Optimal Machine Gun Range

21 replies to this topic

Poll: Regular and Heavy Machine Gun Range (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want longer optimal regular and heavy machine gun ranges?

1. YES (3 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. NO (11 votes [78.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mell42

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 01:45 PM

The distance a bullet will travel is determined by the shape of the bullet, the amount of gun powder, the type of powder used, caliber of the bullet, etc.

It makes more sense to me that larger caliber bullets would have longer optimal ranges in some futuristic war setting. Whenever possible you would want a weapon that can out range your opponent.

I am in favour of increasing the optimal range of the machine gun to around 450 ( distance unit ??) and the heavy machine gun to around 550 . The regular and heavy machine guns would likely need adjustments made to the DPS of the weapons for game balance. The weight of the weapons and the amount of ammo per ton might also be needed to be changed for game balance.

EDIT. Changed font to bold to highlight one sentence.

Edited by Mell42, 14 August 2023 - 02:41 PM.

#2 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 11:21 PM

No, DEAR GOD NO, PLEASE NO!!! It would kill the balance instantly, it would be simply unreasonable to run anything other than machineguns in 10x packs. Imagine a no heat, no jam, no travelling time 15 DPS hitscan weapon system with a range of MRM launcher - that's exactly what you are advocating for. As if all these piranhas and craels weren't a big enough problem for everyone else other than themselves, now they wont even need to go close to you to kill you. Range was the ONLY limiting factor MGs ever had, and craels or some other MG boats deal by far too much DPS on close range. Now you want to get this issue 11 times bigger by making MG range compatible with MRMs. It would downright kill the balance, other weapons wont even be needed.

The only way MGs can actually pay enough for more range is with BIG jam chance, BIG heat penalty for boating them and a VERY heavy ammo capacity nerf. Other than that it would just kill the game for everyone except MG boaters.

#3 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 10:05 AM

Machine guns are quite alright the way they stand right now, is anything, I think op wants is anti-personal assault gauss

https://www.sarna.ne..._rifle#Variants

#4 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,962 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 15 August 2023 - 01:43 PM

View Postsimon1812, on 15 August 2023 - 10:05 AM, said:

Machine guns are quite alright the way they stand right now, is anything, I think op wants is anti-personal assault gauss

https://www.sarna.ne..._rifle#Variants
you know Ap guass is clan only? https://www.sarna.ne...nel_Gauss_Rifle

View PostMell42, on 13 August 2023 - 01:45 PM, said:

The distance a bullet will travel is determined by the shape of the bullet, the amount of gun powder, the type of powder used, caliber of the bullet, etc.

It makes more sense to me that larger caliber bullets would have longer optimal ranges in some futuristic war setting. Whenever possible you would want a weapon that can out range your opponent.

I am in favour of increasing the optimal range of the machine gun to around 450 ( distance unit ??) and the heavy machine gun to around 550 . The regular and heavy machine guns would likely need adjustments made to the DPS of the weapons for game balance. The weight of the weapons and the amount of ammo per ton might also be needed to be changed for game balance.

EDIT. Changed font to bold to highlight one sentence.

You know there's a way to do that without changing the gun in anyway, Skill tree...

Edited by KursedVixen, 15 August 2023 - 01:45 PM.

#5 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 02:22 PM

View PostKursedVixen, on 15 August 2023 - 01:43 PM, said:

you know Ap guass is clan only? https://www.sarna.ne...nel_Gauss_Rifle

I know, and the IS has the magshot, so?

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Magshot

Edited by simon1812, 15 August 2023 - 02:35 PM.

#6 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 12:25 PM

Bigger machinegun is absolutely the last thing MWO needs right now. If you want everyone who doesnt have 30-35 rear armor to suddenly and inevitebly lose all their side torsos and equipment from 500-600 meters to backline sneaking MG boat, this is exactly what will cause this. Some LMG boats already can do that with range and RoF quirks and skills, and now you want every MG mech to do that. It will kill the balance completely, its already hard enough to deal with piranhas and craels...

