My Gripes About The Newly Introduced Mechs

BattleMechs

19 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonPhantom6sg062

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 12:30 AM

Sorry for not being around in MWO these days: I am no longer interested in a pro career and I want to focus on other things in life. Related to this, I might not reply if I don’t feel like it.

Been seeing a lot of talk around the new legendary mechs and the Stone Rhino (SR). I personally think a lot of it is misguided. I think given that MWO CS is around the corner, I should share my opinions now: Posted Image

I don’t see a problem with any of the legendary mechs, except the CP-Arges.
Seraph is fine – it is too slot-starved to be a serious problem.
Desperado is fine; it is a strong sniper.
Howl is fine; it is a strong IDF mech.
Stone Crusher is fine; it can do well in mid and short ranges, but I wouldn’t say it is too powerful.
Gausszilla to me is a gimmick mech – fun to play especially as a Clan-IS hybrid but its dakka and gauss builds are nothing to write home about. It can be very powerful, but I think it is difficult to make full use of this machine in actual battles. Posted Image

I have an issue with the Arges. I think it is overpowered and I will use the MAL-2P HGR and FNR-5B HGR builds as references.
I personally would decrease its agility by 20% on average, so that its agility is similar to FNR-WR.

I personally see no issue with most SR variants, except the Koloss. I can provide arguments for any variant if required (if I feel like it Posted Image ).

I think the Koloss is ridiculous, and I will use the Seraph LBX-20, SR-6 MPL, MAD-4HP SRM, CRD-6T ERSL, BNC-3S ERSL/ MRM30/ AC20, AS7-S AC20-SRM, ARC-5W SRM, and CPLT-A1 SRM builds as my references.
I personally would remove ALL firepower quirks and that is it. It has interesting hardpoints that make it stand out anyway.

Some may argue that Koloss has aiming problems, but I argue that I have no issues with accurately targeting components with this mech and that all builds should be evaluated from top to bottom rather than from bottom to top, since the best players are more likely to uncover the most potential from a certain aspect of a game.

Given the current trend towards slow short-ranged builds:
I believe that large laser and PPC quirks should be added to some faster lights, such as PIR-2/3 or COM-1D. I think long-ranged lights are slightly underrepresented in this game - good benchmarks are the Fury, Adder-Prime, and Wolfhound. A build that used to be fun to play was the LPPC FLE-15, but it is now pretty much worthless - is it possible to give it some MEGA GIGA ULTRA buffs to this build specifically? I will understand if it is impractical to buff the FLE-15 in this way.

I also don't see problems adding AC ammo quirks to: PIR, INC, JVN-11F, OSR, Anansi, and Bellonarius.

My advice for future variant introductions is to balance them so that they are slightly weaker than the benchmark builds. This way, we can avoid power creep and balance them properly as more data is collected on them. Besides, their main attraction should be unique features; not pure performance. MWO is mainly a fun game, not a real-life profession or a sport.Posted Image

Edited by CrimsonPhantom6sg062, 30 July 2023 - 12:37 AM.

#2 Razgriz_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 30 July 2023 - 08:27 AM

View PostCrimsonPhantom6sg062, on 30 July 2023 - 12:30 AM, said:

We are clearly playing a different game lmao

#3 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 01:22 PM

I saw an Arges once last week. I too feel that single sighting has ruined MWO completely.

I also concur that all balance could be fixed by giving... Let me make sure I read this right... AC ammo buffs to the Pirhana? Yep. That right there is what we need. Cauldron, get to it lads!

#4 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 01:54 PM

I have an issue with the Arges. I think it is overpowered and I will use the MAL-2P HGR and FNR-5B HGR builds as references.
I personally would decrease its agility by 20% on average, so that its agility is similar to FNR-WR.

Why not to compare it to Sleipnir, as they are both cyclops? As 90 tonners are bit tonnage/slot starved with dual HGR Arges is paying quite high price to get extra lasers, going stupidly slow or not having enough ammo.
Example builds for each: cp-s cp-arlgd

#5 Delete Dragon

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 07:13 PM

MWO is mainly a fun game, not a real-life profession or a sport.Posted Image

View PostRazgriz_, on 30 July 2023 - 08:27 AM, said:

We are clearly playing a different game lmao

^^^

#6 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 08:39 AM

I have to respectfully disagree with anything that makes PIR's more of a plague than they currently are.

