Cockpit Monitors Are Useless

14 replies to this topic

#1 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 01:40 PM

The sheer number of unused electronic displays in mech's cockpit is astonishing. Maybe we could get a setting that would disable HUD on the screen (only crosshair remains) but would display the HUD elements on the monitors in cockpit? This would bump the immersiveness of driving the mech A LOT, if would also make the "free look" control much more useful AND it would make the process of getting used to a new mech that much more important and immersive (as all mechs have different locations of all cockpit monitors) and less of a "go to testing ground and set the weapon groups" routine action. In general it would just feel right. Neuro-Helmets didn't have a HUD in them in lore, as far as i remember, they just made it easier to feel the inertia and control parameters of your mech, and to gather info it would be a VERY cool (althouh somewhat disadvantageous) to have to look around to see your damage sheet, the target damage sheet and weapon conditions.

Most mechs have 3 or 4 monitors already, which would be enough to assign HUD components to these monitors without any HUD parts being left behind.

I think one of the coolest images of mech's cockpit's inside view is in MWO's old trailer, where the pilot are starting up the atlas, and the monitor in the cockpit with some sensors and mech parameters shown on it looked VERY cool. Would be great to have that in game.

#2 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 11 November 2023 - 04:08 PM

one could be a backup camera.. ammo counter? ECM Status stuff like that, something more than the useless crap on them now. maybe even have one display the current map.

Edited by KursedVixen, 11 November 2023 - 04:14 PM.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 09:09 PM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 11 November 2023 - 01:40 PM, said:

The sheer number of unused electronic displays in mech's cockpit is astonishing. Maybe we could get a setting that would disable HUD on the screen (only crosshair remains) but would display the HUD elements on the monitors in cockpit? This would bump the immersiveness of driving the mech A LOT, if would also make the "free look" control much more useful AND it would make the process of getting used to a new mech that much more important and immersive (as all mechs have different locations of all cockpit monitors) and less of a "go to testing ground and set the weapon groups" routine action. In general it would just feel right. Neuro-Helmets didn't have a HUD in them in lore, as far as i remember, they just made it easier to feel the inertia and control parameters of your mech, and to gather info it would be a VERY cool (althouh somewhat disadvantageous) to have to look around to see your damage sheet, the target damage sheet and weapon conditions.

Most mechs have 3 or 4 monitors already, which would be enough to assign HUD components to these monitors without any HUD parts being left behind.

I think one of the coolest images of mech's cockpit's inside view is in MWO's old trailer, where the pilot are starting up the atlas, and the monitor in the cockpit with some sensors and mech parameters shown on it looked VERY cool. Would be great to have that in game.

A long time ago, those cockpit monitors actually served a good purpose: Displaying your 'Mech's status and the status of its weapons and internal systems. After some time, PGI has removed this functionality.

#4 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 01:35 AM

View Postmartian, on 11 November 2023 - 09:09 PM, said:

A long time ago, those cockpit monitors actually served a good purpose: Displaying your 'Mech's status and the status of its weapons and internal systems. After some time, PGI has removed this functionality.

Do you have any idea why? I see no reason to do so, they weren't harmful or overly advantageous, as you had to move your head around the cockpit to see them anyway...

View PostKursedVixen, on 11 November 2023 - 04:08 PM, said:

one could be a backup camera.. ammo counter? ECM Status stuff like that, something more than the useless crap on them now. maybe even have one display the current map.

Yeah, maybe we could get some new features too, like the status of heat sinks, total heat capacity/dissipation rate of mech, or some other stuff. In the end i just want them to have a purpose at all, no matter which one it would be...

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 01:39 AM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 12 November 2023 - 01:35 AM, said:

Do you have any idea why? I see no reason to do so, they weren't harmful or overly advantageous, as you had to move your head around the cockpit to see them anyway...
To cut the costs of the game development. I am too lazy to attempt to find those old screenshots.

Edited by martian, 12 November 2023 - 01:40 AM.

#6 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 04:56 AM

View Postmartian, on 12 November 2023 - 01:39 AM, said:

To cut the costs of the game development. I am too lazy to attempt to find those old screenshots.

What a shame. They we adding a lot to immersion, something this game would truly be worth playing if not for the powerplaying with meta builds. It would be amazing if they will return one day...

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 17 November 2023 - 10:22 AM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 17 November 2023 - 04:56 AM, said:

What a shame. They we adding a lot to immersion, something this game would truly be worth playing if not for the powerplaying with meta builds. It would be amazing if they will return one day...
It was easier for PGI to copypaste those three identical GIFs across all 'Mechs' cockpits in the game than to ensure that those cockpit monitors are working properly.

#8 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,223 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 17 November 2023 - 11:31 AM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 12 November 2023 - 01:35 AM, said:

because pgi let the cauldron do all their work for them and thier code is absolute garbage so they tried to push for preformance or the best they could get out of their ****** code.

#9 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 30 November 2023 - 07:51 AM

I found picture with working screen on it, or, I think thats it.

I was looking for something and found this https://mwomercs.com...2-weapon-doors/

And those pictures have what you are talking about ? I guess ? Posted Image

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 08:19 AM

View Posttorsie, on 30 November 2023 - 07:51 AM, said:

I found picture with working screen on it, or, I think thats it.

I was looking for something and found this https://mwomercs.com...2-weapon-doors/

And those pictures have what you are talking about ? I guess ? Posted Image

Yeah, that was it.

The Heat Sinks status screen showed your healthy and non-functional heat sinks, so you had a good idea of your 'Mech's heat capacity even after a few minutes of battle.

That ammo display screen showed what ammo you had in various sections of your 'Mech, so you knew what section of your 'Mech was "safe" and could be used for "tanking" the incoming enemy fire because you already used all ammo originally stored in it.

I vaguely remember that there was the third type of cockpit display, but I can not remember what was displaying.

#11 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 08:59 AM

View Postmartian, on 30 November 2023 - 08:19 AM, said:

Yeah, that was it.

The Heat Sinks status screen showed your healthy and non-functional heat sinks, so you had a good idea of your 'Mech's heat capacity even after a few minutes of battle.

That ammo display screen showed what ammo you had in various sections of your 'Mech, so you knew what section of your 'Mech was "safe" and could be used for "tanking" the incoming enemy fire because you already used all ammo originally stored in it.

I vaguely remember that there was the third type of cockpit display, but I can not remember what was displaying.

I wonder what was so wrong with it if PGI just got rid of it. And i wonder if it would be re-implementable...

Edited by JumpingHunter, 01 December 2023 - 08:59 AM.

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,877 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:37 AM

one less thing for the old dinosaur of a graphics engine to render. Less load on the video processor means higher frames per second. And when you're struggling to maintain FPS, every F counts.

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:41 AM

View PostJumpingHunter, on 01 December 2023 - 08:59 AM, said:

I wonder what was so wrong with it if PGI just got rid of it. And i wonder if it would be re-implementable...

Essentially, it required investing some PGI's resources to implement those cockpit monitors, while it brought no immediate profits.

About a half of MWO 'Mechs had these functional cockpit monitors when PGI scrapped that entire feature and replaced them with identical GIFs in all 'Mechs.

#14 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 12:07 PM

I'm mildly perturbed that turning them off doesn't take them out of the cockpit. I get that someone spent time modeling these cockpits but some of those monitors are kind of obstructive.

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:57 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 01 December 2023 - 12:07 PM, said:

I'm mildly perturbed that turning them off doesn't take them out of the cockpit. I get that someone spent time modeling these cockpits but some of those monitors are kind of obstructive.

Removing them would require spending additional PGI's resources. After all, players can play even with those dead monitors in place. Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users