I Know How To Fix Faction Play, I Got It :)

25 replies to this topic

#1 Rabitldr

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 November 2023 - 11:20 PM

Faction play has no pay off apart from a little blinky light of no consequence changes hands and games take forever because few play.

I know how to fix it

First, have a Talk To The Other Side comms channel.

We can’t talk to each other, we can’t ‘encourage’ the other side. We can’t engage, we can’t get involved in Bidding. It’s always all or nothing. Bidding by the Clans is part of the Lore. Worried about harsh language? Don’t click on the tab. You don’t have to lower yourself to talk to the other side ������

Increasing the number of games:

What if you could bid for a lower number of say, 4 vs 4. You set a personal minimum number you find acceptable. When the number is reached, you are prompted to answer, are you okay with a 4 vs 4?

If the answer is yes and there are enough on the other side also set to the number you drop. If you don’t answer the prompt you default to 12 vs 12. If you walk away from FP to get a coffee you may miss your chance to drop. Pay attention pilots! It means less AFK players

Player Rewards

Supply Crates. When you go to war you get loot or higher pay right? Combat pay. Right now, we get them randomly in Quick Play. We could have a special set for FP. They might have XL engines, Mech Bays, GSP, the possibilities are quite good here.

You could determine earning ability toward a Supply Crate. The less tonnage you lose in a fight the more percentage you get toward a Supply Crate. Hit your %100 you get one. 4 vs 4, Comon Crate, 8 vs 8, Medium Crate, 12 vs 12, Rare Crate. 4 vs 4 minimum advancement toward your crate, 8 vs 8 more percent, 12 vs 12, maximum return.

Planet importance would of course change this. Hesperus II is under attack this weekend? Earn a Heavy mech of your choice…if you win. Fail you get a Rare Crate

Minimum Bids:

Planets on the Periphery might only take a lance of mechs to attack or defend. Capitals would require only 12 vs 12. Each planet could have a minimum capture bid and change the percentage gain on Supply Crates. It means planets gain importance. Those little blinky lights gain value.

Planet Targeting:

With minimum bids it means you can target planets again. Group with four people and put a minimum bid on a planet (if the planet allows for it). Give an option that any lower bid may accept a higher bid. Think you 4 mechs can take 8? Prove it. Your 8 can take 12, try. All players on the lower bid must accept though. Again it means more games in FP

What do you guys think?

Edited by Rabitldr, 11 November 2023 - 11:44 PM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 11:46 PM

View PostRabitldr, on 11 November 2023 - 11:20 PM, said:

Faction play has no pay off apart from a little blinky light of no consequence changes hands and games take forever because few play.

I know how to fix it

First, have a Talk To The Other Side comms channel.

We can’t talk to each other, we can’t ‘encourage’ the other side. We can’t engage, we can’t get involved in Bidding. It’s always all or nothing. Bidding by the Clans is part of the Lore. ...
What do you guys think?

The game client is set for 12v12 games. Russ Bullock announced quite clearly about two weeks ago that no big changes are going to happen in MWO.
Therefore, I think that you can forget about your idea of bidding away your forces.

As for your idea regarding Supply Crates, I think that a significant part of the remaining FP playerbase is composed of longtime FP players who have a ton of stuff such as engines, weapons, 'Mechs, etc.

#3 Aunoor

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 12:54 AM

View Postmartian, on 11 November 2023 - 11:46 PM, said:

The game client is set for 12v12 games.

EQ queue allow 4vs4.

View Postmartian, on 11 November 2023 - 11:46 PM, said:

Russ Bullock announced quite clearly about two weeks ago that no big changes are going to happen in MWO.

As 5 years ago they don't be very interested to push game further, and now nothing changed. :)

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 01:37 AM

View PostAunoor, on 12 November 2023 - 12:54 AM, said:

EQ queue allow 4vs4.
This is the Faction Play section.

View PostAunoor, on 12 November 2023 - 12:54 AM, said:

As 5 years ago they don't be very interested to push game further, and now nothing changed. Posted Image
They have removed Scouting from the Faction Play.

#5 Rabitldr

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 November 2023 - 04:42 AM

Three 4 vs 4 would equal one 12 vs 12. And 8 vs 8 and a 4 vs 4 would equal a 12 vs 12. The math breaks down fairly easy. It could even allow for multiple battles on the same planet at the same time. One battle per slot. One for 4 vs 4 and so on ip

Even 12 single scout missions would add up. Say at half value

I'm not saying it wouldn't take some work but it's using the tools already in the game to minimise work

As to Supply Crates, same thing, it's stuff already in the system. All you doing is changing the prizes available.

Aside from the argument you say nothing can change so nothing will. Can you see any other problem with it? Are you simply arguing that toast technology has come as far as it is gone so no longer look into the idea of designing toasters? :)

Edited by Rabitldr, 12 November 2023 - 06:28 AM.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:05 AM

View PostRabitldr, on 12 November 2023 - 04:42 AM, said:

Aside from the argument you say nothing can change so nothing will.
Did you watch that webcast with Russ Bullock?

#7 Rabitldr

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 November 2023 - 06:13 PM

I did not

For whatever else did you hear about that guy in the patent office?
Everything that can be invented has :)

I'm guessing someone said there would be no more work or somesuch.

