Do Not Remove Hag Spread

12 replies to this topic

Poll: Hag Spread? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you say about HAG spread

1. Remove it entirely. (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Keep it as it is (or as it was on release) (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Make it closer to LB-X ACs spread (5 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 02:26 AM

Judging by my experience in last few month of QP matches (lower end of Tier 2) there has been progressively more HAG snipers than when the weapon only came out. That, i believe, is because HAGs progressively got less and less spread, which allowed them to basically become pinpoint snipint weapon against larger and slower mechs. Which i find very concerning, because this made current sniper/long range meta even more insufrable.

Lore-wise, HAGs function similarily to LB-X Autocannons, as they shoot a number of lightly-damaging projectiles that in total sum deal a lot of spread damage. The difference between LB-X and HAG is that HAG is able to be fired effectively on much longer ranges, meaning that you can sandpaper enemy's armor on longer ranges, but just like LB-Xs, HAGs are almost unable to deal all their 20, 30 or 40 to a single component. But last few patches made HAGs bid away this balancing rule, and right now if you stand still, move slowly and walking pace or even if you move at your max speed (if you are in a slow and big assault mech, which is the biggest concern), enemy with HAG can launch ALL 4 to 8 pellets in a single component with little to no effort, dealing 20 to 40 damage to one location at ANY range.

Not a single other weapon system in MWO is able to do even half of such damage to single component at ranges longer than 300 meters. MRM launchers have 550 meters range, but they have a very slow velocity and also a HUGE spread, making targeting single components almost impossible if you are not staying up close to your enemy. AC20, which deal same total damage as HAG20, has 3 times less optimal range, and the most damaging sinle-shot weapon, Heavy Gauss Rifle, only have 220 optimal range, even with it's uniquely long max range, and it pays more than enough for it's damage and relatively long range with weight and size.

Piloting slower but tankier mechs became not viable at all, because you either hide behind cover (in a frickin Atlas, you hide in an Atlas) or you get double HAG40 shots in your shoulder and now you dont have right torso. Tankier but slower mechs like Atlas, Fafnir, DIre Wolf, Warhawk, Orion (which ironically does get this issue adressed a bit in upcoming patch, but only for himself) and some other mechs lose their side torsos with no chance to retaliate or even dodge the shot from HAG. The reduction of burst RoF did not make the weapon less accurate at longer ranges, as long as your target is an assasult or larger heavy mech.

I suggest instead of removing spread entirely, like the upcoming patch is about to do (which i find just ridiculously wrong) to decrese the time between shots in burst to the release numbers, but make the HAG20 have spread of 0.4 (LB5-X Autocannon spread), HAG30 have 0.6 spread and HAG40 have 0.8 spread (just barely lower than LB10-X AC spread). This will make HAGs WAY less sniper friendly, and larger assault mechs will now have a chance to at least come close to enemy, instead of just having one component at a time shot-off by 40-damage pinpoint weapon from 1000 meters away, with no chance to retaliate/dodge.

Edited by JumpingHunter, 18 November 2023 - 02:37 AM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 03:20 AM

Just read this:

View PostFrost_Byte, on 25 October 2023 - 02:39 PM, said:

Low to zero spread was a factor that was wanted by most of the cauldron as a pillar of the weapon, then balancing other components around it ...

Thus, Cauldron got their zero-spread Gauss weapon with the effective range of 810 m.

In plain English, Cauldron decided the matter long before you even got to know that HAGs will be added to MWO.

#3 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:28 PM

it won't matter cauldron has already decided on it and then they're going to nerf clan mechs by removing heat cap from heat sinks... (I dunno about standard ones)

I would prefer to have hags of all flavor to be useful out to at most 550 meters and anything beyond that should spread enough to not precisily hit components with more thant 2 shells from the 20 and one shell with the 30 and 40. But no cauldron loves their snuper meta...

It also won't matter if you go to the discord as it's more of an echo chamber than the forum and you'll be outvoted by long time cauldron members so... just don't ask for anything anymore cauldron is the problem with this game. PGI rarely plays the game so know nothing about it.

