100% Starfield Review By Mortismal Gaming

13 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 07:32 AM

"Talking about Starfield after a thorough run of the title via a review copy from Bethesda quite a bit in advance. As long as this review is, I deliberately left out a lot of stuff that would've constituted spoilers."

PC Specs: Motherboard: Asus Prime Z790-P Processor: Intel i9-13900k RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 (MSI Gaming Trio)

Starfield: Review After 100% - YouTube

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 September 2023 - 12:07 PM

From all the other reviews its looking like if you ~don't~ have a current i9 and 4090 expect pretty terrible performance even at 1080p low settings.

This is going to be another cyberbug type launch...

#3 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 10:07 AM

I have an RX6700XT, Ryzen 5600, 32GB DDR4 3600, Sata-SSD EVO 870 and it plays well on 4k with the automatic settings on medium at around 50 to 60 FPS.

Medium means FSR is at 50% scaling up to 4k.

I disabled only motion blurr bcs i dislike it very much.

What i really hate in this game is the console controls and menu which as a PC user is such an inconvenient hassle!

Yeah, the game has quite big areas but also many loadscreens and space travel is loadscreentravel.
New Atlantis has 3 or 4 citylayers that are seperated by loadscreens and als quite a few rooms/apartments.
In that regard it is Morrowind in Space...

The gunplay seems to be funplay so far and weapons have many modifications as well as rpg-skills enhance the weapons damageoutput.

The spaceflight though is confusing and imho not well done...

The Tutorial into the game is basic and misses out a great deal of stuff you need later...

Screenhints are not displayed long enough.

But performancewise 8 hours into the game if you do not expect FPS in the hundreds but around 60 or so it does well and still looks good.

Some places ofc are more colourfull and vibrant than others that apear visually stale and almost monochrome.

In the end i tend to feel this game will thrive on expansions, dlcs, mods and become a great GOTY at some point but they really need to look into these console-controlls and the spaceflight!

So far, oposite to the Outer World i tried back then, this game has entertained me a good way!
(Its probably helpful if you like the SF and RPG genre like me)

#4 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 05:44 PM

Good ole Macks rant about the game:
Starfield Review - This game is a disaster! - YouTube

More often than not i agree with his opinions - this time mostly not.

He does not get that it is more a RPG than a Shooter, which means more depending on how you skill your Avatar is as much as important as your player skills - the game is way more than a looter shooter.

I disagree completely with the bad quests - i have yet to find one that is bad.
So far the NPC questgivers and quests have entertaining adventuring - maybe he did not find them bcs they are not telegraphed like in Skyrim but you overheer a well written rather complex conversation that pops up near you and realize "oh man, that gives a quest probably".

The game looks good to me and you can make very well manly looking male avatars as i have done successfully.

The gunplay is funplay and i like it depends also on your rpg skill choice!

I agree it has to many loading screens - that is a mild annoyance and hardly a gamebreaker.

I agree the space combat so far i have experienced it which is still very early in the game leaves me unimpressed!

So i mostly disagree with him but yeah, in the end it probably depends very much on your personal taste for games if and how much you like it.

And i guess his PC sucks if he really still plays on a 20s series RTX GPU so that may sit wrong in his throat as well...

But nevertheless i like it when he gets enraged and slams his bell spitting out doomsayings Posted Image

PS: In regard to the quest block by missing Lockpicking skills - i have not had such a quest yet, where it was above my skills but i am under the impression that is what your companions are for if they have the necessary skillset they will help you out.
(But i have no personal proof of that so far as i was not in such a situation yet...)

PPS: And if you play Starfield and make yourself the Avatar you want the game offers even two walking styles one which is probably more male and one that is more female.

Edited by Thorqemada, 02 September 2023 - 06:21 PM.

#5 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 01:03 PM

And good ole Mack rambles on:
Starfield - What I think went wrong - YouTube

Yeah, i guess this despite having some basic truths in it is a heavy case of missed expectations and rose coloured glasses of the past.

Some of the elements that make a game a rpg are more than simply some character stats - exactly a conversation between NPCs is true rpg.

Making WOW a glorious example of the good past fails so hardly bcs all the gamers do is instance hopping - the open world is outside of events virtually deserted.

Saying Fallout 4 is a better rpg is so way off - Fallout 4 is in fact the gloryfied looter shooter instead of Starfield but it is true, Starfiled has the better loot also on top of being a better rpg.

I found a spacesuit with chameleon ability that renders you almost invisible when crouched and not moing giving you a huge boost to stealth/sneak gameplay.

The weapons, the clothing, the equipment have huge differences depending on how they are modified and you find them a plenty.

The only critique i would agree is that he Spaceflight took the short straw, the Spacecombat lacks a good radar and is void of player skill as it is simply who can blast the other to pieces first via better weapons and better armor/shields.
Yeah, you get a missile income warning for example but you dont know from where it comes and how far it is away etc.

Still early in the game, i started anew today so i would go thourgh the introduction a second time learning a little more this time i lost a gue amount of money bcs the ******* UI making me mistaking selling and buying.
But yeah, it helped a little and i have a better understanding of some things now.

Explored a Planet (rather a Ice-Moon) ti hundred percent which took a while the Boxed/Instances are quite big at foot and found some factory construction outpost that offered me 3 tasks to kill Pirates (2 on Ground 1 in Space) which was no big trouble as i was sure it was in my level range.

While i was there on the surface on a few different instances several Sapceships landed and i met friendly and hostile people.
Some i saved giving them Water as their had lost their Fright and all Water due to a Pirate attack.

