Do You Feel "burned Out" By F2P/(M)Mo Games In General, Lately?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 20 September 2023 - 10:38 AM

I have such issue, since I tried to play WoWs, War Thunder & Elite Dangerous, to the point that I cannot even force myself to play matches in MwO when I tried to get back and play it as a "refeshment" (yeah, I think that I can say goodbye to that 10-year cup for active players). Sigh...

I don't exactly know why is causing this, but I can potentially say that lack of teamplay with friends, frequent losing & frustration are the culprits in my case.

Therefore, I just chilling with ETS2 & ATS lately; rarely jumping onto MW5 without DLC's, X4 Foundations when I want to be in space, or a good ol' shooters from the 90's to feel that childhood hapiness I remember.

If you have the same problem, you were able to overcome the burnout?

#2 Airmikee

• PipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 07:02 PM

I played the paper and dice Battletech, Crescent Hawk games, and every single Mechwarrior game since childhood. This game and MW5 are the games I play when I want to return to childhood nostalgia. I walked away from WoW (since version 0.6), SW:ToR (since launch), and countless clones, so returning to Mechwarrior is what I do to return to the happiness of gaming past.

Do what makes you happy, and don't worry about "losing" anything from not playing a video game.

#3 Raffen Volt

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMagistracy of Canopus

Posted 27 September 2023 - 08:12 AM

View PostCh_R0me, on 20 September 2023 - 10:38 AM, said:

I have such issue, since I tried to play WoWs, War Thunder & Elite Dangerous, to the point that I cannot even force myself to play matches in MwO when I tried to get back and play it as a "refeshment" (yeah, I think that I can say goodbye to that 10-year cup for active players). Sigh...

I don't exactly know why is causing this, but I can potentially say that lack of teamplay with friends, frequent losing & frustration are the culprits in my case.

Therefore, I just chilling with ETS2 & ATS lately; rarely jumping onto MW5 without DLC's, X4 Foundations when I want to be in space, or a good ol' shooters from the 90's to feel that childhood hapiness I remember.

Variety is the spice of life. If you feel that you are playing a game too much or aren't getting much enjoyment out of it, move onto something else. And when you get the desire to go back to that original game, go and play it. I am not a multiplayer or MMO guy, as I have always preferred single player games, RPGs being my preferred type of video game. I do love playing MWO however, as I have been a huge fan of the BattleTech universe since I was a kid. Nostalgia does play a part in my enjoyment of MWO, so I get what you are talking about. If I ever feel burned out on a game, I will take a break from it and play something else, or catch up on some reading (I have a shelf full of books that I have bought but haven't read yet.). For example, I actually took a hiatus from MWO/MW5 because I wanted to play other games, and was starting to feel a bit burned out on them. I've recently been playing a lot of Baldur's Gate III, but I have had to take a break from that, since I was started to feel burned out on it. So now, I'm back to playing MWO, HBS BattleTech, and MW5 for a while until I feel the desire to go back to BG3. I'm also trying to make more time to read a few chapters of a novel each week. Good luck, hopefully that helped a bit.

View PostAirmikee, on 26 September 2023 - 07:02 PM, said:

I played the paper and dice Battletech, Crescent Hawk games, and every single Mechwarrior game since childhood. This game and MW5 are the games I play when I want to return to childhood nostalgia. I walked away from WoW (since version 0.6), SW:ToR (since launch), and countless clones, so returning to Mechwarrior is what I do to return to the happiness of gaming past.

Do what makes you happy, and don't worry about "losing" anything from not playing a video game.

I started with BattleTech 2nd Edition in the mid 80s. I've read most of the BattleTech novels and played all of the video games. I simply love this universe, and love playing in it, whether that be through video games, or playing BattleTech/Alpha Strike with my miniatures and terrain. It is always fun, and gives me a feeling of nostalgia for my childhood.

#4 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 27 September 2023 - 10:45 AM

I lately feel more often such "burnout" but luckily these days MWO is the only online game I play.
More time to refreshing pieces like "good, old games"! Like play Fantasy General on DosBox or some updated Dune 2k (FED2K forums offers 64-bit compatible, upgraded version with tons of new maps\campaigns to play!).

And it may suprise you, but: Chess!
I sometimes play chess and that's help a whole lot, really!

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 05 November 2023 - 06:53 PM

after my experience with mwo, the words "never again" come to mind.

#6 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 06 November 2023 - 02:20 PM

Never been much of an online player mostly focusing on single player games. The exceptions would be the original return to castle wolfenstein multi then later on eve online(played that waaay too long) finishing with world of tanks and this game. Dabbled a bit in the free online shooters but meh could ever barely finish a round it was so boring. Battlebit is fun though I don't play it much just when I get the itch for some mindless massive arena fighting. Mwo is probably the one online game I still play with any regularity.

