Sound Pack File

10 replies to this topic

#1 Bug Killer

Rookie

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 07:34 PM

I have been using a sound pack other then the stock one.

I haven't had any problems using it for a good number of years until now.

The X-Pulse weapons have no sound. I was advised by a friend to use the "Repair Tool" which I located in one of the game folder "MWO Portal".

Apparently that doesn't work and I get the placard "Could not determine target from command line. Closing"

I seem to remember someone telling me many years ago that if I just remove the added sound pak file MWO would default to the normal sound pak. The problem with that is I dont know which file that is now and whether I am remembering correctly.

Can you provide guidance on how to restore the correct sound pak?

Regards

Steve A (Bug Killer)

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 11 September 2023 - 07:51 PM

The addition of new weapons broke the existing sound mods. You will have to see if the mod author has updated them.

#3 Bug Killer

Rookie

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 08:01 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 11 September 2023 - 07:51 PM, said:

The addition of new weapons broke the existing sound mods. You will have to see if the mod author has updated them.

I dont remember where I got that sound mod pak.

Wish I knew if using the "Repair Tool" will get me back to "Stock".

The problem is with that is that I cant get the Repair Tool to work sadly.

Thanks for the Reply.

BK

#4 D V Devnull

• 4,295 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:47 AM

View PostBug Killer, on 11 September 2023 - 07:34 PM, said:

I was advised by a friend to use the "Repair Tool" which I located in one of the game folder "MWO Portal".

Apparently that doesn't work and I get the placard "Could not determine target from command line. Closing"

View PostBug Killer, on 13 September 2023 - 08:01 PM, said:

Wish I knew if using the "Repair Tool" will get me back to "Stock".

The problem is with that is that I cant get the Repair Tool to work sadly.

Hello there... This is where I come in. It so happens that the MWO Repair Tool can never be directly launched from its' own program directory. You must always launch it from the MWO Portal application instead. So, in order to fix this issue which you're having with missing sounds...

((PLEASE READ THROUGH ALL OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!! I AM NOT PART OF PGI MWO SUPPORT, AND CAN ONLY PERSONALLY CERTIFY THE FIRST TEN STEPS BECAUSE THAT IS ALL I HAVE EVER NEEDED!!! THE FURTHER STEPS BELOW ARE ONLY RE-STATED FROM SITUATIONS WITH OTHER USERS WHO HAVE NEEDED TO GO THROUGH THE ADDITIONAL PROCESS!!!))
  • Launch the "MWO Portal" application.
  • Right-Click the "MechWarrior Online" item on the left-hand side.
  • Left-Click the "Run MWO Repair Tool" option.
  • Press "Yes" to the "User Account Control" prompt, if it appears.
  • After the "MWO Repair Tool" application loads, go up and Left-Click the "Options" button.
  • You'll now see seven options, so make sure that ONLY the last two are checked. This will enable running a passive scan of the MWO Game Files that also usually does a thorough job of looking for errors.
  • Left-Click the "Ok" button, and Left-Click the "Start Scan" button.
  • Let it go through the process that it will automatically do.
  • Left-Click on "Fix Issues" only if it does NOT give a "No Hash Mismatches Were Found" message.
  • Return to the "MWO Game Client" aka "MechWarrior Online (64 bit)" and see if the problem continues.
  • If things work right, you're all done, otherwise do the next steps below.
  • If the problem continues, close the "MWO Game Client" program, make a backup of your computer if you wish to do so, and do the first 5 steps again, but then resume with the 13th step below.
  • This time in the seven item "Options" dialog, enable the first checkbox for "Two-way consolidation (remove unneeded files from local install base)" in addition to the sixth & seventh, but explicitly avoid toggling any other checkbox.
  • You should now have only the first, sixth, and seventh checkboxes all checked... If it's not this way, please ensure it is before continuing.
  • Once again in order, Left-Click the "Ok" button, and Left-Click the "Start Scan" button.
  • Step through whatever additional process that it takes you through now. You're wandering into territory which I have never had to personally utilize, but it will probably ask you to confirm its' actions at some point through that process.
  • Upon completion, you should now be rid of any offending data that was causing your problems in MWO's Game Files and therefore will now be in a state where the "MWO Game Client" can operate properly on its' default data.
  • Return to the "MWO Game Client" aka "MechWarrior Online (64 bit)" and see if the problem continues.
  • If you encounter any problems at this point, then the "MWO Repair Tool" has somehow screwed up in a manner that it never should have. You'll have to contact PGI's MWO Support at this point, and the link for that is always overhead the top of MWO's Forums up above.
...and with all of that said, I wish you Good Luck on getting your issues with the "MWO Game Client" at least back into a state where you can play the game without missing sounds. :)