Edited by KursedVixen, 18 November 2023 - 12:30 PM.

#4 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 12:41 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 18 November 2023 - 12:28 PM, said:

it won't matter cauldron has already decided on it and then they're going to nerf clan mechs by removing heat cap from heat sinks... (I dunno about standard ones)

I would prefer to have hags of all flavor to be useful out to at most 550 meters and anything beyond that should spread enough to not precisily hit components with more thant 2 shells from the 20 and one shell with the 30 and 40. But no cauldron loves their snuper meta...

It also won't matter if you go to the discord as it's more of an echo chamber than the forum and you'll be outvoted by long time cauldron members so... just don't ask for anything anymore cauldron is the problem with this game. PGI rarely plays the game so know nothing about it.

Well, looks like the only working solution for us, normal people, is to drop down to tier 4 or 5 to get as far away from meta-posessed tier 1 and 2 as possible. I am already dropping down, and there's progressively less and less HAG and ERLL sniper bs, as well as there are progressively less and less premade groups that ruin matches, but more and more fun "unorthodox" builds. Looks like the solution is to flee the inner sphere of MWO and run back to welcoming hands of periphery...

Edited by JumpingHunter, 19 November 2023 - 12:42 AM.

#5 A Child of Kerensky

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 05:37 PM

So PGI is becoming more & more like Gooby-soft? Jeez, and I thought MWO would be my non-FH-style-balanced game...

#6 JPeiper

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 06:11 AM

Just looked at this thread by chance and am in agreement with Jumping Hunter and kursed Vixen etc. I used to play a faf (for about 2 years (!) and since the HAGS apeared I found L/R T destroyed a bit too quick, the ct change did not help either. You'll only see my faf now in very rare "events " in a small map, never QP , where I have to use a Nightstar/MAD due to smaller profile. This does not effect light players in the cauldron as you can't hit 'em at range anyway...
And JumpingHunter, thats exactly what I did, dropped from 1st quarter t2 back to 3.5 , could'nt get any better 'cause I'm an assault pilot and don't like light gameplay (I'm crap at it)... I played an enforcer and dropped a tier in a week !!!
I'll play in tier 5 if I have to, to avoid the cauldron " adjustments"

#7 JPeiper

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 09:19 AM

Stop press. just played 1st game of night after my last post . Solaris, 2 mins into game on the ramps ,1st contact, my Nightstar, front CT out ,dead. damage report...damage by HAG 40. THAT WAS IT !!!! (not headshot)
So that is 158 of front armor (10 rear) taken out in what I'm sure was 2 hits, prob another salvo due to CT structure but I was trying to get off ramp at the time !
This cannot be good for the game. (esp as I'm now grousing about it rather than playing...)
Going back in now, more crap like this and I'll be playing Elite instead lol.

#8 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 09:47 AM

View PostJPeiper, on 20 November 2023 - 09:19 AM, said:

Stop press. just played 1st game of night after my last post . Solaris, 2 mins into game on the ramps ,1st contact, my Nightstar, front CT out ,dead. damage report...damage by HAG 40. THAT WAS IT !!!! (not headshot)
So that is 158 of front armor (10 rear) taken out in what I'm sure was 2 hits, prob another salvo due to CT structure but I was trying to get off ramp at the time !
This cannot be good for the game. (esp as I'm now grousing about it rather than playing...)
Going back in now, more crap like this and I'll be playing Elite instead lol.

Yup, that's exactly what is wrong with HAGs. If they were just heavy ballistic version of MRMs people would be happy, but no, specific elevated kind of people needed an ultimate sniping tool to end all other sniping tools. Sometimes i really want to start some kind of rebellion against the cauldron rule, because they are literally acting to PGI just like Amaris acted to Richard Cameron...

