Can't Use Text Chat

13 replies to this topic

#1 Neirial

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts
  • Locationinside your walls

Posted 26 May 2024 - 03:24 PM

When in a match, I can't send any chat messages. I can type whatever I want into the chat box, but no matter what key I press, the message will never be sent. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game and reset my keybinds, and the issue still persists. What causes this, and is there a workaround?

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 May 2024 - 04:09 AM

Now that is a weird one. Hitting the Enter key sends the chat through then closes the chat while hitting Esc key clears/closes the chat window.

Are you running any mods, usually for sound? Disable any overlays, Steam, Xbox, Discord, etc.

#3 Neirial

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 10:11 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 May 2024 - 04:09 AM, said:

Now that is a weird one. Hitting the Enter key sends the chat through then closes the chat while hitting Esc key clears/closes the chat window.

Are you running any mods, usually for sound? Disable any overlays, Steam, Xbox, Discord, etc.

No mods, Discord's off, and disabling the Steam overlay didn't help. However, after messing around with the controls, it appears my laptop's enter key is actually "numpad enter," which I suspect is the problem. Truly, MWO is a flawless masterpiece.

Edited by Neirial, 28 May 2024 - 10:18 AM.

#4 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 28 May 2024 - 12:06 PM

View PostNeirial, on 28 May 2024 - 10:11 AM, said:

No mods, Discord's off, and disabling the Steam overlay didn't help. However, after messing around with the controls, it appears my laptop's enter key is actually "numpad enter," which I suspect is the problem. Truly, MWO is a flawless masterpiece.
That would be your laptop's fault not MWO just set the button to chat to whatever your 'enter' key registers as

Edited by KursedVixen, 28 May 2024 - 12:06 PM.

#5 Neirial

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 12:51 PM

View PostKursedVixen, on 28 May 2024 - 12:06 PM, said:

That would be your laptop's fault not MWO just set the button to chat to whatever your 'enter' key registers as

Unfortunately, there isn't an option to rebind ''send chat" or anything like that, only to rebind what key opens chat. Hence my salt.

Edited by Neirial, 28 May 2024 - 03:05 PM.

#6 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 04:31 PM

View PostNeirial, on 28 May 2024 - 12:51 PM, said:

Unfortunately, there isn't an option to rebind ''send chat" or anything like that, only to rebind what key opens chat. Hence my salt.
okay that bit is MWO's fault...

guess you could buy a usb keyboard.... but that cost money so yeah.

Edited by KursedVixen, 28 May 2024 - 04:33 PM.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 04:43 PM

Interesting but it does make sense for a laptop. Also tested on a Desktop, in-combat chat only is sent when hitting the keyboard Enter but nada if hit the numpad Enter Key on number pad. Though in-mechlab chat works with both.

So need to look for shortcuts key commands for laptops where the user is not using an external keyboard Posted Image None of the following would work with my Desktop though. If using an external mouse, you may be able to setup a macro for that enter key.

Try using the Function Key + enter.

If your keyboard doesn't have a dedicated Enter key, you can type the Enter key by pressing Fn-Return. That's why some Return keys have “Enter” printed in small type above the word “Return.

Or use CTRL + J or CTRL + M as an alternative to Enter . They are the control characters for linefeed (LF) and carriage return (CR)

Or CNTRL key + Enter

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 May 2024 - 04:52 PM.

#8 Neirial

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 05:11 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 May 2024 - 04:43 PM, said:

Try using the Function Key + enter.

If your keyboard doesn't have a dedicated Enter key, you can type the Enter key by pressing Fn-Return. That's why some Return keys have “Enter” printed in small type above the word “Return.

Or use CTRL + J or CTRL + M as an alternative to Enter . They are the control characters for linefeed (LF) and carriage return (CR)

Or CNTRL key + Enter

Unfortunately, none of those worked. Thanks for trying to help, but it looks like I'm going to just have to buy a full keyboard.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 05:14 PM

Looking at a few other items, you could setup an Auto Hotkey, so that when the Keypad Return is hit, it returns with the Keyboard Enter key.

#10 Neirial

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 06:13 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 May 2024 - 05:14 PM, said:

Looking at a few other items, you could setup an Auto Hotkey, so that when the Keypad Return is hit, it returns with the Keyboard Enter key.

That did it. Thank you so much!

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 06:50 PM

View PostNeirial, on 28 May 2024 - 06:13 PM, said:

That did it. Thank you so much!

Sweet./ Could you post the syntax you used, and which version of AutoHotKey? I figured my issue in actually setting it up was the syntax between the newer version and the older versions are different :)

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 May 2024 - 06:51 PM.

#12 Neirial

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 06:54 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 May 2024 - 06:50 PM, said:

Sweet./ Could you post the syntax you used, and which version of AutoHotKey? I figured my issue in actually setting it up was the syntax between the newer version and the older versions are different Posted Image

I used 2.0 from https://www.autohotkey.com, and the syntax I used is incredibly barebones:
NumpadEnter::Enter

Edited by Neirial, 28 May 2024 - 06:56 PM.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 08:01 PM

View PostNeirial, on 28 May 2024 - 06:54 PM, said:

I used 2.0 from https://www.autohotkey.com, and the syntax I used is incredibly barebones:
NumpadEnter::Enter

haha.. I see what I did wrong.. I was using syntax for the older version!!.. yeap, that worked

#14 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 07:45 AM

glad you sorted it out...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users