#8 Asylum Choir

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 05:59 PM

The only way to fix FP is to fix the playerbases' attitude.

#9 Lukas den Hau

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 05:14 AM

View PostAsylum Choir, on 16 November 2023 - 05:59 PM, said:

Sounds like the old arguments of "join a group", "learn how to play", ... Nope, I have a regular job, a family and others hobbies. I won't dedicate my time to a game where the best mode (or at least it was the best mode three years ago), only consists of half an hour waiting before getting an empty drop or getting stomped.

I think, PGI made a mistake by adjusting half of the game play (FP) to competitive but not to casual players. The competitve player base is much smaller and normally they don't need another mech package. Thus, with a dwindling casual player base the earnings of PGI and their potential to invest into MWO is dwindling, too. I'm conviced, that without the remaining casual players in QP, MWO would be dead.

#10 Serial Number

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 02:19 PM

View PostLukas den Hau, on 22 November 2023 - 05:14 AM, said:

I think, PGI made a mistake by adjusting half of the game play (FP) to competitive but not to casual players.

Nobody ever treated it as "competitive" mode anyways.
PGI made a mistake by releasing trash like CW 3.0 with longtom that nuked 95% of CW units and players away. After that it just kept dying more and more with release of another sh*t like CW 4.0 with pathetic QP maps and modes, that made most of remaining CW people(who hated qp maps/modes) leave too.

Edited by Serial Number, 04 December 2023 - 02:23 PM.

#11 -K H A N

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 12:30 PM

View PostAsylum Choir, on 16 November 2023 - 05:59 PM, said:

The only thing wrong with the "player bases attitude" comes from weak people who cry because they dont automatically win, and things arent as easy as they want them to be. So they start crying about players better than them. If we could stop all the crying dweeb lords from playing FP it would be in a healthier place. Try growing some balls ?

#12 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 17 December 2023 - 03:42 AM

My two pennies:

Remove QP maps and modes; return it to Siege 24/7 with the Phase 1(?!) version with the Attack / Counter Attack rotation. When the attacking team wins, they then have to defend the base but without gates and turrets: TBH I can't remember the rotation but it did make it slightly less one sided and places less of a compulsion for players to stack the defending side.

Develop new Siege maps and rework the old ones: I believe PGI has a "map guy" once more, I would love to see a couple of new FP maps or at least a rework of Boreal Vault.

I'm not sure how much work would be involved in re-instating Phase 1 Siege but the maps seemed to be an ongoing proposal for QP anyway. A possibility?

**Quick edit**

The "attitude" of a lot of FP players comes from a few things:

A LOT of us literally bought into MWO on the premise that Community Warfare was going to be THE biggest part of the game. Then we were basically lied to, threw a wet fish and told to like it and then drip fed nonsense updates that made the fish into a furball and told that's as good as it gets.

Add to this mix a whole bunch of players that simply won't listen when someone with a bit of experience tries to help them, then the CW / FP "Vets" got a little salty.

Edited by xX PUG Xx, 17 December 2023 - 03:46 AM.

#13 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 19 December 2023 - 10:10 AM

how about fixing the game instead of a mode almost no one plays?

#14 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 19 December 2023 - 11:49 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 19 December 2023 - 10:10 AM, said:

how about fixing the game instead of a mode almost no one plays?

Thanks for the input, can you show us in the Commando doll where the FP laser turret shot you?

#15 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 12:50 AM

Even though he is trolling like always. There will be not changes to FP (and we should hope so, because the cauldron guys are fans of the QP modes in FP...).

Any investment of programming time is wasted on the current level of population. We should enjoy it until the servers shut down and try to make it the best possible XP bye not actively stacking defend / groups.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 20 December 2023 - 12:50 AM.

#16 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 20 December 2023 - 08:10 AM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 19 December 2023 - 11:49 AM, said:

Thanks for the input, can you show us in the Commando doll where the FP laser turret shot you?
i don't own any inner sphere mechs so nope.

or actually i never had a commando, if anybody cares to look at my profile

Edited by KursedVixen, 20 December 2023 - 02:27 PM.

#17 -K H A N

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 12:51 PM

This one is a thicko. ^^^^

#18 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Subcommander
  • Subcommander
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 04:12 AM

90% of FP pop is selfish mfkers. they just want to drop defence with longrange and using every single one advantage on their side, beat pugs and that is fun for them. they cant be changed. They dont care about gamemode or someone else wants to have fun on video games

If you ban them then FP can be fun, but PGI wont do that. So theres no cure for FP.

Edited by Kotis77, 21 December 2023 - 04:22 AM.

#19 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 11:57 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 20 December 2023 - 08:10 AM, said:

i don't own any inner sphere mechs so nope.

or actually i never had a commando, if anybody cares to look at my profile

And no wonder someone who we shall not name has QQed about OP IS mechs past 6...9 months.

#20 -K H A N

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 02:27 PM

View PostKotis77, on 21 December 2023 - 04:12 AM, said:

90% of FP pop is selfish mfkers. they just want to drop defence with longrange and using every single one advantage on their side, beat pugs and that is fun for them. they cant be changed. They dont care about gamemode or someone else wants to have fun on video games

If you ban them then FP can be fun, but PGI wont do that. So theres no cure for FP.

None of this is true.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users