Edited by JumpingHunter, 18 August 2023 - 12:26 PM.

#7 UltraVioletDeath

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 11:11 PM

I like the current separation of range and effect for LMG + HMG, The MG might be just range nerfed to not bother...or possibly ammo mod?

If there is no ROF and I just want to populate, I generally favour the LMG...works with any 300m weapons.

A good ROF = HMG even for the range + tonnage; it's worth it...no brainer, also ammo quirks.

MG?...I am lost on that one, perhaps rare ammo quirks for it specifically might make it the go to in lights...maybe?...or you ran out of tonnage for HMG?...then you can LMG with huge range,..soooo MG?

...or go way off reservation with some rare crazy non ballistic build on what is supposed to be a ballistic build?...I have had a lot of fun with MLX using HLL and no ballistic...love the jets...I was even nicknamed "Blazer" in one match just because I had no guns.

...but if machine guns are an afterthought, then better off with heatsinks and faster engines...or backup on hot builds, where a mountain of heatsinks will do little to save you.

For machine gun builds, the only one I see up for thought is the MG...what would make you drop the range of the LMG?...the damage is too close to LMG to loose that range.

If you try to add range to MG, then that .15 bit more dps could get broken...possibly more ammo to draw loss of range, but how much ammo do you want?...maybe for faction play? or 30min matches?

Edited by UltraVioletDeath, 21 August 2023 - 11:30 PM.

#8 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 11:44 PM

View PostMell42, on 13 August 2023 - 01:45 PM, said:

Have you noticed that BattleTech / MechWarrior Autocannons follow the "caliber / inverted range" rule? Class 20 autocannons have the shortest range and Class 2 autocannons have the longest range. MGs follow the same principle.

#9 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 11:55 PM

View Postmartian, on 21 August 2023 - 11:44 PM, said:

Have you noticed that BattleTech / MechWarrior Autocannons follow the "caliber / inverted range" rule? Class 20 autocannons have the shortest range and Class 2 autocannons have the longest range. MGs follow the same principle.
i wonder what caliber Gauss slugs are.

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 03:15 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 21 August 2023 - 11:55 PM, said:

i wonder what caliber Gauss slugs are.

Gauss Rifle is not Autocannon.

#11 Mell42

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 07:39 PM

REPLY to JumpingHunter

I did an internet search before I posted my suggested feature change. I found out that, as a general rule of thumb, larger calibre bullets have a longer range. I also learned that the shape of the bullet, the amount of gun powder, and the type of powder used affect the range. You can do your own internet search if you don’t believe me.

The longer optimal ranges for the MG (machine gun) and HMG (heavy machine gun) would not make it OP for most mechs because they lack enough ballistic hardpoints to make it a problem. Cauldron members would likely reduce the DPS of the MG and HMG in order to keep the game balanced. Every weapon in the game has both pros and cons. The downside of LMG, MG, and HMG is the face time required to do damage. This leaves the mech more susceptible to receiving damage from an enemy mech.

Craels can be dealt with by destroying the arms, side torso, and legs. Craels can be more of a problem for Tier 5 players because they lack the skill and teamwork to quickly destroy the mech.

I consider Piranhas to be a type of mech that kills my enjoyment of the MWO video game. The mech’s small hitboxes plus the video game’s latency make it difficult to destroy the mech. What makes it worse is Piranhas relatively high damage output for a light mech. The longer optimal ranges for MG and HMG would likely result in a reduction in the DPS for MG and HMG by Cauldron for game balance.

The longer optimal ranges for MG and HMG may make it more likely for a player using a Piranha to attack at a longer distance. Would you rather a Piranha attack your (assault or heavy) mech at a distance or attack the butt of your mech at a near-touching distance? Given a choice, I would rather the Piranha attack from a distance. At least I would have a higher chance of destroying the light mech.