#9 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 09:50 AM

View PostJPeiper, on 20 November 2023 - 06:11 AM, said:

Just looked at this thread by chance and am in agreement with Jumping Hunter and kursed Vixen etc. I used to play a faf (for about 2 years (!) and since the HAGS apeared I found L/R T destroyed a bit too quick, the ct change did not help either. You'll only see my faf now in very rare "events " in a small map, never QP , where I have to use a Nightstar/MAD due to smaller profile. This does not effect light players in the cauldron as you can't hit 'em at range anyway...
And JumpingHunter, thats exactly what I did, dropped from 1st quarter t2 back to 3.5 , could'nt get any better 'cause I'm an assault pilot and don't like light gameplay (I'm crap at it)... I played an enforcer and dropped a tier in a week !!!
I'll play in tier 5 if I have to, to avoid the cauldron " adjustments"

Welcome to the club, buddy. I have a hope that if enough people will drop from their high tiers, this would negate lack of new blood in MWO and will actually make matchmaking able to take tier division in consideration, so we wont have low-tiers being shoved in a match with most of players from tier 2 or 1. Maybe we could repopulate the low tiers like that, but that are just thoughts...

Edited by JumpingHunter, 21 November 2023 - 09:50 AM.

#10 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 21 November 2023 - 10:38 AM

Next patch: removing heat cap from clan mech double heat sinks that'll go well.

does TTK Count sucide due to overheat? because if this nerf is that bad i'll overheat to kill someone on purpose.

Edited by KursedVixen, 21 November 2023 - 10:41 AM.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 November 2023 - 02:10 PM

Ran across the Lore description of HAGS. We know for PGI (and Caldron's) purpose, and it is not even close to to RACs. Then with the spread removal, it is even further away from that description. Maybe HAGs should not stayed with 5dmg/slug but dropped it to 2dmg/slug or even 1dmg/slug with the per patch spread. IS does not even have anything close to it unless PGI/Caldron intents to make a change with RACs, decreasing their damage over time.

What is funny is that there were posts when RAC were introduced as overpowered POS, but after a few patches they are rarely seen. Just saying that both HAGs and RAC need more work, though with this being a PVP FPS game, not sure if a reworked RAC would be of any help.

And if PGI were to introduce Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle (or SB Gauss), nothing special there, since in its description it is supposed to be a LBX version of the GR.

The Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle is a variation on the Gauss Rifle developed by Clan Hell's Horses in 3068. Hoping to stay ahead of the increasing technological curve, they apparently used similar design principles to the Lyran Alliance's Heavy Gauss Rifle. To compensate for its drawbacks, however, Horse scientists used a series of capacitors and launching tubes to fire a multitude of smaller-caliber Gauss slugs. The resulting high rate of fire, akin almost to Rotary Autocannons, made these weapons very effective against battle armor and Combat Vehicles.

The HAG 20 is the smallest and lightest of the HAG series.
Rules

#12 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 01:15 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 21 November 2023 - 02:10 PM, said:

Ran across the Lore description of HAGS. We know for PGI (and Caldron's) purpose, and it is not even close to to RACs. Then with the spread removal, it is even further away from that description. Maybe HAGs should not stayed with 5dmg/slug but dropped it to 2dmg/slug or even 1dmg/slug with the per patch spread. IS does not even have anything close to it unless PGI/Caldron intents to make a change with RACs, decreasing their damage over time.

What is funny is that there were posts when RAC were introduced as overpowered POS, but after a few patches they are rarely seen. Just saying that both HAGs and RAC need more work, though with this being a PVP FPS game, not sure if a reworked RAC would be of any help.

And if PGI were to introduce Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle (or SB Gauss), nothing special there, since in its description it is supposed to be a LBX version of the GR.

Interesting to imagine how would HAGs feel if they were akin of RACs, but nowadays i see WAY less RACs than there were before the new weapons patch. Almost no more Nightstars with 4xRAC5 or 2xRAC5 + 2xRAC2, but instead Kodiaks and Direwolves with 4xHAG20 and other similar builds. But i would prefer to have something closer to LB-X functionality, to be honest, as i think it would be easier to balance out a weapon with spread, instead of with a constant blinding DPS.

#13 Sealiha

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 07:39 AM

I've managed two headshot kills through random firing so far since the HAG spread was removed. Even with a pair of 20s, these things have become far more effective at range than should have been implemented or intended, and when you start moving up to 30/40 HAGs, they become pin point devastating up to 1000m.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users