I'm pretty much sick to death of watching one 20 tonner jumping on multiple enemy mechs at once, and winning, and I can't count how many matches I have been in where a pair of skilled PIR payers working together have completely taken over a match.

I know the overall game stats show lights being weak on the whole, but that doesn't at all properly reflect just how brutal the PIR and a couple of other lights are, they are when properly piloted.

#7 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 08:58 AM

Know what my complaint is?

After SR, GZ, Moonwalker and Stone Crusher... where do you even go from here?

#8 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 09:05 AM

Hopefully to just a more balanced game experience, as opposed to simply adding more and more guns to bigger and bigger mechs.

#9 SafeScanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 31 July 2023 - 09:59 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 31 July 2023 - 08:58 AM, said:

heavy/mediums? or heavier mediums / lighter heavies?

#10 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:10 AM

i've gotten over 1000 damage in one match in my guass zilla my only gripe is it's cockpit is literally a copypaste of the IS version though i could maybe use a little more armor.

IN lore the annihlator was extinct in the inner sphere as the plans and any surviving mechs were taken when Kerenesky took the Star league into exile. The only way to get one pre-clan invasion is to be in the wolf's dragoons.

Having trouble finding a good build for the Howl atm.

Edited by KursedVixen, 31 July 2023 - 10:11 AM.

#11 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:12 AM

Current short ranged builds?

Dude... WHAT?

There's so much blue laser spam every match feels like an 1987 Def Leopard concert.

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:20 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 31 July 2023 - 08:58 AM, said:

Legendary Wolfhound with 8 missile hardpoints, jump jets, -40% spread on Standard IS SRM launchers and +200 seismic sensor range.

#13 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:27 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 31 July 2023 - 10:20 AM, said:

Legendary Wolfhound with 8 missile hardpoints, jump jets, -40% spread on Standard IS SRM launchers and +200 seismic sensor range.

Know what kills me?

That wouldn't even be particularly OP now. 4 SRM4 4SRM2 would make it on par with an Awoo, maybe. 12 tons plus ammo and sinks around a decent engine? Limiting if it's even doable. The spread would be nuts and the Seismic would be a sleeper-OP quirk if you check your minimap, but just the hardpoints and JJs? It's an Awoo. 8 SRM2 if you want all the JJs and vroom.

#14 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 31 July 2023 - 01:57 PM

What’s an Awoo?

#15 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,841 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 31 July 2023 - 03:03 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 31 July 2023 - 01:57 PM, said:

What’s an Awoo?

Arctic Wolf

#16 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 05:52 PM

I believe that large laser and PPC quirks should be added to some faster lights, such as PIR-2/3 or COM-1D. I think long-ranged lights are slightly underrepresented in this game - good benchmarks are the Fury, Adder-Prime, and Wolfhound. A build that used to be fun to play was the LPPC FLE-15, but it is now pretty much worthless - is it possible to give it some MEGA GIGA ULTRA buffs to this build specifically? I will understand if it is impractical to buff the FLE-15 in this way.

I also don't see problems adding AC ammo quirks to: PIR, INC, JVN-11F, OSR, Anansi, and Bellonarius.

Flea-19 is quirked for lppc. You can only run one but it has a lot of quirks that work for it, and then can add mgs with ammo quirk. Theres also the Commando with 3lppc. None are exactly quirked for it but I ran it on the 1b and while I would like to see it perform a little higher it does work a bit.

#17 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 July 2023 - 06:52 PM

I have seen more short range builds on some of the new assaults lately. They are quite deadly. But there's still snipers of course too.

#18 CrimsonPhantom6sg062

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:47 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 30 July 2023 - 01:22 PM, said:

I saw an Arges once last week. I too feel that single sighting has ruined MWO completely.