“ Bigger machinegun is absolutely the last thing MWO needs right now. If you want everyone who doesnt have 30-35 rear armor to suddenly and inevitebly lose all their side torsos and equipment from 500-600 meters to backline sneaking MG boat, this is exactly what will cause this. Some LMG boats already can do that with range and RoF quirks and skills, and now you want every MG mech to do that. It will kill the balance completely, its already hard enough to deal with piranhas and craels... “
by JumpingHunter

There are plenty of other weapons in the game that can quickly destroy the rear armour of your mech if you are not careful. I have destroyed assault mechs by attacking the rear armour with lasers and/or SRM using light or medium mechs.

Edited by Mell42, 22 August 2023 - 07:42 PM.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 10:41 PM

View PostMell42, on 22 August 2023 - 07:39 PM, said:

I consider Piranhas to be a type of mech that kills my enjoyment of the MWO video game. The mech’s small hitboxes plus the video game’s latency make it difficult to destroy the mech. What makes it worse is Piranhas relatively high damage output for a light mech. The longer optimal ranges for MG and HMG would likely result in a reduction in the DPS for MG and HMG by Cauldron for game balance.

The longer optimal ranges for MG and HMG may make it more likely for a player using a Piranha to attack at a longer distance. Would you rather a Piranha attack your (assault or heavy) mech at a distance or attack the butt of your mech at a near-touching distance? Given a choice, I would rather the Piranha attack from a distance. At least I would have a higher chance of destroying the light mech.

Piranha is a fragile 'Mech. Your assault or heavy 'Mech can kill or cripple it with one shot, considering the firepower of the current MWO 'Mechs.

Piranha must close within 130 m to use its Machine Guns, so it is an easy target. Your heavy or assault 'Mech typically carries weapons with the effective range that counts often in hundreds of metres.

Piranha can not be equipped with ECM Suite, so it shines on your radar.

#13 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 06:03 AM

View PostMell42, on 22 August 2023 - 07:39 PM, said:

REPLY to JumpingHunter

I did an internet search before I posted my suggested feature change. I found out that, as a general rule of thumb, larger calibre bullets have a longer range. I also learned that the shape of the bullet, the amount of gun powder, and the type of powder used affect the range. You can do your own internet search if you don’t believe me.

The longer optimal ranges for the MG (machine gun) and HMG (heavy machine gun) would not make it OP for most mechs because they lack enough ballistic hardpoints to make it a problem. Cauldron members would likely reduce the DPS of the MG and HMG in order to keep the game balanced. Every weapon in the game has both pros and cons. The downside of LMG, MG, and HMG is the face time required to do damage. This leaves the mech more susceptible to receiving damage from an enemy mech.

Craels can be dealt with by destroying the arms, side torso, and legs. Craels can be more of a problem for Tier 5 players because they lack the skill and teamwork to quickly destroy the mech.

“ Bigger machinegun is absolutely the last thing MWO needs right now. If you want everyone who doesnt have 30-35 rear armor to suddenly and inevitebly lose all their side torsos and equipment from 500-600 meters to backline sneaking MG boat, this is exactly what will cause this. Some LMG boats already can do that with range and RoF quirks and skills, and now you want every MG mech to do that. It will kill the balance completely, its already hard enough to deal with piranhas and craels... “
by JumpingHunter

There are plenty of other weapons in the game that can quickly destroy the rear armour of your mech if you are not careful. I have destroyed assault mechs by attacking the rear armour with lasers and/or SRM using light or medium mechs.

REPLY to Mell42

Thanks for some IRL research that wasn't necessary at all, because every conventional ballistic weapon in BT (conventional means that Gauss Rifles and Rail Guns are excluded) having inverted proportion between caliber and range - the bigger caliber weapon has - the more damage it deals and the less range it has. It is a BALANCING treatment of weapons, NOT just done for whatever reason by BT's original creators from 80s. Imagine AC20 having range of Gauss Rifle or longer simply because it's realistic. Hell, imagine how realistic Lasers that deal more damage than AC10 cannon shell does. Not even talking about PPCs... So don't bring up IRL physics, unless you wan't to also get rid of PPCs, most of lasers, aside from TAGs and maybe Micro Lasers, Gauss Rifles and other things that don't alllign with real life mechanics of various weaponry. Should i mention that MG bullets don't even suppose to deal considerable damage to armor that can withstand multiple strikes of armor-piercing AC20 shots, or gauss rifle bullets? The whole concept of 5.56 bullets dealing more DPS than a specialized armor-priecing heavy weapons to heavily armored targets AT THE SAME RANGE is just wrong from the beginning to the end in terms of realistic weapon behaviour.