Some i killed like the Eclipse Mercenaries who kill first and never ask, sadly the Ship took of b4 i reached it but the Pirates of the Crimson Fleet where not so lucky and i captured it, now i have a little less cargospace but 19LY of range.
I think the Ship Type is called Phantom but i am not sure.

Yeah, after that i died when i tried to deliver a package a disabled spacecourier asked me to deliver to Neon and on an intermediary Jump i got a distress call i answered and that led me into a fight with 3 Spacer Ships that got me down so fast i feel i am way below the point where i can face them.

I will try i one more time and i have not figured out yet if you are able to flee spacecombat, i think i will google for that, the game really does not tell you much about many of its mechanics.

I still hang at that little quest to inspect my ships cargo and i have not found out how to finish that and have now read you need to grab the topmost item direct out of the ship inventory without getting into the character menu.
I will try that but yeah, that is an example of making things a player wonders why he is stuck with that.

But overall the game is Morrwind, Skyrim and Fallout with Quickspacetravel and some pre determined space combat simply comparing numbers and no tactics at all.

There is hope that can be improved and the ground action really makes up for it and if you take your time instead of rushing it shows its rpg roots also.

Yeah, it would have been wonderfull, if they had managed a marriage between Elite and Morowind/Fallout 3 and i agree the game engine is ancient, but it still delivers plenty of fun and entertainement so far.

PS: In Facilities you may find doors on the outside that can be openend by cutting some bolts and inside a computer may open closed door or an air ventilation opens up and lets you move to otherwise closed areas.
I got Ice blocking doors and was able to cut it open with the cutter.
I hope they have more of that...

PPS: Regarding carry capacity my char can carry 135 whatever and i loaded him with 665 whatever and he still moved quite well, but exhaust oxygen rather fast and fast travel no more works.
But yeah, still able to move good enough to get where you have to and kill with a gun.

Edited by Thorqemada, 03 September 2023 - 01:36 PM.

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 01:32 PM

A different from a different guy:
Is Starfield Trash? (Spoiler Free) - YouTube

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 09:38 PM

And someone who loves the game:
Starfield Review 10 out of 10 for me. Spoilers towards the end of this review. - YouTube

#8 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 03:53 PM

Ressource extracting Outpost building and Cargolink for beginners:
Starfield: Beginners Guide to Outpost building + EASY SUPPLY LINES! - YouTube

#9 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:45 AM

Well, i am 30 hours in the game now and have growing fun and entertainement.

As i was so badly burned by the shite Fallout 4 i did not buy into the hype nor did i preorder but i waited for the YT reveiws of the EA (avoided Fallout 76 as well - Skyrim is the last game i bought and was happy with until now).

I like Science Fiction, i like RPGs, be it Baldurs Gate 3 which is a game of the century, but also Action RPGs if they offer me fun and entertainement.

Knoiwng Bethesda and what their games were and become over time, knowing the engine they did use, i never expected Elite+Star_Citizen+Morroblivirim but sort of Fallout in Space with more RPG than in the later Fallouts and honestly more RPG than in Sykirim bcs Skyrim is the least RPG of TES and that i got.

It helped that i bought the game at a shop that sold the EA Version for 80 bucks instead of 100 - i am honest, i would not have spend 100 for it and would have waited for the low budget release but as the EA Version includes some DLC stuff i can live with that and dont feel outsmarted.

By now everyone should know what the game is about and there is no need to talk further about hat.
Albeit to damn the game neving getting out of the Tutorial/Introduction phase is very bad sport and not a honest review!

Now the entertainement surrounding the game is almost bigger than ingame if you love drama bcs some gamers never change.

From Hypetrain to Hatetrain immediately on release!

Some Gamers never change!

And you have done that to yourself - it was nobody else - everything was predictable so curse yourself bcs you are accountable for your hyped up illusions you bought into or dreamed of and nobody else!

Edited by Thorqemada, 05 September 2023 - 11:49 AM.

#10 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:58 AM

So, to speak of a sensible matter - i encountered in 30h two "woke" moments so far.
First: pronouns in the character creation
Second: a gay couple that broke up badly

So far this game is many tiers less woke than Baldurs Gate 3 and if you like Badlurs Gate 3 you have no good reason to curse Starfield!

Edited by Thorqemada, 05 September 2023 - 03:24 PM.

#11 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 03:28 PM

I feel this is a review that makes an example how a legit review has to be made:
Starfield Review - Is It As BAD As They Say? - YouTube

I had not issues with blurryness but then i am on a Radeon and have disabled motion blurr and depth of field at otherwise medium settings on a 10bit capable 4k freesync Samsung LCD screen with 157pxiel per inch.

And i have not advanced the mainquest 1 step after arriving in New Atlantis (aside of meeting them 1 time and handing over the relict and getting a room there but i did not accept full membership so far), i am doing all the other stuff and let Constellation rot, i cant say a thing about the mainquest.

Enjoy your gaming epxerience or enjoy your ramblings but have fun while doing so :)

Edited by Thorqemada, 05 September 2023 - 03:33 PM.

#12 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 06:14 AM

A few little but helpful hints:

#13 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 08 September 2023 - 06:23 PM

After hands on reviews this game has a shizzton of potential but is going to take a bunch of optimization and expansions. Definitely going to be an epic game. Just not in its current state. I'll wait but everyone else enjoy!

#14 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 12:00 PM

Xbox Game Pass has it on it so if you have that game pass it should be "free" i guess...

80h in, still finding new Stuff, new Gear, new Weapons, more fun and entertainement.

Its the wrong thing if you look for a Space-Saga - its the right thing if you like Planetary-Place-Sagas with lightweight Orbital-Space-Action.

Edited by Thorqemada, 09 September 2023 - 12:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users