I also concur that all balance could be fixed by giving... Let me make sure I read this right... AC ammo buffs to the Pirhana? Yep. That right there is what we need. Cauldron, get to it lads!

Thanks for your support! If the MLX and ACH have ballistic ammo quirks, then I don’t see why the PIR shouldn’t get the quirks as well. Posted Image Unfortunately, this obviously won’t fix all balance issues, but I am not talking about that. I am talking about OP mechs that I think should be addressed quickly before MWO CS, and discussing the lack of attention on light mechs in the last few months.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

View PostCurccu, on 30 July 2023 - 01:54 PM, said:

Why not to compare it to Sleipnir, as they are both cyclops? As 90 tonners are bit tonnage/slot starved with dual HGR Arges is paying quite high price to get extra lasers, going stupidly slow or not having enough ammo.
Example builds for each: cp-s cp-arlgd

Does it? Posted Image I don’t see ammo (23 shots or 1667.5 potential damage) or speed (~54km/h) issues with the 2HGR + 6ERSL build. 2HGR + 8ERSL is basically a semi-rocket/ opener build – very effective at blasting holes in enemy lines, and still somewhat useful when all HGR ammo is used up. You shouldn’t be surviving for long time periods with 8ERSL+ESS anyway because that is not how you play this build type – though of course this does NOT mean doing YOLO charges. Actually, now that I built it, 8ERSL+STD Structure isn’t even that slow either (~49km/h). You have an Anni-1X competitor now – 1X is one of the ‘fragile’ IS Annis, the other being the 2A.

I know it is easier to compare intra-chassis variants because they share characteristics such as geometry, but shouldn’t the builds be balanced across ALL possible contenders for some role?

I didn’t bring up the Sleipnir, a good comparison, because CP-S is more comparable to NSR-9P or FNR-5. It doesn’t have enough energy hardpoints to warrant a better comparison than MAL-2P, etc. But if you insist…Posted Image

I don’t see any significant advantage in the Sleipnir over the Arges, whether you use ERSL or medium class lasers. However, the Arges kills the Sleipnir because of its sensors – it is lightyears ahead in terms of lurks, opening, and closing.

And this is mainly why I say the Arges is OP, especially since Sleipnir is already a solid HGR mech. It has one of the best firepower in the game, partly thanks to its TIG quirk that lets it find and wreck open components quickly, it is almost impossible to catch off-guard with the HGR build, and it has decent agility to react to sudden moves. I understand that the sensors are what makes this “Legendary”, so I am giving a compromise of lower agility to offset that. If you are good, then this shouldn’t be too much of an issue especially at longer ranges.

I am happy that you brought up actual analysis in this discussion. Unfortunately, it is not enough to sway my perspective. Posted Image

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 31 July 2023 - 08:39 AM, said:

I have to respectfully disagree with anything that makes PIR's more of a plague than they currently are.

I'm pretty much sick to death of watching one 20 tonner jumping on multiple enemy mechs at once, and winning, and I can't count how many matches I have been in where a pair of skilled PIR payers working together have completely taken over a match.

I know the overall game stats show lights being weak on the whole, but that doesn't at all properly reflect just how brutal the PIR and a couple of other lights are, they are when properly piloted.

Based on my experience in-game, I think most of the complaints about the PIR are regarding its short-range builds, not its long-range builds. I hear comments such as “ankle-biters” or “getting surrounded” that doesn’t really make sense with an overpowered long-ranged PIR. Even with MLX-level AC quirks, I only really see players getting at most 6 micro lasers on their PIR after fitting an AC. Any more and why run the PIR? Run a HBK or whatever.

I agree that lights are currently somewhat well-balanced; that was why I used to moan about the MLX back when it was insane. You know that I don’t care about arbitrary stat nonsense – I care about actual in-game impact. Posted Image However, my experience especially as a dynamic sniper main is that long-ranged lights need some attention. I love my adder and fury, but I want more variety! If the ERLL Atlas and LRM Anni work well, then I don’t see why the Commando can’t have PPC quirks for example.