Now to machineguns. First off, the face time. You simply ignore the fact that face time is NOT when mech is just standing still and shooting. It's when mech is running around, jumping, WHILE also tracking his target with his weapons. Now remember what you said about piranhas, and combine 2 and 2. If you have small mech with 14 ballistic hardpoints (or how much it has, i dont want to even know exactly) that can run around at 120 KPH, can jump around, have hitboxes smaller than most other mechs (sometimes to the point that projectiles don't deal damage to small enough mechs when they are moving too fast or jumping - and yes, it is PRESENT bug that still exists), and also have enough torso twist speed and angle to keep his crosshair on target while moving quickly, you get a CONSTANT DPS that is not really affected by the increased face time.

Second, machineguns do not get ANY drawbacks for dealing their damage. They do not produce heat, they do not jam, they do not run our of ammo in 90% of the time, unless you literally have your fire trigger pulled the whole match time. Not a single downside. Thanks to PGI i now have a weapon to compare machineguns with: an X-Pulse lasers! X-Pulse lasers, being rather balanced weapons, not only have limited range (like machineguns) but also produce heat, a lot of heat for stream-firing weapons that require face time. And, unlike machineguns, they do not get insane crit damage multiplier, so even if they will strip your armor from back, you won't lose TOO much equipment before you turn around. Plus, they weight a lot more than machineguns.

That was my point - machineguns are NOT punished for dealing constant crit-damaging DPS. And while you are right in that most mechs can't make use of them due to lack of harpoints, there are SOME mechs that are literally build by PGI to boat MGs in large numbers. And THAT is a problem.

Third, you are right, any weapon can strip your rear armor in one or two shots, or in just a second, if it's RAC or X-Pulse array. However, machineguns not only deal overwhelmingly more crit damage than most other weapons, they also do not have any drawback for doing so. So stripped rear armor agaunst light mech boating maachineguns means death in about 2-3 seconds even for mechs like Atlas. Unless you have someone to back you up or wall to stick to, meaning that now game LITERALLY require either second mech to deal with fast light MG boat, or giving up your torso twisting ability as a whole, simply to not get 50 crits in your back. Just think about it - it takes 2 heavily armored mechs to deal with just light 25-ton mech boating usual 5.56 or 7.62 armaments, at the range where in TT any of attacked mechs would literally kick the sh!t out of the light mech and broke his legs. yet here in MWO sometimes we can't break his legs at all because they dont receive damage. And now, instead of making MGs more of a finisher type of weapon for damaged targets, you opt for making them a viable sniping weapon. A non-heating, non-jamming hitscan mid-range sniping weapon that weights 0.25 tons and comes in 10-14 packs on one light mech. Amazing. That would get rid of last chances of dealing with MG boat by breaking it's legs, because now it would sit at somewhere around 400-500 meters and snipe safely, dealing more crits that every other players on server combined.

My suggestion is to make MGs unable to deal damage to armor, only damaging structure, OR give them a considerable chance of considerably long jam, considerable heat and decreased ammo values in one-ton ammo bin. THEN it will be much more ok to increase their range. Otherwise it's just too powerful for 5.56 bullets.