#7 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 07 November 2023 - 06:55 AM

View PostCh_R0me, on 20 September 2023 - 10:38 AM, said:

i'd play mw4 but it's an old game and doesn't allow me to use all the buttons on my mouse and i have to repeat the campaign for the 15th time...MWo is kinda the only modern mech game that I enjoy enough despite the lack of Lore and other battletech elements not to mention the horrible state of the game itself.

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 05:25 PM

if mwo ever goes under i expect a major mwll resurgence or ll2, or an expansion of the pvp mod in mw5. mw4 is hard to get running, its actually easier to run mw3.

#9 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 07 November 2023 - 10:35 PM

The new owners nuked the pvp mw5 mod though. There is a mechwarrior pvp game slotted after mw5 clans is finished but its going to be smaller scale player wise and not free to play so pretty sure they didn't want the competition. I'm thinking it will be similar to the mw5 pvp mod in that a smaller amount of players will be fighting alongside AI bots that control the non mech combatants. So you might see infantry and such in it. I'd be all for that.

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 11:04 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 07 November 2023 - 10:35 PM, said:

The new owners nuked the pvp mw5 mod though. There is a mechwarrior pvp game slotted after mw5 clans is finished but its going to be smaller scale player wise and not free to play so pretty sure they didn't want the competition. I'm thinking it will be similar to the mw5 pvp mod in that a smaller amount of players will be fighting alongside AI bots that control the non mech combatants. So you might see infantry and such in it. I'd be all for that.

yea but clans is a couple years out and the mwo successor will take a couple years to develop. and we all know how good game studios are making devtime/quality tradeoffs and meeting deadlines. so lets say its 5 years out. these things may be a stopgap if mwo gets redlined in the interim.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 November 2023 - 11:06 AM.

#11 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 November 2023 - 05:00 PM

By all accounts they are predicting a roughly additional 5 years of mwo lifetime (most likely a few years beyond that as long as people are willing to pay enough to keep the servers running and there is enough pop to get matches) so that would jive perfectly with a replacement.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 05:33 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 09 November 2023 - 05:00 PM, said:

By all accounts they are predicting a roughly additional 5 years of mwo lifetime (most likely a few years beyond that as long as people are willing to pay enough to keep the servers running and there is enough pop to get matches) so that would jive perfectly with a replacement.

with how thin they claim the margins are, it would take a small pod of whales bolting their wallets shut to tank the game. first time they get a quarter in the red its gone.

from a marketing perspective it might be good that the game is gone a couple years before they release the successor, as it would drive demand through the roof.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 November 2023 - 05:35 PM.

#13 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 November 2023 - 05:39 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 November 2023 - 05:33 PM, said:

with how thin they claim the margins are, it would take a small pod of whales bolting their wallets shut to tank the game. first time they get a quarter in the red its gone.

The margins are thin with any level of active management via cauldron changes and new mech ports and other managerial tasks because you have to pay those people a salary. But physically running the servers themselves isn't all that expensive when you take into account the owners will have mass leased servers at a business discount to host all the games they own that have online services. If mwo fully enters maintenance mode where there is zero new development(so zero new bugs or need for rebalance etc) and such and is static then operating costs drop to very low levels since the only budget outflow will be server cost and whoever is tasked with rebooting it and managing the active accounts which is typically bundled in with the cost of leasing the servers anyways.

edit; Also mwo could live on effectively forever if they shut the doors by releasing the server code so someone can make a new lobby and host games on private servers using the last released client. Odds are slim that happens but you never know given the hard core base we have here and the code could always be 'leaked' by someone.

Edited by Meep Meep, 09 November 2023 - 05:42 PM.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 05:41 PM

you can run a business on razor thin margins. but a loss is a loss.

the shield gimmick shows how desperate they are. they know their whales have maxed their inventories. and this is the only new content they could afford to make.

they aren't going down this year though, i think the legendaries have bought them some time and they have the longbow assets. but this is subject to evaluation at the end of each quarter.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 November 2023 - 05:50 PM.

#15 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 November 2023 - 05:55 PM

To be honest I think they cry poormouth more than they are actually running on thin margins so they can justify to the players that hey we can't afford to do the things you want. The recent comp sale showed that there is a lot of money still in this game and that was just a one off event. They are making scads of money off this game vs the money they are putting into it and its all being funneled into new development. Thats fine and the owners prerogative since many business use an existing brand to finance a new one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users