Cool Shot Easy Question

7 replies to this topic

#1 DaChonkin

• PipPip
  • The Ravenous
  • The Ravenous
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 04:54 PM

If I know I'm going to do an Alpha strike can I do a Cool Shot just before or do I have to wait until after?
With my mech setup when I do an Alpha it shuts me down, so I started removing weapons until it didn't shut me down but it still gets really hot.
I'd like to find the happy spot where I can do the Alpha and still be able to run away!
Me thinking all the activity/firing/movement/jetting has me hot to a degree before the Alpha, that's why I ask about the utility in using a Cool Shot just before the Alpha Strike.
Thanks for any opinions.

#2 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 05:07 PM

You can do a coolshot as your shooting, and it will actively push down your heat bar while your heat is trying to push it up.
Will it be enough to prevent you from shutting down? I dunno, depends on how much heat your doing, but try it out in testing grounds.

But what is your mech set up? Are you a bad combination that's causing a crazy amount of ghost heat?
If so, you're probably better off when a different set up.. Coolshots are a 1 time use item.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 10 August 2023 - 05:09 PM.

#3 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 05:33 PM

If you're in something that you want facetanking GH you're boating the hell out of sinks for cap and dissipation (3 CERLL is surprisingly cool as is 3 CLPL, but I'm running that stuff on mechs with at or over 20DHS total)

Coolshots are much better as emergency "I need to push out one more alpha" things or as a Get Out of CXL/LFE ST Loss Heatspike Death Mostly Free card. You get 2 max unless you're a Seraph, spend them wisely.

Edited by the check engine light, 10 August 2023 - 05:33 PM.

#4 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:28 PM

What kind of build you are running and in what mech?

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 12:31 PM

if i got a mech that will flood the heat bar, i usually do this thing where i fire and then immediately hit the coolshot with the override on. your weapons cycle around the time the heat bar clears and you can fire again. you may take some damage the second time (use that new heat damage reduction node in skills), so thats where you manage your heat. even with all the coolshot upgrades, the cooldown can be significantly longer than an engagement. but if you can start the cooldown early in the exchange, you could use the second one for another alpha later on, you just got to roll damage to buy time. the seraph is like that, it can boat four and a stupid alpha (or rather two stupid alphas in separate weapon groups used as a 1-2 punch, both will melt your core like a noob in a nova prime from the ghost heat alone). mostly you are trying to time your coolshot cooldowns so that you can use the next dual-alpha for the coup de grace.

also ghost heat. use quirks and weapon mixes that avoid it whenever possible.

#6 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 01:29 PM

Sounds like a terrible build, or a ghost heat one that needs staggered fire.

Coolshots are not something a build should revolve around, they're a situational boost to sustained damage that cost a lot of credits for new players. Use a better build.

#7 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 13 August 2023 - 05:10 PM

yeah just sounds like your build runs to hot to me. as a rule of thumb i try to keep my alpha heat so that i can get off at bare minimum 2 alphas on a hot map without shut down. (most of my builds are far better than that as i shoot for a 1.40 heat management, 1.30 at the worst. though that is before JJs, L-AMS, or outliers like RACs that just heat scale differently. this isn't exactly meta but it works for me.)

also remember that chain fire is your friend. most of my builds i shoot for 2 fire groups (i have a few one or two with 3 but thats it) with a third maybe set to chain fire the hottest fire group. Override is alright and all but remember that once your heat bar is filled any extra does damage to your structure. i almost never use it myself. i just fire till i get hot then go to chain fire or better yet back off and cool a bit.

others have already mentioned ghost heat (if you don't know already if you look in the upper left area next to the mech name in the mech lab there are icons that pop up. if i remember right the one for ghost heat is a yellow thermometer-like thing. that means one of your weapons is creating ghost heat.)

but yeah s you shouldn't really build around any kind of consumable. they are just a little extra one time boost (i mostly just use the C-Bill UAV, then again i'm an old hat and have more C-bills than i know what to do with.)

***edit, meant upper left not upper right of the screen

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 17 August 2023 - 04:50 AM.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 03:46 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 12 August 2023 - 01:29 PM, said:

Sounds like a terrible build, or a ghost heat one that needs staggered fire.

Coolshots are not something a build should revolve around, they're a situational boost to sustained damage that cost a lot of credits for new players. Use a better build.

they at most buy you a free alpha when you otherwise would have to cool off. but if you only need 2 or 3 shots, and can make them, its pretty much a free kill. they are also nice if you find yourself in a brawl in a vomit build that doesn't brawl well.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users