Sorry if tone of reply is angry, but it's very frustrating to have to defend the common sense arguments in the face of someone basically saying "i wanna my dps buzz saw being able to reach something at 400 meters because i just want to". For now light MG boats take unbelievably low skill to use effectively, compared to any other mech in MWO. It's not hard to run in someone's back if you have ECM, smallest hitboxes and size in game and 120 or more KPH of speed. Range of machineguns is also a skill-requiring factor, pilots have to know how to get out of someone's face if they got caught. Increaseing MG range will get that last bit of skill-requirement from the mech, making something like piranha literally a noob weapon. Would have said that i didn't mean any offense to piranha pilots, but sometimes i actually do mean to offend them, thats how annoying and common they are.

EDIT: Forgot about Craels, you are in your right on this topic, they are dealable with. However the fact that a bunch of machineguns are EXPECTED to be used in similar fashion as some actual mech weapons like ACs, heavier lasers and missle launchers are just so god damn stupid. It was supposed to be anti-personnel weapon, yet PGI forgot to get the personnel that MGs were designed to deal with into the game, and now we have to live with that abomination of a mech that crael is. It's not overpowered, i agree, at least when it's not in groups of 4 and literally melting mechs in seconds, but it's very annoying nontheless.

Edited by JumpingHunter, 25 August 2023 - 06:26 AM.

#14 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 06:48 AM

View Postmartian, on 22 August 2023 - 03:15 AM, said:

Gauss Rifle is not Autocannon.
doesn't change that it uses a projectile it's still a "slug thrower" the 'slug' still has a diameter.

Edited by KursedVixen, 25 August 2023 - 06:49 AM.

#15 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 07:05 AM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 25 August 2023 - 06:03 AM, said:

REPLY to Mell42

Thanks for some IRL research that wasn't necessary at all, because every conventional ballistic weapon in BT (conventional means that Gauss Rifles and Rail Guns are excluded) having inverted proportion between caliber and range - the bigger caliber weapon has - the more damage it deals and the less range it has. It is a BALANCING treatment of weapons, NOT just done for whatever reason by BT's original creators from 80s. Imagine AC20 having range of Gauss Rifle or longer simply because it's realistic. Hell, imagine how realistic Lasers that deal more damage than AC10 cannon shell does. Not even talking about PPCs... So don't bring up IRL physics, unless you wan't to also get rid of PPCs, most of lasers, aside from TAGs and maybe Micro Lasers, Gauss Rifles and other things that don't alllign with real life mechanics of various weaponry. Should i mention that MG bullets don't even suppose to deal considerable damage to armor that can withstand multiple strikes of armor-piercing AC20 shots, or gauss rifle bullets? The whole concept of 5.56 bullets dealing more DPS than a specialized armor-priecing heavy weapons to heavily armored targets AT THE SAME RANGE is just wrong from the beginning to the end in terms of realistic weapon behaviour.

Now to machineguns. First off, the face time. You simply ignore the fact that face time is NOT when mech is just standing still and shooting. It's when mech is running around, jumping, WHILE also tracking his target with his weapons. Now remember what you said about piranhas, and combine 2 and 2. If you have small mech with 14 ballistic hardpoints (or how much it has, i dont want to even know exactly) that can run around at 120 KPH, can jump around, have hitboxes smaller than most other mechs (sometimes to the point that projectiles don't deal damage to small enough mechs when they are moving too fast or jumping - and yes, it is PRESENT bug that still exists), and also have enough torso twist speed and angle to keep his crosshair on target while moving quickly, you get a CONSTANT DPS that is not really affected by the increased face time.

Second, machineguns do not get ANY drawbacks for dealing their damage. They do not produce heat, they do not jam, they do not run our of ammo in 90% of the time, unless you literally have your fire trigger pulled the whole match time. Not a single downside. Thanks to PGI i now have a weapon to compare machineguns with: an X-Pulse lasers! X-Pulse lasers, being rather balanced weapons, not only have limited range (like machineguns) but also produce heat, a lot of heat for stream-firing weapons that require face time. And, unlike machineguns, they do not get insane crit damage multiplier, so even if they will strip your armor from back, you won't lose TOO much equipment before you turn around. Plus, they weight a lot more than machineguns.

