What Are Some Clan Mediums That Have The Potential To Be Added?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 01:16 AM

So I've narrowed down my preference in mechs to Mediums, I feel like I click with them more than others. Lights are fast but I'm to aggressive with them, heavies are doable if they are on the smaller side otherwise, like assaults my play style just leaves them in the open to much without the speed to adjust and assaults, well they pack a punch and I went through a phase where I did ok with them but in the end I prefer the smaller more agile mechs.

Since I'm a clanner I was wondering if there are any potential clan mediums in prospect for the future, I've seen the grendel before but been told it's probably not on the table, so what is?

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 02:58 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 14 October 2023 - 01:16 AM, said:

So I've narrowed down my preference in mechs to Mediums, I feel like I click with them more than others. Lights are fast but I'm to aggressive with them, heavies are doable if they are on the smaller side otherwise, like assaults my play style just leaves them in the open to much without the speed to adjust and assaults, well they pack a punch and I went through a phase where I did ok with them but in the end I prefer the smaller more agile mechs.

Since I'm a clanner I was wondering if there are any potential clan mediums in prospect for the future, I've seen the grendel before but been told it's probably not on the table, so what is?

The problem of MechWarrior Online is not the lack of 'Mechs. MWO has 120 'Mechs with hundreds of various variants.

The MWO problem is a very repetetive gameplay and no new 'Mech is going to change that.

Imagine that PGI adds the Grendel - essentially over-engined Shadow Cat with approximately 3 tons less of weapons. What would happen? You put a pair of lasers or ER PPCs on it, deploy in the game ... and run to the same sniping spot as thousand times before. Would it change anything that you are sitting in a slightly different 'Mech than before? Probably not. Ditto for any other loadout.

I could name you a dozen of different medium Clan BattleMech and OmniMechs. Yes, some of them would probably have slightly different loadouts than 'Mechs already present in MWO. And what? The fact that your new 'Mech would be able to boat more lasers or more missile racks would not change significantly your gameplay nor your game experience. After a few days the novelty wears off and the boredom returns. The usual nascaring, the usual sniping, the usual ... etc. are not going anywhere, a new 'Mech or not.

#3 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 14 October 2023 - 07:52 AM

Yeah, I feel like the variants was a problem for mech identity. It was great early on when we had 8-12 different chassis early on, but the moment the Stalker dropped the issue with how they had handled mech construction reared its head as the Stalker flipped off the Awesome while it made it obsolete really until quirks became a thing. Even then though, it's a similar problem to really any hero based shooter. How do you add mechs and make them interesting without eclipsing others. Especially in a game where there is a dearth of utility equipment/weapons (artillery is mountable on just any mech, there is nothing like flash/smoke grenades that can obscure vision/radar, no way to buff/debuff, etc).

My thought has been instead of having IS vs Clan, break it down further into factions (each faction has unique weapons, equipment, mechs, etc) and rotate factions into competitive play kinda like MtG does with set blocks. Soup queue can stay open. The only other option is to have tiered play like pokemon is handled in competitive. That won't happen either way without a new game, but I mean, what foundational issue within MWO isn't solved without a new game?

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 14 October 2023 - 07:54 AM.

#4 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 08:29 AM

You can speculate all you want, there is no resources allocated to MWO.
The only mechs that will be ported to this game are those first made for MW5, like the Stone Rhino and LongBow.

#5 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 14 October 2023 - 08:41 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 14 October 2023 - 01:16 AM, said:

The Pouncer is an adder with jump jets extra weight brings it up to medium there's also the arctic wolf MKII and we could still use any IIC mediums like the wolverine IIC aka hellhound/Conjururer

#6 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 12:05 PM

Phantom is a 40ton Medium that wants to be a light. I remember running one back in MechWarrior 2

https://www.sarna.ne...ntom_(OmniMech)

Posted Image

Edited by BumbleBee, 14 October 2023 - 12:06 PM.

#7 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 October 2023 - 02:08 PM

View Postepikt, on 14 October 2023 - 08:29 AM, said:

You can speculate all you want, there is no resources allocated to MWO.
The only mechs that will be ported to this game are those first made for MW5, like the Stone Rhino and LongBow.

Yes recent video interviewing Russ shows that all support has finally been pulled past cauldron and backporting any mw5 mechs we don't already have. Thats it folks they have finally fully moved on. Enjoy the game while it lasts.

#8 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,756 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 14 October 2023 - 04:29 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 14 October 2023 - 02:08 PM, said:

Yes recent video interviewing Russ shows that all support has finally been pulled past cauldron and backporting any mw5 mechs we don't already have. Thats it folks they have finally fully moved on. Enjoy the game while it lasts.

I mean even before that it was practically a skeleton crew anyway so this isn't really that shocking.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 04:42 PM

seems like what we are getting from here on out, other than new variants, are going to be backports of new mw5 mechs. we might get back ports from mw5: clans as well. but that's a couple years out.

#10 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 October 2023 - 05:22 PM

The Battle Cobra, the Mongrel, the Phantom, the Pouncer, and the Stooping Hawk are reasonably-strong candidates for Clan Medium OmniMechs.

If PGI wanted to be really adventurous, they could go with the Night Chanter (a lighter, Clan-tech, OmniMech version of the Crab). Posted Image

Edited by Strum Wealh, 14 October 2023 - 05:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users