2 replies to this topic

#1 AnSolloc

Rookie

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMissouti

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:36 AM

I'm puzzled by the ineffectiveness of weapons in MWO. I see want in posted for selected weapons in building and equipping an Ebon Jaguar: 1 Ultracannon 20 & 6 ERML. Posted at 55 damage alpha. Increased damage with UAC 20 double tap with heat penatly. Yet in game fighting a Centurion AH(L) at 200 to 250 range firing weapons as they recycled, yielded no significant damage to the Centurion which overheated and shut down. I delivered 2 UAC 20 double taps and a total of 12 ERML shots to the Centurion without significant damage or core killing the center torso. I estimate damge points between 90 (minimum) and 150 (maximum), granted there would be some scatter damage to the torso. Keep in mind that the Centurion was overheated and still for part of the onslaught, evenso my expectation would have been a kill. The Centurion killed me and two other mechs who actively engaging him.
I do not see this a on isolated game event, but a increasingly more common occurance, AKA increasingly ineffective weapons or damage registry. So i'm I broken or is there something else going on.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,842 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:08 AM

There's two ways weapon hits fail to register like that. The first is stuttering jump jets or bouncing into terrain to hope that the game engine messes up the calculation. The other is connection latency, where your PC isn't communicating well with the server and the server doesn't get the message that you fired until after the damage would have arrived (or the flip side, where the target isn't communicating well and doesn't get the message from the server that the damage arrived).

Given what you're seeing, I'm guessing your connection could be better. How's your ping rate?

#3 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 01:36 PM

View PostAnSolloc, on 08 February 2024 - 09:36 AM, said:

I'm puzzled by the ineffectiveness of weapons in MWO. I see want in posted for selected weapons in building and equipping an Ebon Jaguar: 1 Ultracannon 20 & 6 ERML. Posted at 55 damage alpha. Increased damage with UAC 20 double tap with heat penatly. Yet in game fighting a Centurion AH(L) at 200 to 250 range firing weapons as they recycled, yielded no significant damage to the Centurion which overheated and shut down. I delivered 2 UAC 20 double taps and a total of 12 ERML shots to the Centurion without significant damage or core killing the center torso. I estimate damge points between 90 (minimum) and 150 (maximum), granted there would be some scatter damage to the torso. Keep in mind that the Centurion was overheated and still for part of the onslaught, evenso my expectation would have been a kill. The Centurion killed me and two other mechs who actively engaging him.
I do not see this a on isolated game event, but a increasingly more common occurance, AKA increasingly ineffective weapons or damage registry. So i'm I broken or is there something else going on.

I understand the issue behind this, however i believe that what i see as weapon ineffectiveness is not what you described. I think problem on your end is thar you got a high ping spikes regularly (sadly this is actually an issue in PGI servers), or enemy mechs get high ping and strong lag shield often, which usuallt isexpected to be the case with light mechs. Probably it's still related to connection issues, i can relate to this strongly as i live far away from servers and i experience it a lot.

However i think that an actual weapon ineffectiveness is anothey completely different issue, it is that weapons seem to be much weaker thsn you would expect them to be even when you are sure that all your shots connect. It's not related to any ping or faulty calculations, it's more of a balancing issue that you can't expect a light mech to be easily killed by moderately accurate AC20 fire. In TT Battletech any time you ate an AC20 shot you would have to resort to hiding around and dodging shots, as it would shoot-off most of your component's armor in most cases. In MWO you can easily take 3,4,5 or even 6 AC20 shots without noticing sometimes. This makes weapons feel less reliable, despite them still being roughly in the same relation to each other in terms of firepower. And it makes lighter mechs far too prevalent and dominant than they should have been, because it's so easy to shrug off weapon fire that would normally severed your mech or killed you outright in one or very few shots...

In short - i think TTK is way off in MWO right now, and it is also is not equally distributed, with lighter mechs getting higher relative TTK values if compared to heavier mechs...

Edited by JumpingHunter, 08 February 2024 - 01:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users