That was my point - machineguns are NOT punished for dealing constant crit-damaging DPS. And while you are right in that most mechs can't make use of them due to lack of harpoints, there are SOME mechs that are literally build by PGI to boat MGs in large numbers. And THAT is a problem.

Third, you are right, any weapon can strip your rear armor in one or two shots, or in just a second, if it's RAC or X-Pulse array. However, machineguns not only deal overwhelmingly more crit damage than most other weapons, they also do not have any drawback for doing so. So stripped rear armor agaunst light mech boating maachineguns means death in about 2-3 seconds even for mechs like Atlas. Unless you have someone to back you up or wall to stick to, meaning that now game LITERALLY require either second mech to deal with fast light MG boat, or giving up your torso twisting ability as a whole, simply to not get 50 crits in your back. Just think about it - it takes 2 heavily armored mechs to deal with just light 25-ton mech boating usual 5.56 or 7.62 armaments, at the range where in TT any of attacked mechs would literally kick the sh!t out of the light mech and broke his legs. yet here in MWO sometimes we can't break his legs at all because they dont receive damage. And now, instead of making MGs more of a finisher type of weapon for damaged targets, you opt for making them a viable sniping weapon. A non-heating, non-jamming hitscan mid-range sniping weapon that weights 0.25 tons and comes in 10-14 packs on one light mech. Amazing. That would get rid of last chances of dealing with MG boat by breaking it's legs, because now it would sit at somewhere around 400-500 meters and snipe safely, dealing more crits that every other players on server combined.

My suggestion is to make MGs unable to deal damage to armor, only damaging structure, OR give them a considerable chance of considerably long jam, considerable heat and decreased ammo values in one-ton ammo bin. THEN it will be much more ok to increase their range. Otherwise it's just too powerful for 5.56 bullets.

Sorry if tone of reply is angry, but it's very frustrating to have to defend the common sense arguments in the face of someone basically saying "i wanna my dps buzz saw being able to reach something at 400 meters because i just want to". For now light MG boats take unbelievably low skill to use effectively, compared to any other mech in MWO. It's not hard to run in someone's back if you have ECM, smallest hitboxes and size in game and 120 or more KPH of speed. Range of machineguns is also a skill-requiring factor, pilots have to know how to get out of someone's face if they got caught. Increaseing MG range will get that last bit of skill-requirement from the mech, making something like piranha literally a noob weapon. Would have said that i didn't mean any offense to piranha pilots, but sometimes i actually do mean to offend them, thats how annoying and common they are.

EDIT: Forgot about Craels, you are in your right on this topic, they are dealable with. However the fact that a bunch of machineguns are EXPECTED to be used in similar fashion as some actual mech weapons like ACs, heavier lasers and missle launchers are just so god damn stupid. It was supposed to be anti-personnel weapon, yet PGI forgot to get the personnel that MGs were designed to deal with into the game, and now we have to live with that abomination of a mech that crael is. It's not overpowered, i agree, at least when it's not in groups of 4 and literally melting mechs in seconds, but it's very annoying nontheless.
How about we not make MG's totally useless? They are fine as they are, they have always been zero heat guns unless you want to constantly see people overheat, Mg's should remain where they are their range should stay where they are.

You speak of the piranha but you clearly have never piloted one, a solid shot from a large autocannon or laser can severely damage a piranha to the point that you will not want to get hit again, The piranha 1 has 12 machine guns and 3 laser spots and hardly any tonnage for anything and requires external heat sinks due to it's 180 engine. you cannot carry enough ammo for a whole match let alone 12 mechs worth of going through armor..... also i'd like to note the piranha DOES NOT have jump
jets. also there's one more down side to running a piranha. THE COCKPIT VIEW IS HORRIBLE YOUR TUNNEL VISIONED PRACTICALLY

Posted Image

Edited by KursedVixen, 25 August 2023 - 07:06 AM.