Sometimes you see 1 player solo half the enemy team in any mech, or 2 versus most of the team in any combo of mechs. It just happens when all the stars align. Not much you can really do, but fortunately in my experience this rarely happens. The vast majority of star role attempts can get shut down with correct decision-making.

View PostKursedVixen, on 31 July 2023 - 10:10 AM, said:

Having trouble finding a good build for the Howl atm.

Try: XL350 Engine, 4 ATM9, TAG, 4 JJ, MASC (put this in either arm depending on play style).

You can play around with TAG, JJ’s, and ammo depending on your play style. Don’t forget to strip armor from your arms, and watch your arm health in-game – you don’t want to lose all your ammo and MASC because your arms got amputated.

I prefer less ammo, MASC in left arm because I like lurking and hate brawling – this is just a preference.

Plays like an unholy mix of LRM-boat, long-range bracket-build, and scout medium. Very unique style, and can take basically any position (except completely worthless areas). As with most IDF builds, you should stick with the main body of your team, not isolate yourself, and focus on dealing lots of damage at the start. IDF builds are bad at closing games.

View PostIhlrath, on 31 July 2023 - 10:12 AM, said:

Current short ranged builds?

Dude... WHAT?

There's so much blue laser spam every match feels like an 1987 Def Leopard concert.

Look at the previous new mechs and tell me if they are short-range focused or not. Scattershot, Seraph, Arges, Stone Crusher, Koloss, etc. Not to mention that they are either pretty solid, or downright OP. Even Gausszilla and Desperada are not really long-ranged focused, they are just balanced across the board. If you want long-range, look at ADR-Prime, most Marauder-II variants, Warhawk, etc.

If you think you can contradict my argument then go ahead. Post some proof. I know that most of the MWO media content is proving my point, but maybe you can find something ingenious.Posted Image

View Postdario03, on 31 July 2023 - 05:52 PM, said:

Flea-19 is quirked for lppc. You can only run one but it has a lot of quirks that work for it, and then can add mgs with ammo quirk. Theres also the Commando with 3lppc. None are exactly quirked for it but I ran it on the 1b and while I would like to see it perform a little higher it does work a bit.

Sort of correct! I would not forget SNPPC or med-class laser + lots of MG’s though. However, I also want to see more PPC and large laser representation on lights.

I agree that current commando LPPC build is decent, but not quite excellent. Performs the same as FS9-FS and Anansi, better than ERLL PIR-B or INC-3, but worse than ERML PIR-B in my hands. Gets owned by RVN-2X and ADR-Prime.

#19 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 01:00 AM

View PostCrimsonPhantom6sg062, on 31 July 2023 - 10:47 PM, said:

Does it? Posted Image I don’t see ammo (23 shots or 1667.5 potential damage) or speed (~54km/h) issues with the 2HGR + 6ERSL build. 2HGR + 8ERSL is basically a semi-rocket/ opener build – very effective at blasting holes in enemy lines, and still somewhat useful when all HGR ammo is used up. You shouldn’t be surviving for long time periods with 8ERSL+ESS anyway because that is not how you play this build type – though of course this does NOT mean doing YOLO charges. Actually, now that I built it, 8ERSL+STD Structure isn’t even that slow either (~49km/h). You have an Anni-1X competitor now – 1X is one of the ‘fragile’ IS Annis, the other being the 2A.

Well I wouldn't and don't use ERSL with HGR because ERML range gives that build flexibility and has decent alpha at 400-500 meters, having that and enough ammo means you don't have to YOLO to brawl range or do nothing.

But again I don't see how it is P2W compared to Sleipnir worth mentioning.

#20 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 August 2023 - 05:28 AM

Fire Ant is the flea lppc variant. Mega uber high mounts mean you can fire the lppc and not get any return fire from mechs with middle or low mount weapons. Best high mounts in the game easily.

fle-fa

As to ppc options for your listed lights these have been seriously fun.

pir-a

2.5 second rof on the er ppc com with full cooldown nodes. Just wish the weapon arms had more armor as the stupidly large hitboxes make them easy meat even if you twist between shots.

com-2d

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users