4 replies to this topic

#1 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 07 September 2023 - 03:49 PM

This popped up in my youtube feed and wow this beats the crap out of what starfield currently offers.

I remember all the hype over it only to see one of the worst launch fails in recent gaming history and it quickly fell out of my attention.

Well I guess what a difference almost a decade of updates can do. This actually looks very fun and engaging as a free roaming universe exploration game.

#2 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 08 September 2023 - 06:15 PM

Ok after a few hours play I can say this is a very fun game. Very colorful and vibrant with stuff to do and explore almost around every corner. Even the very first starter area where you learn the game mechanics and repair your ship had tons of stuff to find and explore that had nothing to do with the tutorial but will come in helpful later. However its not fair to compare it to starfield. This is more an anime themed survival galaxy exploration game like a subnautica whereas starfield is an rpg skyrim/fallout in space. Don't pay full price though as there are plentiful steam keys for $20ish and that gets you all updates even the recent echos expansion.

edit; Oh and its freaking optimized too. Running a steady 120 4k maxed out settings.

Edited by Meep Meep, 08 September 2023 - 06:17 PM.

#3 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 20 September 2023 - 03:20 AM

One of some games who went from crap to hype.
It's great, but Expeditions are devastating for my mental health.

#4 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 21 September 2023 - 07:39 PM

Haven't tried expeditions yet. I've got basically 7 years of content to explore plus the echos end game stuff before I need to use that mode to find something new to do. I imagine with this new influx of cash from all the sales coming from the starfield comparisons popping up there will be even more content to come.

#5 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 September 2023 - 08:34 PM

Indeed.

I've identified the two areas where Starfield does actually surpass NMS, with this first one being slightly more important:
1) Character development. Starfield grants the ability to gain levels and achieve permanent character progression, and some of the skills obtainable are quite powerful. Some of these skills are what are commonly known as "non-comparables" in video game development, meaning there's really no way to duplicate or compete with them unless you have a system in place to manipulate the specific variable they engage. NMS progression is exclusively resource/equipment based, by comparison.
2) Loot variety. The sheet amount of unique lootable items laying about in the world of Starfield is staggering. NMS comes nowhere close.

NMS blows Starfield away with it's seamless solar system transitions, it's ability to facilitate multiplayer interactions, and it's sheer scope.

As it's unlikely that Starfield will implement seamless transitions, as it's a limitation of their engine, and NMS could rather easily implement #1 above, I think it's at least possible NMS could maintain a position as a superior game. Each patch, they gain daily active users, and there doesn't appear to be a plateau in sight.

Wait until Starfield's launch dust settles a bit, and we may see a clear winner emerge between them. I'm not saying NMS will win, but it has potential to.

Edited by Throe, 21 September 2023 - 08:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users