#16 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 07:50 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 25 August 2023 - 07:05 AM, said:

How about we not make MG's totally useless? They are fine as they are, they have always been zero heat guns unless you want to constantly see people overheat, Mg's should remain where they are their range should stay where they are.

You speak of the piranha but you clearly have never piloted one, a solid shot from a large autocannon or laser can severely damage a piranha to the point that you will not want to get hit again, The piranha 1 has 12 machine guns and 3 laser spots and hardly any tonnage for anything and requires external heat sinks due to it's 180 engine. you cannot carry enough ammo for a whole match let alone 12 mechs worth of going through armor..... also i'd like to note the piranha DOES NOT have jump
jets. also there's one more down side to running a piranha. THE COCKPIT VIEW IS HORRIBLE YOUR TUNNEL VISIONED PRACTICALLY

Posted Image

You are right, making MGs useless is absolutely not what i want, i don't want any weapons to be useless. But how about we also not make MGs a viable mid-range DPS weapon? I agree, MGs are tolerable in their current state, but it doesn't mean that they are perfectly balanced. It's an anti-personnel weapon that is for some reason a viable competitor to weapons like AC20 or other large and heavy weaponry, and it makes no sensem, regardless of MGs being balanced around this or completely OP.

As for piranhas, you are right, i did not pilot it, but i see them a lot as enemies or as teammates, and i speak about them from my experience of fighting with and against them. Ok, it doesn't have jump jets, thats good to know. Ok, it doesn't have best heat management in the game, thats good to know too. Ok, it does have not whole much of armor and structure, on paper, thats great. Do these facts make it look and feel less overpowered and annoying when it drills through literally any mech without taking much damage? No, they do not. The very fact that machineguns, instead of being a finishing tool, or a weak but basically free tonnage and crit space fillers that can deal some damage to opened structure, being forcefully dragged into competiting with LARGE ANTI-ARMOR SPECIFIC WEAPONS is not right, not matter how much balancing and polishing they or mechs that are suppose to carry them in large numbers would get.

Edited by JumpingHunter, 29 August 2023 - 07:50 AM.

#17 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 07:54 AM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 29 August 2023 - 07:50 AM, said:

You are right, making MGs useless is absolutely not what i want, i don't want any weapons to be useless. But how about we also not make MGs a viable mid-range DPS weapon? I agree, MGs are tolerable in their current state, but it doesn't mean that they are perfectly balanced. It's an anti-personnel weapon that is for some reason a viable competitor to weapons like AC20 or other large and heavy weaponry, and it makes no sensem, regardless of MGs being balanced around this or completely OP. As for piranhas, you are right, i did not pilot it, but i see them a lot as enemies or as teammates, and i speak about them from my experience of fighting with and against them. Ok, it doesn't have jump jets, thats good to know. Ok, it doesn't have best heat management in the game, thats good to know too. Ok, it does have not whole much of armor and structure, on paper, thats great. Do these facts make it look and feel less overpowered and annoying when it drills through literally any mech without taking much damage? No, they do not. The very fact that machineguns, instead of being a finishing tool, or a weak but basically free tonnage and crit space fillers that can deal some damage to opened structure, being forcefully dragged into competiting with LARGE ANTI-ARMOR SPECIFIC WEAPONS is not right, not matter how much balancing and polishing they or mechs that are suppose to carry them in large numbers would get.
stuff happens or your a bad pilot and no pirahna's do not have bad heat managment they carry such a small engine that you have to have more heat sinks... it's a thing with smaller engines not having 10 heat sinks which you require...

#18 Mell42

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 10:41 AM

REPLY TO MARTIN

“Piranha is a fragile 'Mech. Your assault or heavy 'Mech can kill or cripple it with one shot, considering the firepower of the current MWO 'Mechs.”
By Martin

True, the Piranha has low armor and can be killed or crippled with one shot. The problem is the small hit boxes of 20-ton mechs and latency. You can have perfect aim with your weapon, and whether or not it does anything depends on the latency and the size of the hit box of the enemy mech.

