So This New Law Almost Bans Mwo In This State.

19 replies to this topic

#1 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 18 August 2023 - 12:25 PM

i mean it might as well.

this should be especially concerning to any company that makes video games with guns or even toy manufactureres.

Edited by KursedVixen, 18 August 2023 - 12:27 PM.

#2 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 August 2023 - 02:59 PM

When I read the title I immediately thought it was either California or Illinois. Both of those states are passing insane legislation that removes the rights of citizens to protect themselves and simultaneously decriminalizing actual criminal behavior. It's almost like the leadership of those states want them to fall into civil chaos.

#3 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 03:42 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 18 August 2023 - 02:59 PM, said:

When I read the title I immediately thought it was either California or Illinois. Both of those states are passing insane legislation that removes the rights of citizens to protect themselves and simultaneously decriminalizing actual criminal behavior. It's almost like the leadership of those states want them to fall into civil chaos.
What's worse is this just doesn't apply to Illinois but also any buisness coming into Illinois. so yes this could possibly effect MWO and make tt banned IN Illinois and Mechwarrior 5, halo and any modern shooter game.

Edited by KursedVixen, 18 August 2023 - 03:43 PM.

#4 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 August 2023 - 04:42 PM

My take is that this will be taken to court and the long slog through injunctions and kicking it up the chain to the supreme court starts. Sadly this can take years to fully play out. However as far as banning playing games online they would have to be able to track your internet usage and that falls under a completely different set of federal laws that have supremacy over any state law so not really seeing it go that far. They might declare its illegal but enforcing it would be another matter completely.

#5 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 11:11 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 18 August 2023 - 04:42 PM, said:

My take is that this will be taken to court and the long slog through injunctions and kicking it up the chain to the supreme court starts. Sadly this can take years to fully play out. However as far as banning playing games online they would have to be able to track your internet usage and that falls under a completely different set of federal laws that have supremacy over any state law so not really seeing it go that far. They might declare its illegal but enforcing it would be another matter completely.
sue the company that makes the game unless they somehow geo lock it out of Illinois until the law is struck down.

it's the same thing they do with guns... so..... why not with games and other products?

Edited by KursedVixen, 18 August 2023 - 11:56 PM.

#6 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:48 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 18 August 2023 - 11:11 PM, said:

sue the company that makes the game unless they somehow geo lock it out of Illinois until the law is struck down.

it's the same thing they do with guns... so..... why not with games and other products?

Thats a legal quagmire though. I can't think of a single case that blamed video games for violence that has ultimately succeeded and this is such an out there law I'm not even sure a judge would accept it in the first place. Just because a state legislature passes something does not mean its enforceable. Most of the crazy stuff thats been passes is already under intense legal attack. It's just that as I said earlier this stuff takes time to work its way up the chain. Plus ultimately if the companies being sued are not even based in that state there isn't really anything the state can do even if they somehow get a ruling in their favor unless they open a completely new can of legal worms. It's all completely unworkable this is just the state legislature committing political suicide because their insane base who voted them in have left them no choice. Same with the leadership of Chicago. Ultimately these states and cities are getting what they voted for so let them stew in their own ballot box. The other 48 states seem not quite as intent on self destructing.

Edited by Meep Meep, 19 August 2023 - 04:44 AM.

#7 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:54 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 19 August 2023 - 02:48 AM, said:

Thats a legal quagmire though. I can't think of a single case that blamed video games for violence that has ultimately succeeded and this is such an out there law I'm not even sure a judge would accept it in the first place. Just because a state legislature passes something does not mean its enforceable. Most of the crazy stuff thats been passes is already under intense legal attack. It's just that as I said earlier this stuff takes time to work its way up the chain. Plus ultimately if the companies being sued are not even based in that state there isn't really anything the state can do even if they somehow get a ruling in their favor unless they open a completely new can of legal worms. It's all completely unworkable this is just the state legislature committing political suicide because their insane base who voted them in have left them no choice. Same with the leadership of Chicago. Ultimately these states and cities are getting what they voted for so let them stew in their own ballot box. The other 48 states seem not quite as intent on self destructing.
48.5 you forget portland... I'm just weary of this causing issues, as they are trying to sue gun and gun part manufactuerers for other peoples misuse of guns..

#8 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 10:23 AM

Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and H-bombs.

If they try to enforce expect Supreme Court action in a year or so.

#9 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 05:42 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 20 August 2023 - 10:23 AM, said:

Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and H-bombs.

If they try to enforce expect Supreme Court action in a year or so.
I said almost ,but i'm 100% sure this would apply if they go that far. yeah well what are people going to do during that year??

#10 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 08:45 PM

View PostKursedVixen, on 20 August 2023 - 05:42 PM, said:

I said almost ,but i'm 100% sure this would apply if they go that far. yeah well what are people going to do during that year??

Break a stupid law.

