795 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 June 2023 - 03:43 PM

I don't care about stats in the slightest and am happy win or lose since I got to roll around in stompy mechs and shoot other mechs in the face. I do play to win though since its a pvp game and not playing to win is griefing. If people want to lulz about a map screwing around there is single player mw5.

#3 ManusDei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 09:08 AM

I play to win, but you know this game would benefit if they had an option for "I want to win" mode or "I don't care about winning losing is fun for me too" mode. Sadly we don't have that option so when you see players just leroy jenkins its a disappointing game to say the least when all your team is dead in less than 3 minutes.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 12:04 PM

if you arent going to try to win whats the point?

but there are bad wins and good losses. if you are playing a troll build or going for stats, the best approach is to try to win. because good, fun games happen when everyone brings their best.

#5 trans catgirl

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMagistracy of Canopus

Posted 02 July 2023 - 06:04 AM

I do think that the point of the game is to play to win, but at the end of the day it is still a game? and minimizing the impacts that losses have on you is something that keeps it fun for me. Someone has to win and someone has to lose every match, sometimes you get dunked on before doing any damage. It happens.

Specifically I wouldn't call losses fun, but like, the intense moments in them is.

#6 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 02 July 2023 - 07:06 AM

Winning or losing doesn't matter to me. It happens when I play well. I concentrate and focus my attention. If I'm lucky, I win. Sometimes it's the opposite. I may not be fully focused on the game. I might be watching a video clip or a movie. The TV might be on. I could be cooking or cleaning. Sometimes I just casually join the game. Or maybe I'm feeling down. A person doesn't always stay in the same mood.

In the end, we don't live inside the game. Even though a significant part of my life is dedicated to computer games, I don't live inside the game.

I believe in this: the human brain can only focus on one thing at a time. It cannot focus on two things simultaneously.

Some players don't even listen to music while playing games. Does it have its benefits? Yes. But when I don't listen to music, I get bored of the game very quickly.

Edited by AyKu, 02 July 2023 - 07:22 AM.

#7 ManusDei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 11:19 AM

Troll builds are out their deal with it just keep playing your game. I played streak boats for as long as possible until Piranha nerfed them into the ground. So now I play a different troll build according to your reasoning. Everything is a troll build bro.
I play to win.... anything else is just drunk waste of time. I don't drink either. I play to improve and win.

Edited by ManusDei, 07 July 2023 - 11:19 AM.

#8 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 625 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 09:25 PM

I care about not only winning but winning in style.

Looking the part is one aspect of it, the other is doing the unexpected that leaves people in shock and awe at how you managed to pull it off. A mix of finesse and brutality and the occasional sleight of hand to get things done.

#9 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 896 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 11 July 2023 - 09:45 AM

I may seem totally insane in game. Really...
For a while I try to behave, really! But then my agressive "I wanna" n "let's do-it" overwhelms and charge 'till the bitter end (sometimes it works surprisingly well, though). I usually try to enjoy the game. If I have a good brawl but slaughtered and we lost Idontcareb!tch3s I liked the match and content. Sometimes even if we won I feel the match were lacklusta at best.
I not care if win or lost 'till I have fun. Only exception is FP where my objective is "not being the first who perma dead". But FP is a whole different league\class...
I may said it elsewhere but I not shy to say it again: I try to remain close to T5 no matter what because it is fun place! In higher tiers (I sometimes group drop there, later...) you may not see or do such funny things like it T5-4. Circus to entertain ye uttermost! On the other hand playing against higher tiers (group drop or FP) is challenging and I also like that. So I not sure about the tier-system is good or not as it has pros and cons. But playing in the different milieous offer different fun help to forget the "I must win" concept. It entertains me and I think this is all what matters...
Well, I am unsure now. I may seems confusing (sorry, not native english thus I may not expressed myself as I wanted) but I think a game - any game - is for fun and not the "I play for win or IDC if lost". If defeat marks the end of a good match then does it really matters?

#10 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 17 July 2023 - 06:49 AM

I am not the best player in this game. I try as hard as I can and hope those who are on my team care about winning as much as I do. Honestly that is all you or I can do.

#11 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 11:47 AM

Slightly off topic, but....I used to think everybody played to win, and in-game accusations of sabotaging were nonsense - but have observed more than once a player actively sabotaging their team by both refusing to kill enemies, and then drop artillery on their own team. In one case the betrayer on our team basically linked up with an enemy lance, after dumping his artillery on our guys, and spent the rest of the match effectively fighting with that enemy lance against us- all of which I observed through his cockpit. Clearly the enemy lance was also aware of what he was doing as they never shot him either. Was eye opening in a bit of a bad way...

Edited by An6ryMan69, 17 July 2023 - 11:49 AM.

#12 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 July 2023 - 01:42 AM

To paraphrase Conan, the best things in life are to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women mothers.

Playing for fun and playing to win are synonymous in my mind, although I don't necessarily ascribe much value to the actual victory itself. Winning is fun. So are narrow losses.

There are gotchas to it, of course, such as that winning against enemies who don't present a challenge isn't fun, it's just going through the motions.

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 17 July 2023 - 11:47 AM, said:

Slightly off topic, but....I used to think everybody played to win, and in-game accusations of sabotaging were nonsense - but have observed more than once a player actively sabotaging their team by both refusing to kill enemies, and then drop artillery on their own team. In one case the betrayer on our team basically linked up with an enemy lance, after dumping his artillery on our guys, and spent the rest of the match effectively fighting with that enemy lance against us- all of which I observed through his cockpit. Clearly the enemy lance was also aware of what he was doing as they never shot him either. Was eye opening in a bit of a bad way...

That's something you should be reporting to PGI with nickname, time and match ID.

Edited by Horseman, 22 July 2023 - 01:44 AM.

#13 greeeef

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:18 AM

I cant get over how seriously some people take this stampy robot game. As soon as i find myself actually caring i log out for a week or two to get my head straight.

#14 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 625 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 20 September 2023 - 03:24 AM

Whatever, I just...
play for fun. 😎

1 user(s) are reading this topic