I remember one match I had in MWO in particular. I had alpha strike the rear armor of an assault mech while close enough to almost touch the other mech. It did nothing. About one or two seconds later, my mech got teleported to another part of the map, where I promptly got destroyed. I remember the player of the enemy assault mech had a really high Ping. My Ping for North American servers is about 65.

Latency becomes much more of a problem when a mech has small hit boxes. The piranha has small hit boxes. I have never had any problems destroying light mechs in single player games where latency is not an issue, such as Mechwarrior 3, Mechwarrior 4, and Mechwarrior 5.

“Piranha must close within 130 m to use its Machine Guns, so it is an easy target. Your heavy or assault 'Mech typically carries weapons with the effective range that counts often in hundreds of metres.”
by Martin

Piranha mech is not an easy target when used by a skilled player. Plus latency and small hit boxes increases the difficulty of targeting the light mech. It does not matter if it has no ECM and you can see the mech perfectly on radar. You also have to consider that many assault mechs have poor agility, making it more difficult to target a fast mech. One of the safest places for a piranha to attack is an isolated assault mech butt at near touching distance. The most dangerous part for a piranha is getting near the (assault) mech.

The MG and HMG having longer optimal ranges would make MWO a bit more realistic. I would consider the reduction of the dps for machine guns and heavy machine guns an acceptable trade-off for increased optimal range.

Edited by Mell42, 03 September 2023 - 10:44 AM.

#19 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 10:53 AM

View PostMell42, on 03 September 2023 - 10:41 AM, said:

REPLY TO MARTIN

“Piranha is a fragile 'Mech. Your assault or heavy 'Mech can kill or cripple it with one shot, considering the firepower of the current MWO 'Mechs.”
By Martin

True, the Piranha has low armor and can be killed or crippled with one shot. The problem is the small hit boxes of 20-ton mechs and latency. You can have perfect aim with your weapon, and whether or not it does anything depends on the latency and the size of the hit box of the enemy mech.

I remember one match I had in MWO in particular. I had alpha strike the rear armor of an assault mech while close enough to almost touch the other mech. It did nothing. About one or two seconds later, my mech got teleported to another part of the map, where I promptly got destroyed. I remember the player of the enemy assault mech had a really high Ping. My Ping for North American servers is about 65.

Latency becomes much more of a problem when a mech has small hit boxes. The piranha has small hit boxes. I have never had any problems destroying light mechs in single player games where latency is not an issue, such as Mechwarrior 3, Mechwarrior 4, and Mechwarrior 5.

“Piranha must close within 130 m to use its Machine Guns, so it is an easy target. Your heavy or assault 'Mech typically carries weapons with the effective range that counts often in hundreds of metres.”
by Martin

Piranha mech is not an easy target when used by a skilled player. Plus latency and small hit boxes increases the difficulty of targeting the light mech. It does not matter if it has no ECM and you can see the mech perfectly on radar. You also have to consider that many assault mechs have poor agility, making it more difficult to target a fast mech. One of the safest places for a piranha to attack is an isolated assault mech butt at near touching distance. The most dangerous part for a piranha is getting near the (assault) mech.

The MG and HMG having longer optimal ranges would make MWO a bit more realistic. I would consider the reduction of the dps for machine guns and heavy machine guns an acceptable trade-off for increased optimal range.
Locust.

#20 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 03:34 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 03 September 2023 - 10:53 AM, said:

Locust.

Unlike piranha, locust is NOT a problem, because it doesn't mount insufrable number of machineguns or other weapons. It's light, it's fast, but it's not unlogically overgunned. Locust can abuse his hitboxes, speed and latency too, but you don't see locusts take down several assault mechs nearly as commonly as you see piranhas do that.

Plus, locust's Center and Side Torsos are much more wide than piranha's ones. If you shoot locust in torso, you will most likely hit something, because the whole torso block is wide enough to register a hit, while piranha's torsos are much thinner and have much more chances of completely avoiding taking damage due to lag compensation, latency and it's speed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users