Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty Review By Skill Up

13 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 07:21 PM

Skill Up does quite thorough review of the game:
I strongly recommend: Cyberpunk 2077 (and Phantom Liberty) - Review - YouTube

I honestly feel atm quite a disapointment about the changes 2.0 brought to the game!

Which ranges from frequent crashing "that i did not have even in the "buggy" release version", weird physic glitches "tidnheitbrv", still uncontrolable cars via KB, Crafting completely invalidated, attribute points almost worthless (i run around with 5 to 10 unspent points until i realize and it has at least for me next to no gameplay consequence aside of blocking access to certain doors roflol), clothing mostly boring be it loot or shopware (rule of the cool - you remember that catchphrase?) and so on.
The enemies are still boring bulletsponges - even the Cyberpsychos...and opposite to Starfield they mostly tend to run into their death like flies into the light if there is a path to do so.

The only change i approve making the game slightly better is that some enemies now can backtrace you when you use cyberattacks on them.

Can not say a thing to the new quests - i have not reached them yet as i started a new game.
Probably the quests are good to great like in the vanilla game but the gameplay does not or even less convince me!

Edited by Thorqemada, 30 September 2023 - 07:22 PM.

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 October 2023 - 01:59 PM

Games have become so large and complex that I think the developers simply lose their direction and fall into the trap of trying to appease everyone. This is why small team indy games with a laser focus on what gameplay they present are collectively outselling this AAA stuff.

#3 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 09:51 AM

Yeah, that...and maybe to many cooks spoil the broth while serving a multi course dinner all at once...

#4 SafeScanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 07 October 2023 - 06:04 AM

50/50 on balance changes right now its different and fun hacking is still king though

that said having a blast on cp2077 sucking up all my time

#5 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 07 October 2023 - 05:28 PM

Put 100h into PL - good entertainement, great world/stage setup and visuals paired with more bugs than vanilla (for me) meets mediocre and narrowed gameplay.

CDPR really wants to force the players to play the game "their" way(s) and not the "players" way(s), which is a shame as exactly that prevents me from enjoy their games as much as the world and stage building would suggest.
Probably someone there at CDPR feels to be a "Koryphäe" (major authority) in all things gameplay and "how to" enjoy their games...

I had more fun in vanilla - until their botched dramaturgy with the timepressure that simply becomes not believeable anymore after you have done so much else content that the narrative of being close to imminent death breaks - when i decided i had to go to the end of the story bcs the setting worked no longer for me.

The infiltration mission into the HQ was the mission i liked the most and i ended PL it with a rocket launch.

Now i will never ever touch that game again in my whole life as i will never have any entertainement and fun again with it.

PS: And i honestly could not care less about celebrities in games - gameplay trumps!

Edited by Thorqemada, 07 October 2023 - 05:33 PM.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 08:05 PM

idk, ive yet to get through blade runner without falling asleep. so i figure the whole cyberpunk genre is not for me.

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 12:26 AM

Afair you can play with little regard to the whole hacking thing - you can play it like a dystopian SF-Shooter where the society is at the step b4 total collapse and the rich fled the earth into space or into the last few rich mans ghettos.

But i really would not recommend to play it for the gameplay loop that is utterly boring (unless you like "innocent" splatterfests), if you dont like story driven shooters avoid it!

Edited by Thorqemada, 14 October 2023 - 10:24 AM.

#8 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 October 2023 - 01:21 PM

I never really got into the gta games main storyline loops because they were just too silly and why this game doesn't really hold much interest to me. But to this day I will boot up gtav with a ton of graphics and music mods(every gta radio station from every game) and just cruise around relaxing. Same with The Crew racing games. You have the entire US to drive around and its relaxing to listen to podcasts or such as you drive from New York to L.A. in a few real time hours if you take the scenic routes and cruise past scenic landmarks and such.

#9 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, that is mostly what i do in GTA games, enjoying the ride...

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 11:42 PM

i always preferred games like carmageddon and interstate '76. in gta you're just running around breaking the law. you arent splattering cattle and pedestrians for a bonus for artistic impression or shooting down a helicopter by jumping off a hill dukes of hazzard style to get the right angle.

#11 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 07:05 AM

Interstate 76 was a great game, but it also played in the right era, the 70s are so much more cool than the 80s and that gimped Interstate 82 for bad.
I had both in original and now i have them both on GOG including the 76 Nitro Pack ofc.

GTA is more a weekend road trip with a stunt here and there, i like the stunts of GTA IV more than GTA V.

Edited by Thorqemada, 21 October 2023 - 07:06 AM.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 12:41 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 21 October 2023 - 07:05 AM, said:

Interstate 76 was a great game, but it also played in the right era, the 70s are so much more cool than the 80s and that gimped Interstate 82 for bad.
I had both in original and now i have them both on GOG including the 76 Nitro Pack ofc.

GTA is more a weekend road trip with a stunt here and there, i like the stunts of GTA IV more than GTA V.

another thing you missed i'76 was on the mw2 engine, while i'82 was on the twisted metal engine. fhe former handled terrain better and the latter looked like they tried to build a racing game out of a corridor shooter. i didnt even bother with '82. the cd version of '76 i have wont even install on a modern computer, did the gog version fix that?

idk what the current state of the carmageddon franchise was. i think there were four of them with the best being carpocalypse now, since it looked better and didnt change the formula too much. trying to turn it into a legit racing game in later editions is what killed it imho. i heard there was some talk of modernization but i never really followed that up.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 October 2023 - 12:44 PM.

#13 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:40 AM

Well, i stopped playing this kind of games after i82 so i am not informed about that.

I load either i76 or a GTA IV or V to qualm my Car destruction itch :)

#14 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 606 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 12:02 PM

Before DLC: recommended.

After DLC + 2.0 update: highly recommended.

Graphics is one thing, but the aesthetic and world-building is par none. They say Bladerunner is the most visually impressive movie of all time, well.. Cyberpunk 2077 is the most visually impressive game of all time. Even on my 1650gtx with max settings I get a solid 30fps, so with better graphics card or something RTX capable the graphics will look even better.

Gameplay is solid if unspectacular. Visually impressive but mechanically no different from every other FPS with a different take on "kill your enemies with this cool thing". Harry is now a techwizard and can upload magic to your cyberware firmware in essence.

The overall story is a hit or miss with people, but regardless it is probably the most well told and best acted story outside of an actual good scripted movie. No one-sided Besthesda talking-head syndrome here, conversations feel and act out in a realistic manner of not just dumping a wall of text on you. The perfect melding of Half-life "interactive" cinematics and traditional "acting scenes" where story and dialogue happen but with you as an active participant and not merely a silent observer.

The replay value is a little light, no "unlimited" play features like randomly generated missions or near infinite worldspace to explore (randomly generated mission areas in a dungeon or w/e). Outside of a few options that can affect some characters differently, the only major choices are essentially gated behind two or three end-game missions that are essentially the culmination of your in-game journey -- this goes for DLC as well. So while you can replay and pick different options, its not all that much and the majority of results are limited to specific characters or how V roleplays it. It more or less plays out like Witcher 3 in terms of story-reaction-story mechanics.

Now for a good car game, yall need to play Wreckfest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users