Really. Enforcement on this is going to be so stupid hard at the user side that they'll try and pressure people further up that chain, and that will 1. go to Supreme Court and 2. we've actually had multiple fights in this vein thanks to multiple scolds on both sides re: music, D&D, video games (**** you Tipper Gore, **** you Joe Lieberman, **** you whoever the **** started the Satanic Panic etc.) and every time it's happened in the US a concession was made like rating systems and people realized these were so stupid and pointless that the regulations imposed upon sellers and users by these get flouted and worked around constantly. With online service it could become slightly trickier as ISPs come into the picture and ISPs are evil pieces of ****. VPNs are ******* magic, btw.

Edited by the check engine light, 21 August 2023 - 10:39 AM.

#11 RookClayBard

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:07 PM

whats sad is in not the stripping fothe right to bear arms is likely to cause revolt , its the taking away of entertament . - as it frees up time .

but over all , seriously , America is either gonna get invaded or over throne , the only thing keeping us outa out right war is , the other watching how weak we may get before they invade .

all from with in

betrayers , so many , why must people seek so avidly to destroy what is good ?

#12 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 November 2023 - 12:41 AM

Because evil never sleeps while good men do nothing. It's how evil keep coming back over and over.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 10:54 AM

View PostRookClayBard, on 12 November 2023 - 08:07 PM, said:

whats sad is in not the stripping fothe right to bear arms is likely to cause revolt , its the taking away of entertament . - as it frees up time .

but over all , seriously , America is either gonna get invaded or over throne , the only thing keeping us outa out right war is , the other watching how weak we may get before they invade .

all from with in

betrayers , so many , why must people seek so avidly to destroy what is good ?

were more likely to suffer a coup. we almost had one recently, and the current administration is no better. america is situated in the world such that it is geographically isolated from anyone who could be a serious threat and what threats there are have a lot to lose from a direct exchange which would almost certainly be nuclear. internal threats are a bigger issue. but were still free to vote for either right wing authoritarianism or left wing authoritarianism.

View PostMeep Meep, on 13 November 2023 - 12:41 AM, said:

Because evil never sleeps while good men do nothing. It's how evil keep coming back over and over.

sometimes im not sure if they are evil or just plain stupid.

in either case, clean up the zombies before you shut off the lights.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 November 2023 - 10:57 AM.

#14 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 November 2023 - 03:25 PM

What part of it do you object to?

https://www.ilga.gov...p?Name=103-0559

#15 An Actual Walrus

• Pip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 05:12 AM

View PostEscef, on 15 November 2023 - 03:25 PM, said:

What part of it do you object to?

https://www.ilga.gov...p?Name=103-0559

They didn't read it, they're just here to complain.

#16 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 November 2023 - 07:36 AM

Yeah, I can't see where this applies to a video game, not unless playing a video game encourages minors to go out and illegally acquire firearms... which I gotta say Battletech has never done for me.

1994 called, they want their hysteria back.

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 12:55 PM

View PostAn Actual Walrus, on 16 November 2023 - 05:12 AM, said:

They didn't read it, they're just here to complain.

you know how much legislation i read when the marijuana legalization came through in our state. i had to vote 3 times. petitions. it was an arduous process. passed in the state and almost immediately there were people trying to block it locally (people i knew personally), and we had 2 local votes both of which passed. and now im free to buy weed from the little old lady down town between the laundry mat and the flower shop.

#18 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 12:15 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 16 November 2023 - 07:36 AM, said:

Yeah, I can't see where this applies to a video game, not unless playing a video game encourages minors to go out and illegally acquire firearms... which I gotta say Battletech has never done for me.

1994 called, they want their hysteria back.
clearly you don't remember when parents said violent. video games cause violence.

Also I like how none of you posted in this untill 3 MONTHS LATER, why you commenting now?

#19 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 November 2023 - 09:34 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 17 November 2023 - 12:15 AM, said:

clearly you don't remember when parents said violent. video games cause violence.

Also I like how none of you posted in this untill 3 MONTHS LATER, why you commenting now?

You didn't answer the query: What part of it do you object to?

I even linked to a copy of the legislation. You've got the document right there to reference.

Or... Maybe you could admit that you had no idea what the legislation did or didn't say, and you simply believed that the YouTube channel was relating facts to you. In which case, you would then have to contrast their message with what the legislation actually says, and decide if you still trusted that channel.

To be frank, a cursory look at the legislation seems to indicate to me that the channel is not trustworthy. And your post title is hyperbolic reactionary-ism.

And your reaction to being asked to square this circle is... "Gee, what took you guys so long to say anything about the BS I posted?" It's like, are you just looking for attention? Is that it? And now that you've got some, you're going to whine about how long it took? Most of us outgrew that kind of behavior before we got to double digit years in age. In your profile you claim to be in your early 30s, so why are you acting like this? Aren't you too old for this sh*t?

#20 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 19 November 2023 - 02:29 PM

Given that there's a reference in my sig file to playing Battletech since 1985, I most certainly do remember it. Do you recall the names of the Congress critters? I was old enough to vote then.

A, you didn't answer the question.
B, I'll answer this one... I didn't log into the forum at all for several months. Once I came back, i saw this gem, which essentially amounts to a concerned citizen (you) falling for someone's hyberbolic YouTube click bait and supporting them in a conclusion that is not borne out by the wording of the bill that another poster so helpfully provided us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users