Hatamoto-Chi Shugo Appreciation Thread

6 replies to this topic

#1 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 08 January 2024 - 11:44 AM

I picked this hero mech on sale, and I'm very impressed with it. For once, I made a spending choice in MWO that I didn't regret. wholeheartedly recommend the Shugo.

As you probably know, there's a 50% sale on all hero mechs, and I wanted to dump my MCs, but couldn't pick among a few good options. So I tried answering two questions: does the mech seem strong? Does the hero mech do something that the normal C-Bills variants do not? And when I looked at a ton of hero mechs this way, Shugo ticked all the boxes with a good lead on other options. It's a very strong mech indeed, good brawler, feels like an Atlas done right. I do better with it than with Atlas, despite the whooping 20 ton weight advantage on the Atlas's side. And it's not even because of better mobility; as a brawler I often find myself pinned in bad spots (due to preceding poor decisions, of course), and still melt faces and do very well.

Here's my loadout. Please share yours!
https://mwo.nav-alph...7bb0af9e_HTM-SG

I first ran with two LB10-Xs, but later switched to AC-10s and I think it's better this way (the LBs were also strong).

Also, I literally never see Hatamoto-Chi in my battles, let alone the Shugo. Is there a reason? Are the other variants bad?

Edited by DavidStarr, 08 January 2024 - 11:45 AM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 08 January 2024 - 11:57 AM

Nice build. I built mine during my love affair with Atemis SRM4's. Combined with a spread quirk, the SRM's on this are darn near pinpoint damage. And the LBX spread quirk is too good to pass up.

https://mwo.nav-alph...f758e32b_HTM-SG

#3 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 08 January 2024 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, I liked the LBX spread quirk and it was part of the reason why I picked this mech, but ACs seem all around better - same damage, but without splash.

I like your build, gonna give it a try, thanks! I noticed that you can't equip Artemis because of not enough slots, but I didn't consider dropping to SRM4.

Edited by DavidStarr, 08 January 2024 - 12:42 PM.

#4 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 08 January 2024 - 12:54 PM

How about this, though?
https://mwo.nav-alph...e8192d9a_HTM-SG

#5 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,765 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 January 2024 - 03:12 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 08 January 2024 - 12:28 PM, said:

Yeah, I liked the LBX spread quirk and it was part of the reason why I picked this mech, but ACs seem all around better - same damage, but without splash.

Standard autocannons are good for frontloaded pinpoint damage (FPPD) but the LB-X has compensations. Whenever you damage structure with any weapon, you have a chance to inflict a critical hit that can destroy weapons, heat sinks, etc. You also inflict 15% extra damage, and LB-X autocannons have a boosted chance to crit. They're also about 25% cooler, which doesn't mean as much with ballistics as it does with energy weapons, but it adds up. They're balanced around that advantage in order to offset their spread - so if you're getting a spread reduction, an LB-X is stronger than normal.

This doesn't mean that you have to pick that weapon; just that it's a stronger option if you're going for a splat build. Alternatively, you can pick a standard AC for the pinpoint damage, and use the SRMs to soften the target up.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,765 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 January 2024 - 03:23 PM

Swapping for LB-2X will give you better range flexibility with lower spread at SRM range; paradoxically, Artemis might be more tonnage than you really need to spend (due to the spread quirk,) and upgrading to a standard guidance SRM6 will Dramatically Increase your maximum DPS.

#7 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,765 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 January 2024 - 03:35 PM

LB-X autocannons can be better or worse than standard ACs depending on what you need to do with them. If you're doing poke trades, it's going to be better to go standard, since you won't control the range, and spread will be an issue. For close-range (or midrange dakka) the LB-X is a stronger option, although the two larger calibers are a bit harder to compare (due to having different cooldowns.) If you're trying to get up close and personal, very often an LB-X can get the job done well enough for less heat - and bonus damage from crits once the enemy is opened up - especially if you have enough raw firepower to compensate for the spread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users