- - - - -

Missing Something About Ammo Explosion Damage?

13 replies to this topic

#1 zer0dol

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 02:45 AM

So recentley me and a friend of mine noticed something that we never paid much attention to before. We're somewhat new to MWO. Well, he played before but I'm a new player. Yet we're still both confused about it.

Usually you die without ST if you are running L or XL IS engines. Clans can survive without one ST. That is understandable by us.

If your ammo explode you just take N damage depending on how much ammo left. He assumes that it happens instanteniously but I think that it may happen over time. We thought about it because he just melted an Atlas by destroying its ST and it didn't happend instantly as if he was running L/XL engines. I shot a bunch of Atlases on testing grounds after that and without ST his CT just burned down to zero over a couple of seconds in 100% of the cases. I'm not sure what was happening so I hope that anyone can answer that. Is that some sort of ammo burning through the CT as I thought it or it's some sort of feature of Atlas mechs? Or even anything else that we missed?

Edited by zer0dol, 24 January 2024 - 04:39 AM.

#2 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2024 - 03:59 AM

Just to provide a general Idea, I am thinking its Heat related . That Atlas likely had Override on . Was it already somewhat damaged, if so, where ?

If you google "mwo heat transfer destroyed sidetorso", you find alot of threads going into this . I am also confident some of the friendly, more knowledgeable people will chime in and go into more detail than I can at the moment (time restraints) .

Edited by Besh, 24 January 2024 - 04:01 AM.

#3 zer0dol

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 04:10 AM

View PostBesh, on 24 January 2024 - 03:59 AM, said:

Was it already somewhat damaged, if so, where ?

I'm not sure about that. He didn't mentioned that and told me about it after testing grounds.
Not sure about override tho since it happens to fully intact testing grounds Atlas targets. I doubt that they spawn in with override on. But heat-kill is somewhat reasonable idea, thanks!

Edited by zer0dol, 24 January 2024 - 04:38 AM.

#4 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 January 2024 - 07:49 AM

View Postzer0dol, on 24 January 2024 - 04:10 AM, said:

I'm not sure about that. He didn't mentioned that and told me about it after testing grounds.
Not sure about override tho since it happens to fully intact testing grounds Atlas targets. I doubt that they spawn in with override on. But heat-kill is somewhat reasonable idea, thanks!

Ah ok . I think I misunderstood . From your initial post, I assumed it had happened in an actual Match and you later tried to recreate in testing grounds .

Edited by Besh, 24 January 2024 - 07:49 AM.

#5 zer0dol

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 08:41 AM

View PostBesh, on 24 January 2024 - 07:49 AM, said:

I assumed it had happened in an actual Match and you later tried to recreate in testing grounds .

I kind of messed up too. He just said something like "i think I set Atlas on fire" so I thought that he did that in a match as well. Sorry for confusion

#6 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 12:25 PM

I believe the OP is correct. Ammo destruction effect is not instantaneous but happens over the next few seconds. That's been my observation as well but I have no actual proof or data to back it up.

#7 PsionicMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 12:33 PM

From personal experience that i have from dying to a rare ammo explosion, it does seem to take a few moments before death. I noticed sparks coming out of my mech before i blew up XD

#8 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 January 2024 - 02:15 PM

View Postzer0dol, on 24 January 2024 - 02:45 AM, said:

So recentley me and a friend of mine noticed something that we never paid much attention to before. We're somewhat new to MWO. Well, he played before but I'm a new player. Yet we're still both confused about it.

Usually you die without ST if you are running L or XL IS engines. Clans can survive without one ST. That is understandable by us.

If your ammo explode you just take N damage depending on how much ammo left. He assumes that it happens instanteniously but I think that it may happen over time. We thought about it because he just melted an Atlas by destroying its ST and it didn't happend instantly as if he was running L/XL engines. I shot a bunch of Atlases on testing grounds after that and without ST his CT just burned down to zero over a couple of seconds in 100% of the cases. I'm not sure what was happening so I hope that anyone can answer that. Is that some sort of ammo burning through the CT as I thought it or it's some sort of feature of Atlas mechs? Or even anything else that we missed?

If you hammer on that Testing Grounds Atlas enough to trigger an ammo explosion (there's only a 10% chance of destroyed explosive ammo going off, btw,) you'll notice a nifty "muffled explosion" effect as the ammo cooks off; that's what the "I think I lit an Atlas on fire" comment was about. After a short delay to show the nifty effect, the ammo will cook off, and damage will transfer from the ST to CT as normal.

#9 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 07:17 PM

I've observed this as well with an atlas in the testing grounds-shooting out a side torso.

There is a muffled boom, sparks fly, big boom and the atlas goes down.

I usually choose frozen city for testing as there is a light, assault (atlas) and a heavy all close together.

#10 zer0dol

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 09:07 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 24 January 2024 - 02:15 PM, said:

If you hammer on that Testing Grounds Atlas enough to trigger an ammo explosion (there's only a 10% chance of destroyed explosive ammo going off, btw,) you'll notice a nifty "muffled explosion" effect as the ammo cooks off;

Yep that's exactly what I was thinking about. So looks like my initial assumption was correct, thanks!
But there's another question then. If chance of ammo explosion is so small, why was it happening so often? Like literally. Every test I've made before and right after initial post ended up like that. Even if I managed to destroy testing grounds Atlas's ST in minimum hits possible. But now it looks like 10% chance is working properly lol. I'm so confused by the game's calculations now

#11 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 01:09 AM

Just to clarify Light Fusion Engines and Clan XL Engines behave the same in regards of ST destruction. One Sidetorso is blown, you're still alive, just with a lower speed, heat dissipation and heat capacity is reduced. Goes the second Torso, the Mech is down.

Ammo Explosions indeed happen after a few seconds and the damage transfers through the mech until it reaches the CT. Training grounds btw I believe is not behaving in terms of crit calculation like the live server does. SO better not make any conclusions about critchances via the testing grounds.

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 January 2024 - 11:57 AM

View Postzer0dol, on 24 January 2024 - 09:07 PM, said:

Yep that's exactly what I was thinking about. So looks like my initial assumption was correct, thanks!
But there's another question then. If chance of ammo explosion is so small, why was it happening so often? Like literally. Every test I've made before and right after initial post ended up like that. Even if I managed to destroy testing grounds Atlas's ST in minimum hits possible. But now it looks like 10% chance is working properly lol. I'm so confused by the game's calculations now

Well, you're not really surprised in statistics until the probability of occurrence falls below 3%, and there are three tons of ammo in that Atlas D side torso in the Testing Grounds' stock configuration - meaning that you've got a 30% chance of at least one ammo explosion (or 2 tons, if you're hitting the AC/20 torso, but I assume you dropped on Tourmaline because that's the most convenient TG Atlas.) =]

#13 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 January 2024 - 02:11 PM

To the extent of my knowledge you are correct, the ammo explosion seems to apply in chunks rather than all at once. Note, of course, that damage from destroyed legs and arms transfers to side torsos and damage from destroyed side torsos transfers to CT. With how much damage potential each ammo bin has, just one exploding bin can completely wreck your mech.

Edited by Horseman, 26 January 2024 - 02:13 PM.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 January 2024 - 03:36 PM

It only goes off in chunks if you have multiple tons of ammo - there's a delay, and then it cooks off, which generally destroys you unless you're saved by CASE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users