Decal With National-Flag (Eg To Put It On Mech's Shoulder)

15 replies to this topic

#1 Kai Allard-Liao and Deirdre Lear

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 01:39 AM

We already have National-Flag Standing Cockpit-Items.

I think it would be nice to be able to buy National-Flag Decals for MC to put it on my Mechs Shoulder.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 09 November 2023 - 09:10 AM

Not a bad idea, possibly outweighs the negatives of getting picked on by players who really don't love the country you're displaying. Me, I'll stick to the cockpit item and some national colors on the outside.

#3 A Child of Kerensky

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 November 2023 - 07:02 PM

I am not sure that is such a good idea... Could lead to some infighting based on IRL conflicts. I say keep the IRL nationalism out of MWO, this argument was already hashed out in July IIRC.

#4 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 09 November 2023 - 07:51 PM

I think it's a good idea, and they all should be free. (Aka cost cbills) Only because a certain other flag cost c-bills.

So what people are gonna pick on you because you have a flag on your mech big whoop, if they team kill you for it well 1.penalty and 2. they're now down one less player.

After all you don't have to use the decal if you don't want.

Edited by KursedVixen, 09 November 2023 - 07:53 PM.

#5 Kai Allard-Liao and Deirdre Lear

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2023 - 01:32 AM

View PostA Child of Kerensky, on 09 November 2023 - 07:02 PM, said:

I am not sure that is such a good idea... Could lead to some infighting based on IRL conflicts. I say keep the IRL nationalism out of MWO, this argument was already hashed out in July IIRC.

That's not a point!

Because I already see Mechs ingame running around with an russian "Z" like the Tanks in the Ukraine.

Also with the use of 3-4 Decals it is already possible to build a National Flag (Germany) provisionally. So do i. But thats not smart and cost many Decal-Slots.

I'm still up for Shoulder-Decals! Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Kai Allard-Liao and Deirdre Lear, 10 November 2023 - 01:33 AM.

#6 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 10 November 2023 - 07:26 AM

View PostKai Allard-Liao and Deirdre Lear, on 10 November 2023 - 01:32 AM, said:

That's not a point!

Because I already see Mechs ingame running around with an russian "Z" like the Tanks in the Ukraine.

Also with the use of 3-4 Decals it is already possible to build a National Flag (Germany) provisionally. So do i. But thats not smart and cost many Decal-Slots.

I'm still up for Shoulder-Decals! Posted Image

Posted Image
and the american flag can't even be done.

#7 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 10 November 2023 - 05:27 PM

You are preaching to the choir, I have also suggested that PGI also make Country Flag decals as well.

#8 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 08:35 AM

View PostWill9761, on 10 November 2023 - 05:27 PM, said:

You are preaching to the choir, I have also suggested that PGI also make Country Flag decals as well.
and they should cost c-bills and as far as

Like the pride flag doesn't already do that?

#9 Vogel007

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKentares IV, Federated Suns

Posted 14 November 2023 - 08:44 AM

Personally I don't even like the real life national flags inside the 'Mechs.
Not because I'm against people taking pride in their country, I think that could be a healthy thing.
I don't like it because in the BattleTech universe all of these nations have ceased to exist centuries ago. It just feels strange playing a game set in the 31st century and seeing national flags from today's world. Posted Image

#10 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 09:14 AM

View PostVogel007, on 14 November 2023 - 08:44 AM, said:

Personally I don't even like the real life national flags inside the 'Mechs.
Not because I'm against people taking pride in their country, I think that could be a healthy thing.
I don't like it because in the BattleTech universe all of these nations have ceased to exist centuries ago. It just feels strange playing a game set in the 31st century and seeing national flags from today's world. Posted Image

Plus or minus all the units sporting Japanese or Scottish heraldry and traditions. We have the authors to blame for that one. Posted Image

#11 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 09:21 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 14 November 2023 - 09:14 AM, said:

Plus or minus all the units sporting Japanese or Scottish heraldry and traditions. We have the authors to blame for that one. Posted Image
well there were the highlanders...

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 11:01 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 14 November 2023 - 09:21 AM, said:

well there were the highlanders...

Aye. Tartan in the sig image. I'm sure that's a coincidence. Posted Image

#13 FlamingBeard

Rookie

• Kapten
  • Kapten
  • 5 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 29 December 2023 - 08:52 PM

Yeah, pretty disgusting to see fascist genocidal {Godwin's Law}-ruZZian flags in the game now. To me there is no difference if you run a {Godwin's Law}-Germany's swastika/swastika flag on your mech compared to ruZZian half swastika AKA Z or ruZZian flags... Posted Image It's the same to me.

#14 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 02:19 AM

I'd say instead of IRL national flags we need more cosmetic attributes of BattleTech nations. More Clan, Inner Shpere and especially Periphery decals, cockpit items and bolt-ons. Why bringing your IRL politics with you, when you have a whole universe with it's own nations, politics, wars and history? I think painting mechs with IRL national colors or flags isn't nearly as good for immersion and friendliness of MWO community as painting mechs with BT-related colors and decals is.

You can be Taurian guard who hates everything even remotely related to Davions, why would you want to be a XXI century German, American or Russian instead? It'll hurt the immersiveness of in-game universe and would bring more unnecessary conflicts and personal frustration to interactions between players, why would we need that?

Edited by JumpingHunter, 30 December 2023 - 02:26 AM.

#15 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 02:23 AM

View PostFlamingBeard, on 29 December 2023 - 08:52 PM, said:

Yeah, pretty disgusting to see fascist genocidal {Godwin's Law}-ruZZian flags in the game now. To me there is no difference if you run a {Godwin's Law}-Germany's swastika/swastika flag on your mech compared to ruZZian half swastika AKA Z or ruZZian flags... Posted Image It's the same to me.

That's EXACTLY what i am talking about - you only will spark more conflicts with more national symbols being able to be slapped on the mechs. You already have national flags for your personal pleasure - in cockpits. Bringing IRL politics and nationalism (not the movement, the concept itself) to be even more prevalent will just be more harmful than helpful. Just like Mr. Tex of BPL or Rageacholic said multiple times - leave real life behind the door if you're in BattleMech, it'll only be a weirdly smelling dead weight for you.

After all, this unnecessary nationalism is exactly what destroyed Alexander Kerensky's plans of peacfully rebuilt Star League on pentagon worlds, let's not forget that...

Edited by JumpingHunter, 30 December 2023 - 02:31 AM.

#16 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 09:04 AM

I understand what you are saying, I don't agree though, first, hating someone because of their, faith, nationality, color of skin (or lack of there of) is just plain immature, ignorant and all kinds of s!@#$d.
second, someone will always hate someone for some reason, there is no way around it, studying history made this clear to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users