~D. V. "trying to help 'Bug Killer' un-glitch their modified MWO install which suffers from missing sounds" Devnull

#5 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 September 2023 - 11:43 AM

Repair tool won't fix broken sound mods though. To fix the missing sounds you have to remove the mod file itself until the mod is updated.

#6 D V Devnull

• 4,295 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 04:30 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 14 September 2023 - 11:43 AM, said:

Repair tool won't fix broken sound mods though. To fix the missing sounds you have to remove the mod file itself until the mod is updated.

What... you're telling me that the MWO Repair Tool when using the "Two-Way Consolidation" option can't flatly knock out all files that don't match with what the plain vanilla install contains? :blink:

~D. V. "could have sworn MWO's Repair Tool had an ability to revert that game's directory back to install state" Devnull

#7 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 September 2023 - 12:20 AM

Well thats the thing. Vanilla sounds are not broken if you remove the mod so no need to run repair. Sound mods are their own package file and override any vanilla sounds but they don't physically replace them.

#8 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 10:42 PM

This thread was moved to Workarounds

#9 D V Devnull

• 4,295 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 03:01 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 15 September 2023 - 12:20 AM, said:

Well thats the thing. Vanilla sounds are not broken if you remove the mod so no need to run repair. Sound mods are their own package file and override any vanilla sounds but they don't physically replace them.

And you have apparently missed something, 'Meep Meep', to which I'm about to metaphorically drop an ANVIL upon your mind here... It so happens that 'Bug Killer' does not know anymore which file is the offender, and even further has no idea how to track down an update. They do not know where they got the item now, let alone even having an idea – which they also do not have – of who the author is. Those parts of their memory are completely gone now, regardless of whether anyone wants to think otherwise. Therefore they need to reset the game's directories to Vanilla (a.k.a. "Stock") condition in order to move forward. As per their earlier posts...

View PostBug Killer, on 11 September 2023 - 07:34 PM, said:

The problem with that is I dont know which file that is now and whether I am remembering correctly.

View PostBug Killer, on 13 September 2023 - 08:01 PM, said:

I dont remember where I got that sound mod pak.

...and thus why I have posted the instructions above which took me a while to properly type. Unfortunately for you, our fellow Mech Pilot known as 'Bug Killer' can not simply remove the offending file as you ask because they are completely confused as to what files should even be present in MWO's various directories. You need to cease this push toward something which 'Bug Killer' lacks the knowledge to do successfully, as what they said further infers they (beyond loss of previous memories) possess no bookmarks within their browser regarding any of the information you're trying to force them into recalling. It's a newbie mistake I've seen people make (even with browser extensions) before, and you can not wish it away or act like someone still has special knowledge, regardless of how many times that you see it. :angry:

~D. V. "asking for single-file removal of modification when someone's incapable of recollecting is a non-starter" Devnull

#10 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 25 September 2023 - 03:08 PM

My solution was still the correct one. Remove the file and everything goes back to normal. That the op has no clue about it isn't my fault.

#11 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 September 2023 - 02:31 PM

MWO repair tool will remove all files that are not part of the installed game (and that includes mod files).

It will also redownload any files that have been modified or corrupted Posted Image

Edited by MrVaad, 29 September 2023 - 02:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users