Small Buff For Thanatos

3 replies to this topic

#1 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:14 AM

I didn't find a proper place for mech balancing ideas, so i guess i can post it here.

Thanatos isn't very popular nowadays (aside from obvious 2xGauss + ECM and Stealth Armor), and it wasn't popular in the past either, and that's because it both lacks quirks and have FAR too big hitboxes for his level of armor. I like this mech, it's an interesting design and it's kind of almost good, but when you pilot it you either get too slow to perform your role as a skirmishing mech, too undergunned for a close-mid range fighter, or too underarmored for any role a 75-tonner can fulfill, ESPECIALLY with XL engine, as your side torsos are as big as broad side of a barn.

So i think Thanatos should get a small buff, just something that would push him into the "good mech" category from "average ok-ish" state that he is in now.

I'm thinking about either increased side torsos and arms armor, about +15 for STs and +10 for arms, OR decent Jump Jet quirks, like more initial thrust or more burn time or faster lift speed, OR +7,5% top speed increase.

The former buff will lead Thanatos to be more fitting as a proper 75-tonner, and would make his actual stock builds much more tolerable, because XL engine will be less risky to use in that mech.

And the latter 2 buffs instead will push him more into the fast skirmisher/flanker category, so Thanatos would be able to traverse map easier, will be able to use his underarmored legs for damage spreading thanks for JJs and in general will increase his mobidlity.

Personally i would like JJ quirks on Thanatos much more because it was always ment to be an IS equivalent of Thor (Summoner), and Summoner is incredibly mobile for a 70 tonner, so giving thanatos a bit more mobility would be very very cool. Same goes for the +7.5% speed buff, Thanatos just spends FAR too much tonnage on big engines to get decent weaponry, if it could squeeze a bit more speed from smaller engines it would help mech a lot.

If somebody know where i should have posted this suggestion instead of in "Feature Suggestions" please tell me.

#2 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:15 AM

NO, have you even seen the stealth thanatos that carries dual guass?

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:28 AM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 28 August 2023 - 06:14 AM, said:

So i think Thanatos should get a small buff, just something that would push him into the "good mech" category from "average ok-ish" state that he is in now.

I like your suggestion, but I think that the Thanatos (outside its Gauss Rifle sniping build) would need not a small buff, but massive armor buff to make it truly survivable.

Since the latest patch, firepower dominates massively over armor.

#4 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 03:26 AM

View Postmartian, on 28 August 2023 - 07:28 AM, said:

I like your suggestion, but I think that the Thanatos (outside its Gauss Rifle sniping build) would need not a small buff, but massive armor buff to make it truly survivable.

Since the latest patch, firepower dominates massively over armor.

Yes, i agree, i dropped all my thanatos piloting attempts recently as it was FAR too frustrating to start fighting and then get side torso burned down in 2 seconds by 4 Blazers. It should get a BIG armor buff, but i still would love to see JJ quirks on top of that. I generally think that mechs with good amount of JJs will kind of increase mech's tankiness by allowing it to use legs for taking damage, or just outright dodging it. But ST armor buff is the number 1 priority for that poor mech.

View PostKursedVixen, on 28 August 2023 - 06:15 AM, said:

NO, have you even seen the stealth thanatos that carries dual guass?

This is a meta-slaving exception that trades all Thanatos's treats that make this mech unique for the ability to safely abuse sniper weapons. I didn't take it in consideration.

Edited by JumpingHunter, 31 August 2023 - 03:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users